Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 15:38   #1
BHPian

Help needed in attending the problems in my 2001 OHC vtec

Hi All,

I have a 2001 OHC vtec (72000 kms done). Car was running fine. But recently the following problems have developed. Need help in identifying the exact cause for these problems before leaving the vehicle to service

1. Experiencing very good drop in the pickup when AC is switched ON. Also the headlight dims a bit on switching ON the AC.

2. Experiencing heavy jerks when riding at normal speeds. In the second gear, when i revv above 85 kmph, suddenly the engine jerks as though the fuel supply is cut off. Checked the fuel pump and there is a pressure drop in it. Whether this is causing the jerks, or should i have to check the spark plugs or gear box or anything else? What should be done to rectify the pressure drop in the fuel pump? Can it be repaired or is it required to replace it with a new fuel pump?

3. As the vehicle has done 72000 kms, is it required to change the spark plugs?

4. Read that 2001 OHC vtec's have manufacturing defect with the ECU. What should be done to rectify them?

Recent sevice works done:
At 60,000
1. Clutch replacement at 60,000
2. Power Steering oil seal changed
3. General service and Oil change
4. All four tyres changed

At 66,600
1. Front suspension work done
2. Steering rack/box overhaul
3. Ac condersor cleaning and gas fill
4. General service and oil change

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Kapoor
Old 5th August 2008, 16:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Regarding 2, seems you also need a new O2 sensor. Most OHC's on this forum have needed an O2 sensor replacement once the odo reached 70K or so. Do a search and you will find a thread on it.

Getting 3 done would be a good idea.
Old 5th August 2008, 16:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
4. Read that 2001 OHC vtec's have manufacturing defect with the ECU. What should be done to rectify them?
Get a standalone ECU.

Why not take the car to Electra for a thorough checkup?
Old 5th August 2008, 16:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Your problem # 1 seems to be that the A/C Compressor is putting on a lot of load on the engine when switched on. I think your Compressor is on the way out & will need to be replaced soon.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:26   #5
BHPian

My OHC is also having trouble with "jerking" across certain rev ranges, especially when the accelerator is suddenly floored. Apart from that, it also happens when picking up on lower speeds or after downshifting.

Once I'm over a certain rev range (say 3k - 3.5k) the missing dies out but then it's a real nuisance to drive and very very irritating.

Got the injectors and plugs cleaned (plugs are about 10-12k kms old), the fuel filter was also changed recently but the problem persists. Arush (Autopsyche) suspected it to be the fuel pump but I want to get everything else checked before considering a fuel pump replacement.

@Irags, how much did your fuel pump cost?
Old 12th August 2008, 16:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

I didn't replace the pump Ankit, it was cleaned by a local garage here & has been functioning fine since then.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:49   #7
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Recent sevice works done:
At 60,000
1. Clutch replacement at 60,000
2. Power Steering oil seal changed
3. General service and Oil change
4. All four tyres changed

At 66,600
1. Front suspension work done
2. Steering rack/box overhaul
3. Ac condersor cleaning and gas fill
4. General service and oil change

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Kapoor

Hi
Do you think it is possible for you to post the costs for the jobs done on your car.
My friend is looking at some of the works as you have done, for his OHC. We can use your information as a reference.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

In bold...
Quote:
1. Experiencing very good drop in the pickup when AC is switched ON. Also the headlight dims a bit on switching ON the AC.

Get the Compressor Serviced and flush the entire piping, thats the best you can do for now.

2. Experiencing heavy jerks when riding at normal speeds. In the second gear, when i revv above 85 kmph, suddenly the engine jerks as though the fuel supply is cut off. Checked the fuel pump and there is a pressure drop in it. Whether this is causing the jerks, or should i have to check the spark plugs or gear box or anything else? What should be done to rectify the pressure drop in the fuel pump? Can it be repaired or is it required to replace it with a new fuel pump?

It its the fuel pump, just change the motor and it shd be fine. Remember to clean the fuel tank when you get this job done. Also change the fuel filter(strange but it gets choked).

3. As the vehicle has done 72000 kms, is it required to change the spark plugs?
Yes, depending on when you did it the last time.

Get a standalone if you like, no other option.
btw, howmuch did you pay for the clutch??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks