Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2008, 00:46   #1
BHPian

Leaky Windshield

My 118's front wind shield has developed a major leak mid monsoon. Water is leaking into the cabin from the right and left hand side corners, a hansom amount on the left side, has got all the matting wet. It had happened 3 years ago too but then it was because of twigs stuck in W'Shield's rubber.

I've pressure washed all the grime from underneath the rubber and wiped with a dry cloth, but it still is leaking like no body's business.
And suggestions on how to stop the leak? (getting the Wind shield rubber replaced is not an option though) I thot of sealing the Rubber to the glass using anabond 999 but found it practically impossible to hold the rubber out with one hand and apply annabond with the other.

R12 AC gas isnt available these days, Is it possible to get a new compressor for the 118NE(mine is factory AC) that can run on CR gas?
Old 4th August 2008, 07:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Gendarmee, you are assuming that the water is getting in from where you see it leaking into the car.
Regardless of where the water gets in from, it will eventually come in from the corners.
Remove the windshield and the gasket, inspect the entire metal flange portion of the frame, do whatever repair is required and then refit.

Regarding the AC: Change of compressor to a more current type running R134a should be possible.
Old 4th August 2008, 12:33   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Also check the condition of the rubber seal. May need replacement.
Old 4th August 2008, 12:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Another option is to use a silicone sealant.. You can get a good quality Momentive Silicone Sealant for around Rs. 150 / 100 gm.

Silicone sealant is usually used for fixing windshields on most cars and even for waterproofing buildings.

How to use? Simple... insert it in the leaking areas using the nozzle with comes with the tube, wait for 24 hrs, and you are done!
Old 4th August 2008, 19:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Gendarmee, you are assuming that the water is getting in from where you see it leaking into the car.
Regardless of where the water gets in from, it will eventually come in from the corners.
Remove the windshield and the gasket, inspect the entire metal flange portion of the frame, do whatever repair is required and then refit.

Regarding the AC: Change of compressor to a more current type running R134a should be possible.
Metal portion is fine, water is leaking in through upper(inner) rubber portion from between the glass-rubber seal.
On the FIAT 1100 water always leaked from the centre of the W sheild, used to tape both edges of the rubber during the rains.
Im not game for removing an refitting of the wind sheild unless very necessary as it starts leaking from many places & all seasons(during wash ect), as it always happened with the FIAT(experience), never got the good factory fit.
I have a-do it myself-approach because i cant take time out too go to the mechanic, for when he's available i got work and when i get free late evening..
Thanks for the info on the compressor, im desperate to get that conversion done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also check the condition of the rubber seal. May need replacement.
Yeah, I'd got that checked during the last servicing (june), the mechanic said the rubber was okay, it still is soft and pretty flexible(im attacing 2 pics)

I didn't know what too do so i gave the rubber insides a proper wash again today morning by sticking an eraser in too hold the edge up, lots of murk(mud, pebbles, twig) got removed, wiped the insides dry too. The Rains haven't gone but the leak has stopped. Looks like the dirt got into/between the rubber-glass seal during the summer and constant rain coupled with capillarity made water seep in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Another option is to use a silicone sealant.. You can get a good quality Momentive Silicone Sealant for around Rs. 150 / 100 gm.

Silicone sealant is usually used for fixing windshields on most cars and even for waterproofing buildings.

How to use? Simple... insert it in the leaking areas using the nozzle with comes with the tube, wait for 24 hrs, and you are done!
Just what i needed!
I can do this my self too to put and end too chances of it happening again this season. Thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky Windshield-leak.jpg  

Leaky Windshield-leak-1.jpg  

Old 4th August 2008, 21:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you put the Silicone Sealant properly, the sealing might just outlast your car...

The sealant bonds to both the Rubber and the Glass.

Get the transparent kind. Make sure its RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing).

To apply. Raise the rubber gaskets lip, and clean both the inner side of the gasket and the glass with Doctors Spirit (Isopropyl Alcohol). Apply RTV and replace the rubber to its original position. Wipe any extra RTV immediately with a wet cloth.

You can purchase either Momentive or Dow Corning Silicone Sealant. I personally prefer the Momentive product.
Old 4th August 2008, 22:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

118 comes with rubber beading's that are push fit IIRC, if so replace them with good quality ones. also use a good garage to remove the windshield carefully and attend to any rusting that might have happened.
Old 16th August 2008, 01:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
If you put the Silicone Sealant properly, the sealing might just outlast your car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
118 comes with rubber beading's that are push fit IIRC, if so replace them with good quality ones. also use a good garage to remove the windshield carefully and attend to any rusting that might have happened.
We've got the windsheild rubber changed on the 1100 at a premier's service station, at a good local garage and also with some wind sheild experts, but it invariably started leaking again. thats why im apprehensive about it. But i guess, like you said, the only proper solution to the problem.
Its the first monsoon season that the 118 is taking directly, used to have a covered parking before.

I couldn't find time to go and get the silicone and couldnt see the water leak in(a faint leak on the right side started again), the craving to come up with a temp solution manifested as simple idea, Like how abhiJ suggested i use a nozzle to fill the silicone under the rubber lip, i used the 10ml Dispovan syringe as a nozzle( i use that to top up the batter water normally) to apply anabond 999 under the rubber lip on the body and glass side after throughly cleaning both sides. the leaking has stopped since but if it happens again, I'll get back to the garage and get a new rubber beading and get it sealed with silicone right when its installed.

Thanks a lot people'
Old 16th August 2008, 02:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

try a hand at the wind shield experts in hyderabad its the name of the shop, it is located close to venkatesa thetare in narayanguda.

WSE Network

Windshield Repair, Auto Glass and Auto Safety Glass Replacement Services Center India

or try one of the wurth's sealants yes they have a dealership in hyderabad, here is their number try contacting mr. praveen 9849202298 sales manager he will be happy make a home delivery, i bought my damping sheets from them directly!

hope this helps.

Last edited by rider60 : 16th August 2008 at 02:47.
Old 29th September 2009, 00:05   #10
BHPian

The Temp fix has helped so far. There was no leak during this rainy season.

How does one go about this situation?
Electric cables.
Leaky Windshield-28092009165.jpg
Old 28th May 2014, 10:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Leaky Windshield

Discovered last night while driving in rain that water is seeping inside through the upper side of the windshield. Looks like either a bad rubber gasket or the sealant might have gave up due to some reason. Will drop the car to MASS for carrying the necessary repairs soon. Cannot keep the car like this with the monsoons knocking. Will update as the repair work is carried out.
Old 28th May 2014, 13:07   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Discovered last night while driving in rain that water is seeping inside through the upper side of the windshield. Looks like either a bad rubber gasket or the sealant might have gave up due to some reason.
How old is the car? Any damage to seals/rubber visually?

Can you post the picture from where the leak is?

Anurag.
Old 28th May 2014, 13:20   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How old is the car? Any damage to seals/rubber visually?

Can you post the picture from where the leak is?

Anurag.
The car is about 11.5 years old, however, the windshield was replaced about 4 years ago. There is no visible damage to the seals. I just gave a light push from my thumb from the inner side and noticed a slight outward movement of the area of windshield. This gives me a clue that the sealant has given up which keeps the windshield glued to the frame too.

Will upload a picture.

Regards,
Saket
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:20   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The car was dropped at MASS yesterday. As suspected, the sealant had given up. I was astonished that how easily and within no time, the entire windshield was taken off from the car! I dare say, within 5 minutes!
The repair job was done in front of me and I stayed there till they pasted the windshield. The outer molding was changed. Will post the pictures of the work done. Also, the AC needed service as the cooling had decreased, hence will be collecting the car in the evening.

Will update the thread once the car is with me.

Regards,
Saket
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:58   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked the car last evening after the windshield re-pasting and the AC service. The job was done at Poddar Motors, Ranchi. Have been sticking to them since last 10 years.

Things that I liked:
1. The windshield job started within 15-20 mins I was into MASS.
2. I was there on the floor where the work was being done.
3. Windshield pasting was done to my satisfaction, however, the inner molding for the windshield was not available, hence only outer molding was changed. I need to be cautious as parts of the old Zen are slowly vanishing from the shelves.

I left after the pasting was done as the AC job would be carried on the next day only after the pasting had dried fully. No problem.

Details of AC work done:

The background of the problem is that my car has an older AC system which takes R12 as refrigerant. It was slightly modified (without any hardware changes) last year to take R134a when it needed a gas refill. However, since then, the cooling has not been as good as before. I asked them to perform a full check of the system and cleaning of evaporators to see if cooling improves.

The outcome of the job was not too successful. The lowest the AC could throw out was measured as 9 degrees C as against 10 or 12 previously.

However, the good thing was that the MASS & the personnel working on the AC did not charge me anything despite a 3-4 hour job of taking out entire dashboard and cleaning the system. Also, the flap in the HVAC system which toggles between fresh & recirculation air was cut by rats. They repaired it by pasting additional plastic. This slightly improved the cooling since outside air was getting mixed due to flap not closing & blocking properly.

Things that I liked:

1. First & foremost, it takes heart to accept that ones hard work has not paid anything. My appreciation for the staff to accept that the system has not improved as much as they expected. They were targeting about 6-7 degrees.

2. They did not charge a single rupee for this job, as the outcome was nothing. However, I must add, that there was a little improvement. I appreciate this gesture by Mr. Aslam who was heading & supervising the job.

Things that I did not like:

1. Can there be something which I can not like after this fantastic gesture? Yes, there can be. First of all, the car was delivered without proper cleaning. When I dropped the car, it was washed a couple of days before. They delivered it back with dust settle down on it. Even the windshield was not cleaned properly.

2. The refitting of dashboard included taking the wiring off the stereo. One speaker was not connected back and they did only so after reminding them twice, and then finally dragging an electrician into the car.

3. Though I use grass mats as carpets, they were dirty because the bits of wires/ small pieces of foam/ pieces of insulating tape etc . were left on it.

4. Last, but the most disappointing stuff was that the AC had dripped some good amount of water inside the cabin which made the floor carpet substantially wet. This was just covered by them with the grass mats I use over them. This could result in dampness/ foul smell developing and corrosion. It was never dried and was not even told to me. At least they could have informed me about this so that I could take off the carpets and let it dry once I reach home. I found it earlier this morning while cleaning the mats.

This time I had a mixed experience with them. IMO, time has still not come when you can drop your car and expect the job being done to your satisfaction. You have to be with your car and supervise personally when the job is being done. But would also like to underline again the nice gesture of the people & particularly Mr. Aslam who had the courage to accept that the work is not upto their satisfaction and then not charging a single dime for it.

The cost for refixing the windshield was 2500 bucks, however.

Adding some pictures of windshield re fixing.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky Windshield-01062014001.jpg  

Leaky Windshield-01062014004.jpg  

Leaky Windshield-01062014003.jpg  

Leaky Windshield-01062014006.jpg  

Leaky Windshield-01062014007.jpg  

Last edited by saket77 : 3rd June 2014 at 12:03.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks