Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2008, 13:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Safari TCIC 4x4 problem

I've been experiencing a strange problem for the last several weeks. The 4H & 4L indicators on the dash used to come on together when the engine was fired and remained so for sometime and then go away although the selector switch was at 2H. This was not happening before. Initially I thought that there was some problem with the selector switch and moving it from 2H to 4L a couple of times would solve the problem.

Since it used to go away I didn't bother much. But however, the 4x4 tranny would not engage when both these indicators were on. The vehicle moved in 2H mode only. When both the indicators went off, i tried to engage the 4x4 and this would engage.

Yesterday, only the 4L indicator lit up and wouldn't go off although the switch was at 2H and fortunately the 4x4 tranny also did not engage. Last night after my return I checked it out but couldn't understand anything. Now even the 4x4 tranny also wouldn't engage. I removed the selector switch and opened it up to see if it was shorted or what. Couldn't find any. This morning I removed the 20A fuse of the transfer case and the 4L indicator went off. The truck is moving around happily in 2H without any problems.

I need to know what exactly has happened or probably has happened. has anybody else faced a similar situation? I agree, my truck is 10 yr old and something or the other would give way over a period of time. The modern day 4x4 with these on the fly selector switch are suspect. The good old manual types like the old Willy's or CJ3B were wonderful.

Last edited by gd1418 : 11th July 2008 at 13:10.
Old 11th July 2008, 13:08   #2
BHPian

Guruji aapke vahan ko nazar lag gayi hai as you have been showering praises for it over the last few days.

Get it checked at your garage or TASS. They would be the best people to diagnose and fix the issue.
Old 11th July 2008, 13:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Guruji aapke vahan ko nazar lag gayi hai as you have been showering praises for it over the last few days.
How very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Get it checked at your garage or TASS. They would be the best people to diagnose and fix the issue.
TASS...? Never. It is scheduled to visit the garage shortly for this. In the meanwhile I thought let me brainstorm here..
Old 11th July 2008, 13:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
How very true.
Time for some nimbu-mirch combination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
TASS...? Never. It is scheduled to visit the garage shortly for this. In the meanwhile I thought let me brainstorm here..
Lets see what is the end result.
Old 11th July 2008, 13:24   #5
BANNED

Not exactly the same problem but have you seen this?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...now-fixed.html
Old 11th July 2008, 18:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oh no, I didn't see this thread. Going there.. Phew..!! what a fool have I been. I've extensively posted on that thread. Well, in any case will check this out too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Not exactly the same problem but have you seen this?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...now-fixed.html

Last edited by gd1418 : 11th July 2008 at 18:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks