Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:08   #1
BHPian

Leak in Exhaust pipe- Help

Hi engine - vengine (C) gurus.

A few weeks ago I noticed the exhaust note was different and not exactly smooth, however I liked the mild growl the car gave. I suspected a leak somewhere in the exhaust system
So when I took my car for a regular service 2 weeks and lifted the car on a tower lift, my guess was right. There was an inch long crack on the exhaust pipe near a bend just below the rear seats. I wanted to get it fixed however falling short of time I ignored it.

The crack is running parallel to the length of the pipe.

I recently calculated my efficiency over 3 tank fulls of LPG and found that it had dropped by almost 1 km to 8 kmpl
The air filter is new, oil has been recently changed, ac usage patterns are same and driving has not been anything exceptionally different than before. So other factors are ruled out.

Now I have the following queries
1) Does a crack/leakage in the exhaust system affect the efficiency so much?? I can understand it will ,but this much ???
2) What is the correct way of repairing such a leak? A patch welding was something the service centre guy was referring to
3) Which giving for repair does the full exhaust from the header to the end can require to be removed or only the connecting pipe can be partially disconnected.
4) If the crack is left unattended to (remote possibility though) just because I love the sound what future damages/disadvantages can I anticipate.
5) Doesn’t a crack actually reduce back pressure so it kind off functioning likes a partial FFE so will the performance drop. I noticed a sudden surge in the pickup after around 1500 to 1700 rpm. Before that the car seems sluggish with 4 onboard. What are the effect of having a leak in the exhaust pipe

MODS: I tried searching for a specific thread to leaks in exhaust but didn’t find a suitable answer to my query hence this new thread. Please merge to appropriate thread if required.
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:27   #2
BHPian

what 73 views and not one reply...

gurus i just about exhaust and not some exotic FFE setup. help.
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Well that's why no one replied. When you have a crack in the exhaust pipe, it is almost the perfect excuse to get a FFE. Why because a FFE will be cheaper than the Lancer's OE piping.

Alternately a cheaper way is to weld the crack. It may hold for a while.

My suggestion: get a new FFE with new headers, intermediate pipes and a mild muffler all tuned for low end since your running on CNG/LPG.

ps: damn, why couldn't my Lancer develop a crack in it's exhaust.
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not an expert, but will try to answer some of your queries.

Q: Does a crack/leakage in the exhaust system affect the efficiency so much?? I can understand it will ,but this much ???
A: I know that it does reduce FE, though no idea by how much. I would suggest you get it repaired instead of bothering about exactly how much FE gets reduced.

Q : What is the correct way of repairing such a leak? A patch welding was something the service centre guy was referring to.
A : Used to have this problem with our old M800 when it was used in Kerala - usually the muffler would develop holes due to rust or the place where the end pipe joins the muffler. I would get under the car, unbolt the assembly, take it to the nearby welder and get it rectified. All for 50 bucks or so, while a new muffler assembly cost around 15-20 times that much.

Q : giving for repair does the full exhaust from the header to the end can require to be removed or only the connecting pipe can be partially disconnected.
A : The whole exhaust system is made up of 2 or 3 removable parts. For the M800, I think it was 2 parts. So, remove only the part where you have the crack. Not sure how it is for the Lancer.

Q : If the crack is left unattended to (remote possibility though) just because I love the sound what future damages/disadvantages can I anticipate.
A : Pick up also gets affected. Though I have to admit I used to love the sound it made when there is a crack in the muffler.

P.S. : I love the FFE sound, but hate tampering with my car to get the mod done. Especially having to throw out the catcon. Sometimes I think it would be nice to make a small pin hole in the muffler, just for the sound.
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
When you have a crack in the exhaust pipe, it is almost the perfect excuse to get a FFE.

Alternately a cheaper way is to weld the crack. It may hold for a while.

My suggestion: get a new FFE with new headers, intermediate pipes and a mild muffler all tuned for low end since your running on CNG/LPG.

ps: damn, why couldn't my Lancer develop a crack in it's exhaust.
Vid : you have no clue of how much butter - maska has gone into convincing my dad on why i spent 33K on my ICE setup .
Now if I tell him that i want to put a new "pipe" for my lancers waste gas disposal, you better start hunting a house for me in bengaluru or you get permission from your parents for me to move into your house.

i just want a "jugaad " solution for now which means that welding is now the only option to look at. but whats important is question to my answers.
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t
but whats important is question to my answers.
And all this time I thought you wanted answers to your questions. LOL.
Old 23rd July 2008, 19:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And all this time I thought you wanted answers to your questions. LOL.
OOps looks like i overworked. time to get some cheers:

peene waalon ko peena ka bahana chahiye

Last edited by leadf00t : 23rd July 2008 at 19:21.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:49   #8
Team-BHP Support

Vineet, just to let you know the entire FFE system should set you back by around 9K.

You can patch up the leak for now. Whatever you do don't get the exhaust/muffler replaced with the OE one as the OE muffler is as expensive as a FFE.
Old 24th July 2008, 14:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Vineet, just to let you know the entire FFE system should set you back by around 9K.

You can patch up the leak for now. Whatever you do don't get the exhaust/muffler replaced with the OE one as the OE muffler is as expensive as a FFE.
yes i will remember that Vid.
There is just a crack in the pipe and nothing withe muffler/headers.
I am now looking for a quick solution to fix the leak. I will anyways get the welding done from an outside guy and not A.S.S. since they anyways freakishly expensive.

For now i am not planning of too many mods to my car. maybe a few months later.

: when are going to find some time to write in the Amsterdam travelogue.
Old 24th July 2008, 15:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Fineet - A.S.S. guys are not going to do any welding, you'll have to get it done from outside only.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Fineet - A.S.S. guys are not going to do any welding, you'll have to get it done from outside only.
Well you wont believe it ishan, but metro motors in Mahape,navi mumabi actually said that forget replacing the exhaust, we will just weld the crack. it should hold on for 2 3 years. Yes that's the word from the service adviser of Metro motors. however since I didn't have time then ,to get it done it was procrastinated.

btw now i m back in India so calling me Fineet is history now Though my client manager still bugs me by calling that on our weekly calls.
Old 24th July 2008, 21:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm....Fineet! () 2-3 years is a super optimistic estimate! Especially in Mumbai weather, expect the welding to last 2-4 months at the most.
Old 25th July 2008, 11:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

OK all you guys who are saying that damage in exhaust will increase fuel consumption - please explain me how.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks