Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 11:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Whew, i was about to go for a K&N Filter. I reckon i may have to start looking at other options. Probably, Green Cotton!
Old 9th July 2008, 11:55   #17
BHPian

@amit, Was the AC on when you were accelerating?

End of the day, k&N would not make a lot of Diff as it is a 800 cc Engine, I got k&N Conical filter with the full plumbing and everything, Didnt feel a lot of difference, So I went for headers.

I can undertand your situation as I was in the same situation before, you would have thought that K&N would completely change the way your car would handle and end of the day it dosent isnt it??, Go for headers mate, It would certainly change things!

Best of luck
Old 9th July 2008, 12:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
@amit, Was the AC on when you were accelerating?

End of the day, k&N would not make a lot of Diff as it is a 800 cc Engine, I got k&N Conical filter with the full plumbing and everything, Didnt feel a lot of difference, So I went for headers.

I can undertand your situation as I was in the same situation before, you would have thought that K&N would completely change the way your car would handle and end of the day it dosent isnt it??, Go for headers mate, It would certainly change things!

Best of luck
no man AC wasnt on. no one can race in alto 800 cc with ac on. it will be a joke. i too think personally that K&N doesnt make a lot of difference over the stock filter.

did u just go for the headers or the complete exhaust?
Old 9th July 2008, 12:09   #19
BHPian

Race eh??? I went for the full kit amit, From the engine manifold till the exhaust tip. Solved the issue of car knocking when the AC was on as well.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

@amit: Its replacemnet fikter & nota performance one. The differences one observes are:

- Better in gear accelaration in 4th & 5 th gear
- less jerks with ac on.
- slightly better mileage

The difference can hardly be noticed in the first 3 gears but the car overall feels a lot smoother. Also like Jaggu said its all about feel, may you were expecting a lot from the filter. Also more air at lower rpm will have some impact which you are noticing.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@amit: Its replacemnet fikter & nota performance one. The differences one observes are:

- Better in gear accelaration in 4th & 5 th gear
- less jerks with ac on.
- slightly better mileage

The difference can hardly be noticed in the first 3 gears but the car overall feels a lot smoother. Also like Jaggu said its all about feel, may you were expecting a lot from the filter. Also more air at lower rpm will have some impact which you are noticing.
techno as you know i am using this filter from quite a long time. but this problem i am noticing recently. i am not expecting much, what i am trying out to figure is why a stock filter is giving a faster engine response than K&N. why is my car having better pickup on stock filter than the K&N.

and yes the jerks are lesser on K&N when u release the accelerator pedal.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

how long have you been using the replacemeht filter & wafter how many kms did you notice the difference?
Old 9th July 2008, 12:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how long have you been using the replacemeht filter & wafter how many kms did you notice the difference?
well i am using it since almost one year and say 18 k kms.
i am noticing this difference since last 500 kms or so. i dont see the filter clogged though. still do u say that i should clean once and try?
Old 9th July 2008, 13:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think you should try cleaning & then check. For Indian conditions they recommend cleaning around 20k kms so may be its time.

Btw am amazed that you remembered after 18k kms how fast you used to accelerate on stock filter
Old 9th July 2008, 13:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you should try cleaning & then check. For Indian conditions they recommend cleaning around 20k kms so may be its time.

Btw am amazed that you remembered after 18k kms how fast you used to accelerate on stock filter
it was just recently that i shifted to stock ones again for a while and i found the difference. i also suspect that adulterated fuel was put in my car and might have clogged the injectors and so even when the air supply is more the fuel supply is restricted and my car runs on leaner mixture.

i will get my injectors and throttle body cleaned
Old 10th July 2008, 00:50   #26
BANNED

I think you are either expecting a lot from the K&N replacement filter or you're just being confused of the performance.
Do a proper timing and put up the results here.

But before that, do you disconnect the battery terminals every time you swap/change the filters?
Old 10th July 2008, 12:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I think you are either expecting a lot from the K&N replacement filter or you're just being confused of the performance.
Do a proper timing and put up the results here.

But before that, do you disconnect the battery terminals every time you swap/change the filters?
no i do not disconnect the battery terminals. i drive for 4-5 kms for the ecu to learn and then check on the daily road where i can race fast.
Old 10th July 2008, 12:44   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
no i do not disconnect the battery terminals. i drive for 4-5 kms for the ecu to learn and then check on the daily road where i can race fast.
This is completely wrong. ECU will only get confused and not learn anything.
Disconnect the battery terminals for atleast 10 mins while you swap the filters. Reconnect the battery. Start the car. Do not drive around slowly for the ECU to learn anything, but straight away take it to a 0-100 or above. This will let the ECU understand the increased/decreased airflow to the engine. Stop the car. Then again take it to it's max and this time, do a timing.
This will give you some productive results I think.
Old 10th July 2008, 19:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Zak is right, Amit if you drive slowly & then do the sprint, the figures will be less with any filter.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th July 2008 at 08:41.
Old 10th July 2008, 19:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
When you switch the filters, do you also disconnect the battery?
Answer to this question may answer your query!
My query is not related to this particular post but for a similar situation.
I drive a Indica TDI with K&N stock replacement filter. Does the Indica TDI have a full fledged ECU? Would the same logic of disconnecting battery mains apply?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks