Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 16:30   #1
BHPian

Park your cars with wheels aligned straight?

Hi, I have a question regarding the way you park the cars.Will there be any effect on the steering system of the car ,(i mean the modern cars with all those fundu power steering stuff) in case I park my car with wheels aligned in any other direction other than being straight ?
Old 6th August 2008, 18:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Hi, I have a question regarding the way you park the cars.Will there be any effect on the steering system of the car ,(i mean the modern cars with all those fundu power steering stuff) in case I park my car with wheels aligned in any other direction other than being straight ?
??
Did not understand the question. Why should it have any effect on the power steering?
Old 6th August 2008, 19:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

There will be no effect on the power steering but a lot of other parts like drive shafts, ball joints etc will be under stress if the wheels are not straight.
Old 6th August 2008, 20:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

The "power" part of the vehicle "steering" disengages once you switch it off, whether electric or hydraulic actuated.
Old 6th August 2008, 22:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
There will be no effect on the power steering but a lot of other parts like drive shafts, ball joints etc will be under stress if the wheels are not straight.
Why? Mind elaborating??

I confess to using subterfuge to byepass the 20character rule. My only question is "why?". |-)
Old 6th August 2008, 22:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ok. Let me see if I can explain this.

When you turn the steering, the steering column transfers that force onto the drive shaft and other related components to turn your wheels. So when you park with the wheels at an angle the steering parts exert an opposite force. Have you noticed how when you take a U Turn the steering tends to straighten out when you let go of yoru grip on it. This force is continously exerted on the steering column when you park with you wheels cross and not straight.

When the steering is straight there is no force being exerted on these parts. Therefore it is always ideal to park with your steering straight.

I could not explain it any better. Let me see if I can find something better to explain this.

Last edited by vikram_d : 6th August 2008 at 22:46.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2008, 23:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

no vikram, that force only comes in play when the car is moving. in a stationary car there is no counter steering force.

there is another thread on this. and the conclusion was it really doesn't matter.
Old 7th August 2008, 02:31   #8
BHPian

Vikram, what you say hold true only when the car is moving. And besides that is also because the torque supplied to both of the driven wheels are more or less the same while the inner wheel has to move a lot lesser while the outer wheel has to move more to complete the same circle. Hence the steering straightens out.
Old 7th August 2008, 08:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

I was told to always park it with the wheels straight by a cab driver back in Chennai. Reason he said was, when you keep it turned, there is a small inclination in the front and so its not good. The weight will be on the center of the wheel and not on the tyres. As if you have a bent wheel. Did I explained it clear? I doubt.
Old 7th August 2008, 08:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
... The weight will be on the center of the wheel and not on the tyres. As if you have a bent wheel. Did I explained it clear? I doubt.
That explanation does not make much sense.
In any case, I do not recommend learning these things from cab drivers, who are, in our country, by and large illiterate!
There are well qualified people on this forum who'd give valid answers to such queries.
Old 7th August 2008, 08:45   #11
BHPian

I too got a similar info from one of the TATA authorised service centres (btb I have an Indigo) and what he told was that if you park your car with the front wheels at an angle, it do have an adverse effect on the steering system.He told some facts to prove his point but I was in no mood to listen as I was busy planning my drive down to Cochin that evening.Anyways, I think this needs more research and fact findings to conclude.
Old 7th August 2008, 08:55   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
In any case, I do not recommend learning these things from cab drivers, who are, in our country, by and large illiterate!
I disagree sir! Even illiterate people (not all) can teach us a very important lesson or 2 in our life. Literacy can never match experiences. It's better if one is literate too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
There are well qualified people on this forum who'd give valid answers to such queries.
I agree to this part. And the technical point of view on this matter can be explained well by the same. Where are they?
We've only had 2-3 technically correct responses here till now.
speedzak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2008, 09:07   #13
Team-BHP Support

In some countries for hilly roads there is a rule that the steering is kept in such a way that if the hand brake fails the car will hit the kerb and not roll down straight.

Am very sure this rule came in place after evaluating all the options.

Without power being supplied (as car is OFF) there should IMHO be no problem.

I prefer straight wheels in a level parking area because it looks good and also to cause lesser inconvenience to others. As the profile of the car is smoother.
Old 7th August 2008, 09:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In some countries for hilly roads there is a rule that the steering is kept in such a way that if the hand brake fails the car will hit the kerb and not roll down straight.
@ bblost:
It's discussed in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...k-incline.html
Old 7th August 2008, 09:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I disagree sir! Even illiterate people (not all) can teach us a very important lesson or 2 in our life. Literacy can never match experiences. It's better if one is literate too.
I guess that the way I worded it did not come across right. I made reference to 'these things', meaning the more tecnically complex or specific matters, which require thorough knowledge of the design principles underlying the specific assembly.
I am an engineer, and short of saying "I don't THINK it will lead to a problem", I cannot give a detailed answer, as I am not specifically an automobile engineer.

And yes, there are many car related issues on which I seek the opinion of car mechanics or taxi drivers, illiterate as they might be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks