Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 11:29   #1

NHC ZX - Leak under/near the hood

Hello Everyone,

I own a Honda city ZX Vtec. The car is not even 2 years old and is working fine.

Recently when I parked my car in a multi level parking and I was walking off, I heard some dripping sound. I went close and bend down to see something dripping under the car. It was kinda located in the middle of the vehicle a bit closer to the hood but it didnt seem to be directly under the engine.

Something was dripping and it was like transparent in colour. Thus it could have been water or fuel. Though I didnt smell fuel but my ability to smell isnt great becoz of cold at times. And it was little more than just a few drops. I was puzzled and thought I will come later and check it out. I came in an hour and the dripping had stopped.

Though I didn't notice such an event again but I am wondering what could it be. It was a dry day and I was using the A/C. Was it water from AC or something related that was dripping or so.

Has such a thing happened to anyone before. Would be glad if someone can tell me if i should do something or it was something else which is normal.

Thanks,

JG
jackgreat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2008, 13:53   #2
BHPian

The smell would clear all doubts. Most probably is the AC.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

its mostly the water from AC! if you are really concerned then do a quick check of opening the hood and check for any visible leaks any where, and if not satisfied just do a casual visit to the service center and have a technician check the car, it does not seem very serious though!
rider60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2008, 14:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

It has to be water. Since you were able to hear the drip, I assume that the leakage was big enough for it to be the AC only.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

This is normal. Due to humid weather, the AC water dripping is really a lot now
Old 7th July 2008, 14:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

My car creates a pool every time it is parked for more than 15 minutes. It is pretty humid here & water drips all the time. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure it is water, feel it & see.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

Your AC is working as it is supposed to, look underneath and see if the water is originating from a small rubber tube handing near the fire wall and confirm.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2008, 10:17   #8

Thanks

Thanks guys for assuring me that it is most likely to be A/C water. Though I didnt notice such a thing again off late but if I do then will surely check it out. Is such a water stored and then drops or it just falls.

When I view a thread I see my original post at the bottom and most recent one at the top. Can I change this?? Didnt find anything in the options though.
Old 17th January 2009, 23:12   #9
BHPian

OHC A/C drip

Guys, 2 days back after I finished a short drive I noticed a rather bigger patch of water drip. this is located right behind the front tire (right side) in line with the front door hinge. It dripped for a good 3 / 5 mins. but the interesting point is i used the A/c only for 10mins. It was also a hot afternoon.
Is there something I should check? or is it normal?
Old 18th January 2009, 16:14   #10
BHPian

johnda - Was the car washed before you started the short drive? Sometimes water collects in the door sills / other places (also possible with the way the car is parked). So after you stopped, the water could have come to the front and drained out.
Old 18th January 2009, 16:29   #11
BHPian

It can be the A/c water. Sometimes it can also be coolent, excess coolent sometimes is thrown by the pipes in form or small drops.
Old 18th January 2009, 16:39   #12
BHPian

No washing, only a small 15 min drive and this drip happened after the drive.
I checked again but no issues after that.
I want to be sure that was the A/C drain, any ways to know that there is nothing else wrong?
Old 18th January 2009, 17:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
No washing, only a small 15 min drive and this drip happened after the drive.
I checked again but no issues after that.
I want to be sure that was the A/C drain, any ways to know that there is nothing else wrong?
As long it is water it could only be the only AC water. There is no other water in the car except the wiper water tank 'the one with supplies water to the spray on your boneet that sprays on to your windshield'. Just check if you are losing water in that tank. If not, its the AC.

If you have the slighest doubt if thats coolant, then please check the coolant levels. You would notice a green fluid stagnant and not just water. Highly unlikely though
Old 18th January 2009, 17:30   #14
BHPian

fuel leaking in baleno

for last few days i was having the smell of petrol in the passenger cabin. then suddenly yesterday the smell was horrible. i looked under the hood and found a rubber pipe leaking. the fuel tank was full at that time. i immediately took it to the service centre. its 3 kms from my place. by then half of the fuel had gone. when i reached there the service guy told me that it was the return pipe that was leaking. he immediately replaced it with a new one without any charge. but today morning the same thing happened. it was the new pipe which was leaking. i again took it back to the service station. the service guy told me that the original pipe has wire mesh in the wall and that is not in stock at the moment. and it would cost 2300rs. the rubber pipe he had put was just a temporary solution. he again put in a new rubber pipe till the original one arrives. but is it safe to drive with such a pipe? my car has cng kit installed. has it got anything to do with this problem?
Old 19th January 2009, 21:08   #15
BHPian

Its better dude you try to get the original pipe as fast as possible or goto a other service station.

You must use proper products for your safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
for last few days i was having the smell of petrol in the passenger cabin. then suddenly yesterday the smell was horrible. i looked under the hood and found a rubber pipe leaking. the fuel tank was full at that time. i immediately took it to the service centre. its 3 kms from my place. by then half of the fuel had gone. when i reached there the service guy told me that it was the return pipe that was leaking. he immediately replaced it with a new one without any charge. but today morning the same thing happened. it was the new pipe which was leaking. i again took it back to the service station. the service guy told me that the original pipe has wire mesh in the wall and that is not in stock at the moment. and it would cost 2300rs. the rubber pipe he had put was just a temporary solution. he again put in a new rubber pipe till the original one arrives. but is it safe to drive with such a pipe? my car has cng kit installed. has it got anything to do with this problem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks