Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2008, 16:53   #1
BHPian

Servicing of Major Electical components of Palio

My 2002 Palio had been giving me an excellent service with next to nil problems till recently. However, I faced a series of electrical problems in last few months.

It started in Feb -2008 - Wiper wash stopped working, was traced to cut wiring (eaten by Rats?). Then in Mar 2008 - Wipers not returning to "zero" position. Initially the problem was occasional but then slowly the frequency increased almost to every time. Fiat service center said it was most probably a switch problem and not major, could be fixed at later day. Eventually just as the rains arrived, the wipers speed also got affected. even on "intermittent" mode it would work randomly at at medium or full speed. Finally the entire wiper problem was diagnosed to damaged wiper motor, replacement required, cost Rs. 4400 + labor Rs 200 (at Lucas service center). Then in July, the Starter failed. Repair cost ~ Rs.1500.

I was wondering if the life of these components was limited to ~6 years or was it something else.

While discussing this issue with Lucas guys, one interesting point emerged. Lucas said that these components are very robust, long lasting and my problems with the wiper motor and starter could have been easily avoided if both of these were just properly serviced in time. They explained that during the so called "normal" or "routine" service offered at the Car dealers service centers, these major electrical components are not attended at all. In fact they go unattended till they fail, and are required to be repaired/replaced at major cost.

Lucas S.C. offered a package wherein at Rs 1200 all the main electrical components (viz. starter, wipers & motor, alternator, battery, and wiring) are checked and serviced . They informed that in this the starter/wiper motor/alternator are completely removed, checked, greased and fitted back. They advised that this should be done say once in two years.

I am convinced that considering the importance of the electrical in the modern cars, it is important to go for periodical service of the electrical components.

Your views please....
Old 31st August 2008, 23:15   #2
BHPian

I would not get my electrical components serviced. As far as I know, modern electrical motors are sealed units that are not serviceable. Having them pulled out and disassembled for greasing will reduce their reliability.

The fact that repairs are done is just a cost savings method that results in a component will less than OEM reliability. This is only possible in India due to the relatively low cost of labor.

Starters, alternators, wiper motors, are designed to be replaced when they fail. Problem in India is that the conditions are very severe due to high heat, moisture, dust, etc. This causes reduced lifetime.

By the way, the symptoms of your wiper problem sounds like a switch issue and not a motor failure. Are you sure that the motor was replaced, and do you have the original part?
Old 1st September 2008, 01:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Many electrical components, for example Alternators have parts inside which are replaceable. For example Rectifier, Regulator etc., can be replaced individually you don't need to replace the whole alternator.
Even winding can be rewound, but you need an expert for that.
I have access to a very very good electrician in Noida, and I have seen him repairing power window motors also since the guy did not want to pay astronomical amounts to skoda for the same.
Old 1st September 2008, 10:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
By the way, the symptoms of your wiper problem sounds like a switch issue and not a motor failure. Are you sure that the motor was replaced, and do you have the original part?
Hi Red,
That was what I thought initially and same was the tenetative diagnosis of the Fiat service center too, but they were not very sure. But when I took the car to the Lucas service center, they removed the wiper motor and refitted the new one in front of me to confirm that it was the motor problem. Further, they opened the old motor to show me the sticky rotor as well as a burnt part on the attached circuit. The former cuased the later they said. With the new motor, all became normal. BTW, getting this done at Lucas saved me Rs. 750 on motor (plus I get one year guarantee for it), compared Fiat SC.
Old 1st September 2008, 23:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Many electrical components, for example Alternators have parts inside which are replaceable. For example Rectifier, Regulator etc., can be replaced individually you don't need to replace the whole alternator.
Even winding can be rewound, but you need an expert for that.
I have access to a very very good electrician in Noida, and I have seen him repairing power window motors also since the guy did not want to pay astronomical amounts to skoda for the same.
Would you share the name and contact number for this electrician?
Old 2nd September 2008, 00:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

His name is Imam, and he does not have a shop. Is found near Hemkunt motors(spares shop) in sector 16 noida. This is near Castrol car service.
Tell him that the guy with black indica sent you
Old 2nd September 2008, 23:21   #7
Rai
BANNED

Lucas Service Center in Bangalore?

Hi,
This is a very good info. Does anybody know the Lucas center in Bangalore, who does the same jobs mentioned above?

I thougt I would take my Fiat Petra & Tata Sierra to this place for Preventive Maintanance.
When I think of it, My Sierras' Power Window takes ages to Bring up/down the Window glasses. Also I observed that in my Petra the Defog is not working on Rear Glass. May be I can get all these small Electrical problems sorted out at one shot
Gurus, Tell me the right Place in Bangalore where I can do the preventive Maintanance on my car electricals/components?

Thanks & Regards
Rai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks