Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 16:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
I have a hunch that its the ART LEATHER seat covers. I cant possibly take them out, wash them and put them on, all on my own. Will try to sun dry the stuff by opening all five doors and keeping the car in sun for some good amount of time.

Well, that might not help. I had tried airing those neck cushions for a couple of days in the hope that the smell might wear off, but no luck, and neck cushions are really tiny compared to the seat covers. So, if you remove them, you'll atleast identify the problem.

Wierd thing is that this does not happen with all upholstery. Its never happened with any of my earlier neck cushions, nor with my seat covers. This was the first time, must be some cheap chemicals or adhesives I guess.

Well, hope you get that fixed cos it did give me a headache while it lasted.

Last edited by Lalvaz : 27th August 2008 at 16:34.
Old 27th August 2008, 16:34   #17
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
The rotary sound can be of something stuck in the blower , I have observed if AC vents are open ( not in recirculation mode) it sucks in leaves and over a period of time they dry and create such sound. Now if the leaves are of some plant / weed to which you are allergic you can have such reactions.
But the sound comes even when the blower is not ON. It seems like the sound from some fan inside. not sure htough.

Quote:
Another possible cause of the smell may be the seat covers. From where you purchased the seat covers ?Shelf life of foam and PVC is is 5/6 years In case they are of some cheap material ( PVC) and if it is from very old stock then PVC and Foam starts decomposing and produce gases. Try removing seat covers for a few days and observe if the smell and eye irritation is there or not
The seat covers are of premium quality. Here is the link
CAR BOUTIQUES

I do not think that they are that bad. Still they can be.

Old 27th August 2008, 17:17   #18
Team-BHP Support

Brand new car? Well don't worry. If there are sounds from inside dashboard, Maruti should fix it. The only roatary thing there is the AC Blower FAN. I suspect it could be the culprit
Old 27th August 2008, 18:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Brand new car? Well don't worry. If there are sounds from inside dashboard, Maruti should fix it. The only roatary thing there is the AC Blower FAN. I suspect it could be the culprit
MASS ! Go to the dealer you bought it from
Old 27th August 2008, 19:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the sound comes even when the blower is not ON. It seems like the sound from some fan inside. not sure htough.

The seat covers are of premium quality. Here is the link
CAR BOUTIQUES

I do not think that they are that bad. Still they can be.

Well These guys do have a nice website and they might be heaving good workmenship to provide fit and finish but please remember the raw matrial for Artificial leather is stil the same across the spectrum.
In cheaper range it is Vinyl ( PVC) , mid range foam leather ( PVC with a 2/3 MM of foam back to give good looks ) and premium range Polyurithan or PU. To give good fit and finish various kinds of glues are used to stick foama and cover material together.

Now a person can be alergic to any Natural or Synthatic compound for example some people develop hives and irritation after consuming such mundane things as Besan or Egg Plant ( Baingan)

As there are lots of Syntheica material which might be drying up and releasing few hundred molecules ( All that nice smell of new Car and seat covers) in air chances are if you are allergic to any one of these you might be heaving those symptoms.

One thing you can check is to take a few friend unrelated to each other in your Car in morning and check if they are also heaving same symptoms to rule out possiblity of some agent triggering allergy to you personally.

In case this is an allergy you can work by elemination method to find what is the root cause
Old 27th August 2008, 19:15   #21
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
One thing you can check is to take a few friend unrelated to each other in your Car in morning and check if they are also heaving same symptoms to rule out possiblity of some agent triggering allergy to you personally.

In case this is an allergy you can work by elemination method to find what is the root cause
Well I have already got it verified from 3 different people and they all reported the same thing. Must not common to all four of us, if its the allergy.

I will talk to the seat cover seller to know if anyone else has reported such thing before.

Old 27th August 2008, 19:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Nitin,

For the sound from the dash, of late I have noticed that when I accelerate from a stand still with A/c on, I get some kind of 'water circulation' noise. It is as if water is being passed thru a pipe behind the dash. Confused!!!
OT : Your car's AC circulation pipe is blocked buddy. It may be clogged with Dirt etc. I had the same problem with my Ikon & eventually , even i found water leaking inside on the co-passenger side. Went to my mechanic , he took the pipe out from under the dash, cleaned it & voila , the water circulation noise & water leaking insde the cabin problem vanished.
Old 28th August 2008, 01:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No flowers in my car.

And yes I dont really run the car with windows down and the AC has always run in the reciculation mode. Can that be the problem ?

But there must be the source since the things comes back in a nights time. I leave the car fine in the evening and when I come back in the morning, the next day, i fell the same thing again.

ANother thing, I do not have any idea what ORVMS is. ANy inputs ?

Also any inputs on the sound coming from inside the dash ?

thats the panel missing there, in the pic.

my car is 2.7years old, and i still feel the stench when i enter the car every morning, its because of the absence of these panels and the chemicals that enter the cabin from the inside of the car, when i say inside i mean from the gaps between the outer door metal sheet and the door pad inside.

but some how in your car i guess there is a similar leak like that leading to this or may be just may be they have sprayed some insecticides or anti fungal sprays in to the ac blowers, all of these could definitely be the reason just check for these and the issue should be sorted out.

hope all this helps and you find the root of the problem soon to solve it.
Attached Thumbnails
Wierd problem: Toxicity in my new Alto-i8473.jpg  

Old 28th August 2008, 01:59   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I get the same effect from some cheap plastic items... it is like something is not 'cured' properly and they give off a petrol- or spirit-like smell. Stings my eyes.

Regular offenders for me include the 'nice' bags given away by sari shops, if they are plastic and not fibre, and the 'gift' bags given away by jewellery shops.

Have you experienced such a thing from these items, and is this similar?

Looks to me like the focus is falling on those seat covers: you say it started when you got them.

One thing though... recently we bought a foam-rubber mattress and pillows (oh heck, my brain is saying lactose, but that's milk --- whatever real rubber is called, the stuff that makes mattresses that are cool and not sweaty).

It smelt like we'd painted the bedroom! The pillows were fine, but the mattress was not (maybe the faric covering it). After three days, just as the company was about to send someone round, assuring us that no way should it smell of anything --- it cleared! And my wife regularly spends a night at there daughter's place, so if we had just got used to it, she would be able to smell it again after coming back the next day.

That's why I suggested a good airing.

But the cheap plastic smell... I've left stuff out in the garden for weeks and the smell was still there.
Old 28th August 2008, 02:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Have no doubt, this is from the seat cover. The seat cover material, when hot, emits obnoxious fumes which causes irritation to the eye and god knows what else.

I had the exact same problem and it goes away as the material ages. Solution is to throw out the seat cover. If that is not possible, open all the windows, run fan at full blast(in fresh air mode) for 2 minutes to clear out the stale air.

Strangely, I chose to live with this problem than escalating it. I now wonder why.
Old 28th August 2008, 14:26   #26
BHPian

This is quite a revealing discussion. I had the same problems with my new seat covers, and the problem went away after a while. This still happens in hot sun with AC in the re-circulate mode. Once you let the external air in, it gets better. This is why I guess good seat covers/jeans/clothes are more expensive since they don't deteriorate.

What would be a good way to check for this? Smell the fabric when you are buying/installing it? I guess the least damaging fabric would be the towel stuff that is sold.
Old 28th August 2008, 18:19   #27
nitin.dangayach

Thanks for the replies guys. I experienced that the intensity has subsided but there are, still, some of the said effects. I hope to get rid of it after while.

I even SUN*DRIED the car and have used the blower at full for some time. Strnge thing is that if i try to smell the seat covers, they dont really feel offensive in any way.

Anyway, I will keep updating you all about my findings.

Old 28th August 2008, 19:16   #28
BHPian

Delhi/NCR Air

It might sound utterly stupid but within the last 4-5 days my mother has also complained about itching and burning eyes when she sat in my car. (no such problem before)

Same thing happened twice with my girlfriend as well. However, I've been totally unaffected.

I think it's to do with something in the air maybe ?
Old 28th August 2008, 22:01   #29
nitin.dangayach

Somthing wrong with the air as well, in NCR :P

Old 29th August 2008, 00:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
It might sound utterly stupid but within the last 4-5 days my mother has also complained about itching and burning eyes when she sat in my car. (no such problem before)

Same thing happened twice with my girlfriend as well. However, I've been totally unaffected.

I think it's to do with something in the air maybe ?
Quote:
Somthing wrong with the air as well, in NCR :P

hhmmm, may be this is something like an allergy only with few it does not agree like the dust allergies, what say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks