Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 14:46   #1
BHPian

Santro Idle Air Control Valve

Hi!
I drive a Santro LS, which will celebrate its 6th birthday next month.
I noticed the following problem with the AC a few weeks ago. If the weather was hot & the car had been parked in the sun for an hour or so & then driven in stop & go traffic for 30 minutes or so, the AC would work fine for these first 30 minutes & then start switching on & off continuously. Not only would the inside temperature start increasing, but I would also feel a vibration through my steering wheel every few seconds because the AC constantly switching on & off.
The AC seemed to work fine unless all the above conditions were met & as this happened only once a week, I guess in retrospect I should have opted to live with the problem.
Overfinicky me decided instead to take the car to the Hyundai dealer's workshop. The supervisor felt that it could be a dirty idle air control valve & had it cleaned.
Now the car has started emitting a disconcerting whine every now & then, which to me seems to be caused by the rpm shooting up every now & then. There is no starting or stalling problem. The supervisor says the idle air control valve will have to be changed. God forbid, it costs six thousand bucks.
As far as the AC problem goes, I can only check next Wed, when all the conditions, weather permitting, will be met again.
I beseech the forum experts to help me save my six grand. Shall I try to get the valve dirty again? How? Or has the workshop damaged it beyond repair?
Old 8th August 2008, 14:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Is he talking about AC idler? That costs a few hundred rupees in the Indica from TASS. 6000 seems a little too high for this part!
Old 8th August 2008, 15:12   #3
BHPian

He calls it the actuator.
Does the Santro have an IAC valve on the throttle body, another for the power steering & yet another for the AC?
So how can one diagnose which valve has the problem?

Last edited by nura : 8th August 2008 at 15:22.
Old 12th August 2008, 00:09   #4
BHPian

Apparently they had been fiddling with the intake manifold runner control actuator. Anyone willing to hazard a guess as to what could have gone wrong? Have they destroyed it?
Old 13th August 2008, 09:17   #5
BHPian

Can anyone provide a link to an in-depth article on the intake manifold runner control valve?
Thanks in advance.
nura
Old 13th August 2008, 11:04   #6
Team-BHP Support

nura, it controls the air intake. For example at idle the valve closes since lot of air is not required, and thus doing this increases air velocity leading to better atomization
TechOne: Automotive Engine Performance - Google Book Search
Old 18th August 2008, 23:16   #7
BHPian

Isa

Its small motor with a butterfly that controls the air intake , its called ISA - idle speed actuator. Its attached to the throttle body .
The hyundai one sometimes needs replacement as carbon clogs it and you rarely do throttle body servicing. The suzuki ISA design is quite easier from the perspective of maintenance as most of the suzuki parts are. It can be almost full opened and the butterfly is rotates on bearings. Hyundai design is a closed unit , so after all cleaning options fail , one has to replace it and its expensive.....
My accent was misbehaving with involuntary changes in RPM on idle. Usually on higher throttle position a weakened ISA does not make that much of a dif.. Luckily 2 full cleaning and service with decarbonizing sprays cleaned up the thing.
The accent ( original) one costs Rs.7090 / in Mumbai.
Old 15th May 2017, 17:09   #8
BHPian

Re: Santro Idle Air Control Valve

Bumping up a really old thread!

From the limited research I did on TeamBHP regarding ISA Valve (aka Idle Speed Actuator Valve, Idle Air Control Valve etc.), I came to the conclusion that it is an irritant in many Hyundai cars.

My posts in other threads regarding the valve in other threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Very thought provoking thread! GTO has explained in detail why I've been holding onto my Santro Xing for so long.

She turns 10 this month, and has run 79k km. I've always serviced her at the Hyundai A$S, though not at the recommended 6 monthly interval, but like every 9-10 months. I never reach the recommended ~10k km service interval in the stipulated time period.

Service costs have remained like INR 5-6k per year.
Battery changed once at the 7 year mark.
Tyres changed at 50k km mark.
No major clutch/suspension issues yet.
Timing belt going strong according to my SA, will need a re-look at maybe 90k km mark.
There has been an issue of irregular idling rpm of late, and the SA has 'ISA valve' change, for which he quoted INR ~11k. Nothing urgent, though better to be replaced according to him. Any thoughts, fellow BHPians?

My thoughts on changing my ride:
-If my daily running increases considerably - unlikely in the coming 4 years
-Will need safety features if the need for highway runs increase. Currently I do Chennai trips (~300 km to and fro) 3-4 times a year.
-If maintenance and repair bills shoot through the roof - again unlikely for a Santro.

Till then I hold onto my beloved little Black Beauty!

Quote:
Posting from the Repair vs Selling thread.

Had given my 10 year, 79k km old Xing for service last week. The only issues I had to report were some electrical issues and an irregularly low idling rpm. The SA told me that the 'ISA valve' is the culprit and that it needs to be changed at the earliest, though they've adjusted it temporarily. However, the low idling rpm issue is persisting. He quoted around INR 11k for the same, which worried me a bit.

Should I go ahead and change it as part of preventive maintenance?
Will this lead to any other issues in the future?
Apart from the low idling rpm, the car runs very well! Kindly share your thoughts.

PS: Apologies to Aravind for hijacking the thread, but couldn't find a better place to post my query. Thanks!
A fellow BHPian had started a thread on the same issue, which never took off.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...sa-santro.html

So finally after almost a year and a half of irregular idling and the AC compressor cutting off at idling speeds, decided to bite the bullet and get the valve replaced. Seeing my reluctance, my SA at Hyundai A$S offered to replace my ISA valve with a random Santro's valve for demo purpose. Once the valve was replaced, idling was smooth and AC was cooling flawlessly!

I've been quoted 10,700/- for the valve which according to me is steep, but in accordance with what others have reported. Guess it's part of the price one has to pay for maintaining a nearly 12 year old car!
Some pics I clicked:

The loaner valve used for testing purpose:

Santro Idle Air Control Valve-img_20170513_142841.jpg

My busted valve! Was fixed with Mseal in December 2015 when I had deferred changing the valve:

Santro Idle Air Control Valve-img_20170513_143024.jpg

Santro Idle Air Control Valve-img_20170513_143029.jpg

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 15th May 2017 at 17:11.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 23:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:

So finally after almost a year and a half of irregular idling and the AC compressor cutting off at idling speeds, decided to bite the bullet and get the valve replaced. Seeing my reluctance, my SA at Hyundai A$S offered to replace my ISA valve with a random Santro's valve for demo purpose. Once the valve was replaced, idling was smooth and AC was cooling flawlessly!

I've been quoted 10,700/- for the valve which according to me is steep, but in accordance with what others have reported. Guess it's part of the price one has to pay for maintaining a nearly 12 year old car!
My ISA Valve story took an unexpected turn 2 days after I paid an advance of 2k for the 11k valve at the Hyundai A$S. I was just looking at the pics I'd clicked, and found a part number on the loaner valve (refer above post). I did a casual Google search and I was surprised to find the part available on an Indian website for a little over 5k! Did some further Googling and found this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IDLE...311.0.0.elCLcI

For less that INR 1,000/- that was a bargain I wasn't willing to let go. Ordered it instantly, and cancelled the request at the A$S, who refunded my advance without too much of a hassle. The part arrived in less than 20 days, and I got it fixed at a local garage in 20 minutes flat and gave the mechanic 200/- for labour!

The "AC cutting off at idling" issue was immediately sorted out. The irregular idling persisted for 2-3 days, but settled down by itself. Hence, I sorted out the Hyundai ISA Valve issue in my 12 year old Xing for ~1,200/- bucks! Not sure how long the new valve will last, but at a tenth of the cost of the OEM valve, that is a risk I'm willing to take!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 14:45   #10

Quote:
My ISA Valve story took an unexpected turn 2 days after I paid an advance of 2k for the 11k valve at the Hyundai A$S. I was just looking at the pics I'd clicked, and found a part number on the loaner valve (refer above post). I did a casual Google search and I was surprised to find the part available on an Indian website for a little over 5k! Did some further Googling and found this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IDLE...311.0.0.elCLcI

For less that INR 1,000/- that was a bargain I wasn't willing to let go. Ordered it instantly, and cancelled the request at the A$S, who refunded my advance without too much of a hassle. The part arrived in less than 20 days, and I got it fixed at a local garage in 20 minutes flat and gave the mechanic 200/- for labour!

The "AC cutting off at idling" issue was immediately sorted out. The irregular idling persisted for 2-3 days, but settled down by itself. Hence, I sorted out the Hyundai ISA Valve issue in my 12 year old Xing for ~1,200/- bucks! Not sure how long the new valve will last, but at a tenth of the cost of the OEM valve, that is a risk I'm willing to take!
how is the holding up? today my santro was also diagnosed with the same issue. new part cost was quoted at 12000 and Non OE part at 5200. want to know how the Aliexpress part turned up before I opt for the Non OE part of 5200
Old 15th January 2019, 15:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parampath View Post
how is the holding up? today my santro was also diagnosed with the same issue. new part cost was quoted at 12000 and Non OE part at 5200. want to know how the Aliexpress part turned up before I opt for the Non OE part of 5200
AliExpress part is holding up quite well. No issues so far in almost 18 months!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 16:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

For my 2013 Xing there was RPM raise issue and it was not getting resolved. No conclusion was made if that is IAC valve issue. But the service person at Hyundai ASS replaced the IAC on my Hyundai with one from their old Santro Xing test vehicle. Well, after that the raise issue is gone now for 2 months but the car makes some "Krrrrr" sound which is loud on cold start and reduces gradually but never goes away. This was not the case with my original IAC valve. Do you guys think I should go with a completely new part or stay with this replacement? As pointed out the new OEM part is around 10K and am bit unsure if I should spend so much on it.
Am planning to keep the car for another 3-4 years minimum and hence thinking if replacing the part now will make sense or not.
Old 11th April 2019, 17:42   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Well, after that the raise issue is gone now for 2 months but the car makes some "Krrrrr" sound which is loud on cold start and reduces gradually but never goes away. This was not the case with my original IAC valve
Lubricate the valve with 2 drops of WD40 or oil. If noise is from IAC Valve this should isolate the cause.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 17:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Lubricate the valve with 2 drops of WD40 or oil. If noise is from IAC Valve this should isolate the cause.
I think I too am facing similar issue as reported by others. Here is the pic. And Hyundai SA said the genuine part will cost 18K
May be aliexpress part is a solution for me too. Of course hyundai service will not replace it for me. Any other good local mechanic in Bangalore near Marathahalli please.
Attached Thumbnails
Santro Idle Air Control Valve-20190421_170049.jpg  

Last edited by rajivtelang : 21st April 2019 at 17:39.
Old 21st April 2019, 17:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parampath View Post
Have you got the aliexpress part installed? How was your overall experience with it? Looks like I too have to go with it.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 21st April 2019 at 17:39.

Most Viewed