Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2008, 19:04   #1
BHPian

Esteem - Need Help

There is a peculiar problem i am currently facing with my old esteem(carbed). Whenever i am pushing or driving it lil hard i.e revving more aggresively, after few kms the car somehow dies out when in ideal or if i choose to shut it off, it will take time to come back on.

Also if driven hard with AC on, at times the AC would just stop working for a min or so and then will be back on.

What could be the reasons for this, the car was serviced a month back or so.

Is it due to electricals, is it a good idea to get the complete wiring changes as it is an old vehicle. What should be the cost for it and which are the preffered brands of wires to be used if not OEM stuff.

Thanks.
Old 28th August 2008, 19:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks like an out of tune carb.Howz the pickup ?is it the same how it was before the service?
Old 28th August 2008, 20:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
pushing or driving it lil hard i.e revving more aggresively, after few kms the car somehow dies out when in ideal or if i choose to shut it off, it will take time to come back on.
I had this problem in my carb Zen, the fix was relatively simple.
Anyway when the engine "dies" next time pull over and try to open the fuel filler cap, if its too tight and hard to open, the problem might be the same as I faced.

While driving hard it consumes more fuel and (in my case) the fuel cap was so tight there was no breathing space and hence fuel flow was interrupted.

Solution : cut a small gap in the "O" shaped rubber ring.

Having said this, in your case however I thing there might be a problem as A/C performance is hit too.

Check the following.

1. Fuel/Air filter
2. Fuel pump
3. Re-tune the carb
4. Check if Primary and Secondary stage of the card is operatinal.

Hope this helps.
Old 28th August 2008, 20:35   #4
BHPian

The pickup is just perfect as it was before, no issues with it.
I will check on the others as suggested by yzfrj.

One more observation was when the car shut off at one time, the dashboard meter display unit didnt showed any lights like normally there are lights which get displayed for battery, petrol etc. even with the key in ON position.
Old 28th August 2008, 20:39   #5
BHPian

Hey.. ever looked at the temperature needle when that happens...

i have not experianced the engine cut off. but i had faced a lot of AC cutoffs. The problem was diagnosed to overheating of car which was due to a low coolent level.

another friend of mine had a similar issue (AC cut off) and the problem was diagnosed to high temperature due to faulty radiator fan.
Old 28th August 2008, 21:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
The pickup is just perfect as it was before, no issues with it.
I will check on the others as suggested by yzfrj.

One more observation was when the car shut off at one time, the dashboard meter display unit didnt showed any lights like normally there are lights which get displayed for battery, petrol etc. even with the key in ON position.

sounds like an electrical problem at least. get the contacts of your battery cleaned. not sure how much rewiring would cost (if needed).
Old 28th August 2008, 22:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Get an old experienced mechanic - not the new generation MPFI trained ones - to look at your carburettor and clean it. The air fuel mixture ratio should also be adjusted. The AC problem could be a completely unrelated one.
Old 29th August 2008, 12:33   #8
BHPian

i will get the carb checked up.

There is no issues with temperatures.. they are well maintained and the fan works fine. Coolant is uptill the limit it should be in the radiator.
Old 29th August 2008, 12:46   #9
BHPian

If you say that the A/C cuts off for sometime i.e a min or so then it is probably by design as there is an auto-cut off when accelerating suddenly or at higher revs as the load on the engine is more.
But if its happening all the time with normal driving then the A/C clutch is at fault, get it checked.

Sorry cant help with the other problem, am a total sucker at carbs.
Old 29th August 2008, 12:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Get your Air filter cleaned or better replace it. The engine switching off & taking a few cranks to start after high revving could be because of that.

For the AC, as you said that there is no overheating, take it to a good mechanic & check it out.
Old 29th August 2008, 13:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

You've got a vapour lock issue. Check your fuel pump and fuel lines from the tank till the delivery point!

Or Blindly replace the fuel lines and get your carb tuned up and distributor points and engine timing corrected!
Old 29th August 2008, 13:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You've got a vapour lock issue. Check your fuel pump and fuel lines from the tank till the delivery point!

Or Blindly replace the fuel lines and get your carb tuned up and distributor points and engine timing corrected!
Also happens if there is a leak in the vaccum hose. Please check that out too.
Old 29th August 2008, 13:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

its the same john, a leak in the vacuum hose cannot have vacuum in it. It starts sucking air and hence the issue!
Old 1st September 2008, 12:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Most probably the cutout of your alternator needs replacement. Happened in my Carb esteem as well. Its simply died down, all lights went off, the AC stopped working, the car refuses to move. It is an electrical issue, most probably to do with charging problems. For me the cutout was faulty.
Old 6th September 2008, 19:11   #15
BHPian

Thanks all, got the problem rectified. Cleaned the carbs and filter and it works fine,also had the wiring checked, it was short at one place.

I need suggestion with another of the things on my mind.

I am running the regular exaust for esteem, not to get more grovier sound i was thinking of removing the catcon from the exaust system.

Now in going ahead with this plan, will i be able to revert back to the addition of catcon in the sytem back again or not.

I am looking for a sasta workout for some time as this car will be sold in the near future, so want to enjoy a lil sportier sound @ less expense. Any other ways to achieve this out.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks