Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2008, 13:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

also checkout the black & decker web site and also, the skil's they both have some very good cordless drills, just check out for the tech specs and prices and please let us know of the after sales service in India, i just had less energy to do that, if all these seem good i have eyes set of the 18V cordless B&D vaccum cleaner and impact driller come screwdriver.
Old 31st August 2008, 14:34   #17
BHPian

I couldnt find a B&D site for India and all the products listed on their Global site arent available here. Or atleast they werent available at the shop i visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
also checkout the black & decker web site and also, the skil's they both have some very good cordless drills, just check out for the tech specs and prices and please let us know of the after sales service in India, i just had less energy to do that, if all these seem good i have eyes set of the 18V cordless B&D vaccum cleaner and impact driller come screwdriver.
Old 31st August 2008, 19:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

okay, may be they dont market in India and only grey imports are available i guess, but still it would be worth it, my driller is also grey the model GSB RE10 in not the model available in the Indian site either, just try and do research and look for the better features, if they offer better features including the torque control AKA the two drill settings as seen on my driller one for only drilling/screwing etc, and other for drilling concrete, steel, wood, etc,

good luck with it all, i suggest you go to the hardware market of the town and visit a few shops and do the home work at home on the net too before you make the kill.
Old 31st August 2008, 22:25   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the two drill settings as seen on my driller one for only drilling/screwing etc, and other for drilling concrete, steel, wood, etc,
I can't make out clearly the symbols on your photo, but on every electric drill in my experience, the adjustment is:

Hammer --- for drilling masonry.

No Hammer --- for drilling everything else (and screwing, of course)

It simply turns on or off the percussive forward/backward movement of the drill bit, without which drilling into concrete is a painful job if at all possible.

The hammer setting should not be used for drilling other materials
Old 1st September 2008, 03:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I can't make out clearly the symbols on your photo, but on every electric drill in my experience, the adjustment is:

Hammer --- for drilling masonry.

No Hammer --- for drilling everything else (and screwing, of course)

It simply turns on or off the percussive forward/backward movement of the drill bit, without which drilling into concrete is a painful job if at all possible.

The hammer setting should not be used for drilling other materials
you are right, but,

the model i mentioned in one of my previous posts with the linkys to the sites is a cordless and should have this setting too, its a impact wrench, other cordless ones usually dont sport this, hence the reason for mentioning.

also a few drillers dont have this as they could be starting or entry level drills with or without cord., this features and a few more come in real handy while working with them.
Old 10th September 2008, 16:14   #21
BHPian

Aditya,

Did you find the screw driver? Do let me know as even im looking forward to buy one. Im looking for a small screw driver. I saw one at the Auto Expo. It was from Bosch but was expensive IIRC. Its the IXO i guess.

What im using rightnow is a B&D cordless screw driver. Its a 9.6 volts driver and is quite powerful. It has decent battery backup too. There is new B&D 12v driver available now in my city. I think they are available officially as i was given a stamped warranty card. The dealer has more B&D power tools like a wood planer, powered drill machine etc.

I also have one powered screw driver/drill in case the battery on y B&D driver gives up. It is dirt cheap at 800 bucks. But the best part is, it has variable speed and torque plus reverse/forward motion and a dial on the trigger to limit the rpm. It also has a cordless type chuck(hand operated). It also came with spare brushes.

Although, its not as powerful as my B&D driver, it is sufficient for working with wood and mdf. I also have one power drill with no variable controls.

IMO, the B&D 12v cordless driver should be nice and they are cheaper than Bosch. the one i have has never given me any trouble. i had bought this a few months(or a year) back and have used it almost everyday. I have used it to drill 10mm dia holes in mdf and wood plus i have used it on the walls to hang pictures.

cheers.

P.S. - Need help on how to use a router. i had bought one a few weeks back but couldn't use it. i want to use it to cut out MDF speacer rings. The problem is, i don't know what kind of attachment is needed. It would be great if any one can help me with details and a pic.
Old 11th September 2008, 08:16   #22
BHPian

@clipto333

Im still looking for the screwdriver, not yet sure whether to get the branded ones costing rs. 3xxx or not. Its mainly because my usage is very very less, i have a drill since 3-4 yrs and have barely used it ten times.

But like you said the powered screwdriver would be a better alternative for me. What brand is yours ? and in what kind of shops do you get them, i looked everywhere and only one of them had a powered screwdriver (and that too a single model).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
Aditya,

Did you find the screw driver? Do let me know as even im looking forward to buy one. Im looking for a small screw driver. I saw one at the Auto Expo. It was from Bosch but was expensive IIRC. Its the IXO i guess.

What im using rightnow is a B&D cordless screw driver. Its a 9.6 volts driver and is quite powerful. It has decent battery backup too. There is new B&D 12v driver available now in my city. I think they are available officially as i was given a stamped warranty card. The dealer has more B&D power tools like a wood planer, powered drill machine etc.

I also have one powered screw driver/drill in case the battery on y B&D driver gives up. It is dirt cheap at 800 bucks. But the best part is, it has variable speed and torque plus reverse/forward motion and a dial on the trigger to limit the rpm. It also has a cordless type chuck(hand operated). It also came with spare brushes.

Although, its not as powerful as my B&D driver, it is sufficient for working with wood and mdf. I also have one power drill with no variable controls.

IMO, the B&D 12v cordless driver should be nice and they are cheaper than Bosch. the one i have has never given me any trouble. i had bought this a few months(or a year) back and have used it almost everyday. I have used it to drill 10mm dia holes in mdf and wood plus i have used it on the walls to hang pictures.

cheers.

P.S. - Need help on how to use a router. i had bought one a few weeks back but couldn't use it. i want to use it to cut out MDF speacer rings. The problem is, i don't know what kind of attachment is needed. It would be great if any one can help me with details and a pic.

Last edited by adityamunshi : 11th September 2008 at 08:17.
Old 12th September 2008, 22:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
@clipto333

Im still looking for the screwdriver, not yet sure whether to get the branded ones costing rs. 3xxx or not. Its mainly because my usage is very very less, i have a drill since 3-4 yrs and have barely used it ten times.

But like you said the powered screwdriver would be a better alternative for me. What brand is yours ? and in what kind of shops do you get them, i looked everywhere and only one of them had a powered screwdriver (and that too a single model).
If your usage is less and limited to minor drilling and screw driving, this 800 bucks drill is the one for you i guess. I dont remember the brand and it isn't worth remembering. But, IMHO, no other drill can beat this on price or features.

The best feature IMO is the chuck. It takes a lot less time to replace a bit as it doesn't need a tightening key.

If you want, i can buy and send it to you. i will try posting a pic. if You remove the brand label, it looks quite high quality ddrill lol.

cheers
Old 13th September 2008, 07:32   #24
BHPian

Please post pics.
BTW, I have located a few more shops in my city, ill look for it there.
In case i dont find it, i'll let you know. and thanks a ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
If your usage is less and limited to minor drilling and screw driving, this 800 bucks drill is the one for you i guess. I dont remember the brand and it isn't worth remembering. But, IMHO, no other drill can beat this on price or features.

The best feature IMO is the chuck. It takes a lot less time to replace a bit as it doesn't need a tightening key.

If you want, i can buy and send it to you. i will try posting a pic. if You remove the brand label, it looks quite high quality ddrill lol.

cheers
Old 14th September 2008, 21:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Please post pics.
BTW, I have located a few more shops in my city, ill look for it there.
In case i dont find it, i'll let you know. and thanks a ton
You are welcome. i will try posting pics tomorrow.

While doing your research, if you can, please let me know if a good dremel is available. Its been a while ive been trying to source one.

clip
Old 15th September 2008, 19:19   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Dremel, I learnt recently when I bought mine, is part of the bosch family, so check the Bosch website for a distributor in your area and they may be able to help you.
Old 1st February 2017, 16:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cordless Screwdriver

I am looking to pick up a powered cordless screw-driver. Short-listed two Bosch units, both powered Li-Ion battery. Bosch IXO 3 vs Bosch Collated Screw Gun

Question - would I need a higher-powered one, if my usage is just around the house / cars / basic work on some appliances at home ?

Last edited by condor : 1st February 2017 at 16:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks