Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 11:58   #1
BHPian

Hissing sound in NHC Vtec

Hey Guys,

Our Honda City is almost a year and a half old and the odo is at 32K. Since the last 1000 km there is constant "hissing" sound from the front. It comes from as low as 30 kph and increases drastically at 80 and above. Tires currently running are Energy XM1 and am sure that it is not tire noise.

Also, engine has become quite noisy (maybe perceived). At standstill if I rev the engine to 5-6K I hear lot of noise inside. Could it be a problem with cabin insulation or engine.

Otherwise, the car is running fantastically. There are no other issues. It consistently returns 13-14 kpl in normal city conditions. Have followed regular servicing schedule. Please let me know what are the possible reasons.

Thanks,
Naman
Old 12th August 2008, 16:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get you car checked for a leaky exhaust & also get the front bearing checked.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:42   #3
BHPian

Check if any of the air filter pipes have come loose (they release air and can make a hissing sound). Also, the mid muffler (as it controls the phata hua sound of exhaust).

Is the hissing sound like metal grinding? Increases with speed and decreases when you take turns, then the bearings need to be checked as Ishan said. Any mechanic can tell you that.
Old 13th August 2008, 02:56   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation

If you're saying that the same sound persists on a standstill then what bearings?
Check for exhaust leaks, and the bottom of the header.
Old 13th August 2008, 18:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
Hey Guys,

Also, engine has become quite noisy (maybe perceived). At standstill if I rev the engine to 5-6K I hear lot of noise inside. Could it be a problem with cabin insulation or engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
If you're saying that the same sound persists on a standstill then what bearings?
Check for exhaust leaks, and the bottom of the header.
He said that the standstill engine sound problem is separate, please read the text in bold.
Old 13th August 2008, 19:42   #6
BHPian

You could also check the fitment of your air intake.
Old 15th August 2008, 17:20   #7
BHPian

hey guys,

thanks for the replys. The car was checked yesterday. The wheel bearings are damaged. Rear ones got replaced then and there. Front ones were not readily available so will be replaced in a weeks time. Everything was covered under warranty.

Naman

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks