Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2008, 11:36   #16
BHPian

Is there any possibility to know the authenticity of the odo showing the numbers ??
Old 21st August 2008, 11:55   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
Is there any possibility to know the authenticity of the odo showing the numbers ??
No,When buying a used car always check the service record and get the car inspected at some good garage.
Old 21st August 2008, 11:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
It is an eye-opener for many of us. Unfortunately, actual low mileage cars would also be looked upon with suspicion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
Keeping the service hostory book or checking it for authenticity of odo reading is one of the ways. Service centres record the odo readings during every service.
Old 21st August 2008, 20:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Keeping the service hostory book or checking it for authenticity of odo reading is one of the ways. Service centres record the odo readings during every service.

Totally agree with your POV. I have service records for all my cars, BUT if a dealer is buying your car he will seldom give too much weightage to the service record, as he is very used to tampered meters and gullible customers who take the bait !!!!

But the real buyer (read knowledgeable) always can tell between a car which matches up to the mileage or not

Cheers
Old 21st August 2008, 20:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post
Alright now this is tried and tested method on a Swift LXI.....
Can you enlighten us? Exactly which fuse?
Old 4th September 2009, 01:36   #21

Couple of months back, I was considering purchasing a second-hand car. Back then, I did some amount of hunting for this kind of information to ensure I don't get cheated. And a colleague mentioned about a device called Diga Consult. Here is one in action -
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:57   #22
BHPian

Re: Is it possible to tamper digital odometer ?

CAN YOU TAMPER WITH A DIGITAL ODO METER?
This question suddenly cropped up in my mind this morning and am glad I found this thread.
I bought a 2004 Lancer with 60k on the odo. Is this reading normal for a 2004 model? Or could it be tampered with? Just curious since I have already made the purchase. Also, I paid 1.75 lacs for the car. Is this a good price?
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:08   #23
BANNED

I saw it being done on Top Gear (AutoTraders). They had a reformed thief doing to a Merc. he reduced the ODO by 50,000 miles and then reverted it back (he is reformed). Just plugged in a laptop and ran some software. There will be no evidence of this sort of fiddling since nothing is done mechanically.
Old 24th April 2012, 09:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
I bought a 2004 Lancer with 60k on the odo. Is this reading normal for a 2004 model? Or could it be tampered with? Just curious since I have already made the purchase.
I bought a Palio 1.6 GTX in 2010 with 29K Odo. I bargained based on the tyre wear, suspension and other conditions. I never gave importance to the owner's claim for 29K on odo and I took 3 months to know the car and fix any issues. Now it runs like a dream.

So, please don't worry too much about the odo if the car is good and runs well. Sort out any issues and gain confidence in the car.

Just my thought

And, any odo can be tampered with, even if the owner is not willing the brokers convince them.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 09:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I bought a Palio 1.6 GTX in 2010 with 29K Odo. I bargained based on the tyre wear, suspension and other conditions. I never gave importance to the owner's claim for 29K on odo and I took 3 months to know the car and fix any issues. Now it runs like a dream.

So, please don't worry too much about the odo if the car is good and runs well. Sort out any issues and gain confidence in the car.

Just my thought

And, any odo can be tampered with, even if the owner is not willing the brokers convince them.

Regards

Hey thanks The only problem with my car is a weak front suspension which is quite noisy when you go over bumps. It didn't come as a surprise as the previous owner told me that work was required on the front suspension. That apart, the car runs like a dream and am happy at that
Once I get that fixed and a little paint touch up (a result of scratches thanks to bangalore's wonderful traffic and brilliant drivers) It will be just perfect I guess. By the way, here is a teaser pic of my car...
Attached Thumbnails
Is it possible to tamper digital odometer ?-white.jpg  

Old 24th April 2012, 11:21   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
CAN YOU TAMPER WITH A DIGITAL ODO METER?
This question suddenly cropped up in my mind this morning and am glad I found this thread.
I bought a 2004 Lancer with 60k on the odo. Is this reading normal for a 2004 model? Or could it be tampered with?
There is always peripheral evidence. This is why service history in important. Look at the usage pattern. Then state of tyres and upholstery should also give you a clue. Another place to check is the state of the pedal rubbers. The rubbers start wearing out at about 40-50,000km.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 11:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
There is always peripheral evidence. This is why service history in important. Look at the usage pattern. Then state of tyres and upholstery should also give you a clue. Another place to check is the state of the pedal rubbers. The rubbers start wearing out at about 40-50,000km.
The condition of the rear tyres are bad. The front ones are new (Replaced by the previous owner). The upholstery is in so so condition and the seat covers (an aftermarket one) was peeling in certain places (I replaced the same). The front suspension is weak (Told to me by the previous owner) and makes a "thug thug" sound while going over potholes.
These complaints apart the car runs beautifully. The engine and gearbox feels very smooth
Old 24th April 2012, 12:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Every digital ODO can be altered but in case of BMW there are few older models e.g. E36 and E46 (not sure about the E90) on which you can check the correct ODO reading. If anyone who is going for a E36,E46 and want to get the correct ODO reading on the display then let me know. I'll dig up my old notes to give you the procedure. Takes about a minute or so to get the original Reading on the display as BMW's with OBC stores the mileage on the their memory as well as on ODO. Whereas the ODO reading can be altered but not the one on OBC which can be made to display the original reading.

Every 9 cars out of 10 sold in second hand market have altered readings in India. Usually there is a magic figure quite popular with the dealers which is 60-65k.

But few easy steps to observe to check out how genuine the reading is;
Useful for checking out a car for mileage over 1Lakh Km but reading under 6ok.
1. Pull down the seat belt and release it. If it goes back in quite fast then good and if slow then it's a con.
2. If the gear nob and steering is all shinny then again it has done well over 1L KM.
3. 1L KM driven car would have some height difference from the road compared to a low mileage one which can be judged by looking at the stance from side.
4. Condition of original seat covers and rigidity of the seat foam.

Rest depends upon your technical knowledge to asses the condition related to the mileage.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 13:08   #29
BHPian

I was in delhi last year for the f1, We were traveling in a Rented taxi Mahindra Xylo, So we got friendly with the driver he told us that the car was purchased in January of 2011 and the car covered more than 80k kilometers just by October of 2011, We saw the kilometers and it read only 22k he said the meter had been tampered with and the car will be sold before the end of 2011.
Old 24th April 2012, 13:48   #30
BHPian

Yes its indeed possible.

this is all done by the Meter repairs guy, once one of our office colleague(who hails from UK) requested to come to Mysore on Saturday and i confirmed him that we can go on Sunday but he overlooked me and then booked a taxi, it was an Indigo and the time he reached Mysore the taxi guy showed 320 kms, and returning he charged him for 640 kms for up and down.

the taxi guys will have some sought of switch/Button which they press while driving and zoom goes the reading up and if they press the reading more they invert the connection and the reading goes down.

so its always good to do a research before going to any place either in taxi/ Purchasing the used vehicle at-least get the service records even they are not proper so that we know when was vehicle serviced last(kms)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks