Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2008, 21:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Strange Idle RPM on Swift

Today i had Given my Swift for a regular 30,000 KM servicing at Apra Auto, Okhla. When i went to take the car in the evening i noticed that when I start the Engine, The idle RPM had gone upto 2000 RPM, And when i switch on the AC it moves in the region of 1500-1800 RPM.

This is quite strange as i had given the car for servicing and the problem arose after that. After schecking with my service advisor, He told me there is some issue with your Air Filter I have a Green Filter in My car!!!

What should i do??? He has called me again tomorrow morning!!! While moving the RPM is fine but as soon as I press the Clutch the IDLE RPM again goes back to the region of 2000!!!
Old 5th July 2008, 21:32   #2
ECM
BHPian

May be some moisture issue after servicing,do post the diagnosis once you get car to back,good luck in advance.
Old 5th July 2008, 21:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

dont think the green filter could cause this. ASk them to check the lamda/oxygen sensor.
Old 7th July 2008, 22:31   #4
BHPian

Get the TPS sensor and throttle body cleaned. Should solve the problem but do let us know what happened?
Old 10th January 2009, 17:27   #5
BHPian

Guys, I don't want to start a new thread so I am writing it here. During the last service, I complained about pickup drop in my swift (my swift refused to cross 100 kmph even in express highways). The man who test drove it told me that it will be all ok when the valve tappet is adjusted. Today I see the RPM do not cross 5K no matter how hard you press it in idle. Here I am not pressing the clutch at all. Even the accelerator is feeling a bit heavy. What can be the problem?
Old 10th January 2009, 17:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
Guys, I don't want to start a new thread so I am writing it here. During the last service, I complained about pickup drop in my swift (my swift refused to cross 100 kmph even in express highways). The man who test drove it told me that it will be all ok when the valve tappet is adjusted. Today I see the RPM do not cross 5K no matter how hard you press it in idle. Here I am not pressing the clutch at all. Even the accelerator is feeling a bit heavy. What can be the problem?
Did he set the valve tappet clearance? the same thing happened on my alto. the valves were overtightened. valve setting should be done on cold engine for more accuracy.
Old 10th January 2009, 17:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dont rev it to 5000 rpm on idle. While driving, see what RPM the rev limiter is kicking in. I have doubts on the spark plugs.
Old 10th January 2009, 18:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Did he set the valve tappet clearance? the same thing happened on my alto. the valves were overtightened. valve setting should be done on cold engine for more accuracy.
Hello Amit, when I went to take the delivery, all he said was it was too tight and now its ok. Should I ask him for any more info on it? And yes, it was done on cold engine. The car was kept overnight there (Mandovi Motors, Blore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Dont rev it to 5000 rpm on idle. While driving, see what RPM the rev limiter is kicking in. I have doubts on the spark plugs.
Hello Vikram, I tried it now. In the second gear, max I can push it to 50kmph and it does not go so easily and fast too. Its like the car is saying "enough man, I cant" ! :-(
Old 10th January 2009, 19:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Get the TPS sensor and throttle body cleaned. Should solve the problem but do let us know what happened?
Throttle body cleaning is adviced very easily although the authorised service centre s (toyota honda ) never encourage it i wonder why ?
Any experience about it getting it from out done what exactly is done in it ?
Regards
SaaJan
Old 11th January 2009, 02:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Throttle body cleaning is adviced very easily although the authorised service centre s (toyota honda ) never encourage it i wonder why ?
Any experience about it getting it from out done what exactly is done in it ?
Regards
SaaJan
Throttle body cleaning and intake manifold cleaning should only be done by experienced people since it is a delicate job in mpfi vehicles and requires handling of precision components. I personally do not recommend such cleanings unless specifically indicated. Also keeping your air filter clean and getting the car serviced regularly as well as using good clean fuel should be enough to prevent fouling of throttle body and intake manifold.
Old 11th January 2009, 08:20   #11
BHPian

Two paths to the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Today i had Given my Swift for a regular 30,000 KM servicing at Apra Auto, Okhla. When i went to take the car in the evening i noticed that when I start the Engine, The idle RPM had gone upto 2000 RPM, And when i switch on the AC it moves in the region of 1500-1800 RPM.

This is quite strange as i had given the car for servicing and the problem arose after that. After schecking with my service advisor, He told me there is some issue with your Air Filter I have a Green Filter in My car!!!

What should i do??? He has called me again tomorrow morning!!! While moving the RPM is fine but as soon as I press the Clutch the IDLE RPM again goes back to the region of 2000!!!
The problem could have cropped up because he changed your perfectly normal throttle body for a defective one from his friends vehicle. He then increased the idling rpm( because the Idling stepper motor was faulty) by rotating the screw which is set at factory and never to be touched outside of the factory.

The other possibilty is fouling up of one of the sensors not including the rpm sensor and also possible clogging of the PCV valve.

Greens have nothing to do with the problem but the service guys are going to find it the culprit even if you complain of a rear suspension problem.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 11th January 2009 at 08:24.
Old 11th January 2009, 12:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
The problem could have cropped up because he changed your perfectly normal throttle body for a defective one from his friends vehicle. He then increased the idling rpm( because the Idling stepper motor was faulty) by rotating the screw which is set at factory and never to be touched outside of the factory.

The other possibilty is fouling up of one of the sensors not including the rpm sensor and also possible clogging of the PCV valve.

Greens have nothing to do with the problem but the service guys are going to find it the culprit even if you complain of a rear suspension problem.
drpullockaran, M4ugr8's problem was solved long ago. He started this thread in July. I did a continue to this thread yesterday with slightly a different problem. See below

Quote:
When Vikram_d asked to drive and see the rev limiter, my car refuses to go beyond 55kmph in 2nd gear and at this time the RPM was between 3K to 3.5K. Both the speed and RPM not moving above this.
Old 11th January 2009, 13:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

adi whats the max speed your car is doing on a long stretch in the top gear and at what RPM ?
Old 11th January 2009, 13:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
adi whats the max speed your car is doing on a long stretch in the top gear and at what RPM ?
Amit, 100 kmph with full throttle. Sorry I did not keep an eye on RPM. Taking this into consideration, the MASS recommended valve tappet adjustment. I have to try and find some highways to check the RPM on high speeds. But I am highly dissappointed with the 2nd gear speeds (only can reach 55kmph with full throttle)
Old 11th January 2009, 13:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amit, 100 kmph with full throttle. Sorry I did not keep an eye on RPM. Taking this into consideration, the MASS recommended valve tappet adjustment. I have to try and find some highways to check the RPM on high speeds. But I am highly dissappointed with the 2nd gear speeds (only can reach 55kmph with full throttle)
100 kmph is definitely too low on swift. different people in MASS will tell you different things to be done on the car. how much KMS have you done on the ODO? check the compression of all the cylinders. if compression in any cylinder is low then you need to do the valve setting.also check the health and gaps of the sparkplugs. i hope the airfilter is not clogged.
did they check the operation of the butterfly valve on the throttle body? make sure its not sticking anywhere and opens fully on full throttle. accelerator feeling hard is coz of butterfly valve.

Can you give a list of works done on your car.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 11th January 2009 at 13:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks