Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2008, 08:27   #1
BHPian

Adding a timer to rear windshield wiper

My alto vxi has a standard rear wiper/washer. I want to add a "INT" (Interval) function/speed settings for the operation of the wiper. How do i go about doing the same? anyone tried this before ?
Old 1st August 2008, 01:39   #2

Installing Rear Windshield Wiper For ZEN Lx

Hi guys,

Has any one installed a Rear Windshield Wiper for Zen LX?
Has anyone tried fixing the Wiper unit for VXI (Zen)? I assume all one needs to do is drill a hole to fix the unit onto the hatch, and rest is a cake walk, right?
Is the wiper spray bottle a shared one for both front as well as back windshield or a dedicated ones in VXI zen?

Has anybody has done this modification in Bangalore?

Last edited by aah78 : 1st August 2008 at 02:51. Reason: Thread merged with older existing thread and generalised.
Old 1st August 2008, 02:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

rear wash/wipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv
I want to add a "INT" (Interval) function/speed settings for the operation of the wiper.
I'm not aware of how the Alto's wiper stalks/buttons are arranged and wired but I had a question: Aren't the front and rear INT's interlinked? If you run the front wipers at normal speed, and turn ON the rear wipers, can you adjust the rear wiper speed using INT?

Sorry if thats confusing but this is what happens on our LR3:
The intermittent (variable speed) function for the front and rear wipers is linked - the setting affects both, the front and the rear wipers. If the front wipers are run at normal speed, then the intermittent function affects only the rear wiper.

@Importtuner:
Yes, adding a rear windshield wiper to your Zen is possible - I've seen it being done at Sion Koliwada, in Mumbai.

It isn't as simple as drilling a hole - don't forget the wiring!

A long time ago I'd spoken to a service advisor at a M.A.S.S. (Mandani Motors - they've closed now); he mentioned they use a seperate reservoir for the rear wiper and they have to cut into the rear hatch (or some portion of the body) to install it. A water-line is then run from the front to the rear of the car, so you fill up both reservoirs like you've always been doing - from the front.

You'll save some money getting it done at a local garage, compared to a M.A.S.S., but it's worth having a rear wiper.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st August 2008 at 03:00. Reason: Quote added.
Old 1st August 2008, 10:21   #4
BHPian

Hi Arpandiv, that's a nice feature to add Like Aah78 has mentioned, are you planning to use the speed-control switch of the front wipers to control the speed of the rear one too ?

Hi Aah78 - In the Alto, the rear wiper has no speed-control. If you turn it on, it just keeps cranking away ! Regarding the rear washer, I've seen the rear hatch being opened up & I don't remember seeing a tank in there. I guess the rear reservoir must be behind all the plastic trim at the back...
Old 4th June 2009, 11:34   #5
BHPian

Common bottol for wiper washer

Hi The vix alto has a common resivoir for front and rear water in the bonnet it has 2 motors one to spray water in front and vice versa.Also the plumbing(for water ) is from the roof moulding which has to be removed for the piping.Also the wiper motor in the tailgate is single speed so no intermettnt.
Old 4th June 2009, 15:11   #6
BHPian

Guys,
For your knowledge, a wiper intermittent timer is present is every vehicle to achieve this. Its does'nt matter with the number of speeds at which your wiper motor is capable of running. If it has the capability to return to home position after you switch off, thats all you need.

This intermittent mode controller looks like a relay and you can very well find it along with the other relays inside the relay box of your car. Buy a similar relay and wire it up the way it is done for the front wipers. All you need is just some patience.

-Ilango
Old 5th June 2009, 07:23   #7
BHPian

a thermal switch?

arpandiv, let me suggest a simple solution.

Connect a thermal contact breaker switch in series with the rear wiper motor wiring. The switch will break and connect at even intervals achieving the INT function.
You can even calibrate the interval to suit your requirement.
Old 5th June 2009, 09:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
arpandiv, let me suggest a simple solution.

Connect a thermal contact breaker switch in series with the rear wiper motor wiring. The switch will break and connect at even intervals achieving the INT function.
You can even calibrate the interval to suit your requirement.
Hi Mexx, in principle it is simple, but does'nt guarantee the wiper blade to return to home. Thats why OEMs go for such a controller.
Old 7th October 2020, 20:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rear windshield wiper queries.

There are a few threads on people retrofitting rear wipers on various cars. With more and more manufacturers deleting this feature on all but the topmost model many people who can't afford the top model have to sacrifice the rear wiper. Even if you can afford the top model you may want a lower model because you don't need the features of the top model (ex. Ford Figo Titanium Blu) or the particular variant (ex. Nios Turbo / AMT) is not available in top trim. Wanted to know if anyone has managed to do a retrofit on the Nios (or any Hyundai) or the Ford Figo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks