Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 13:18   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
If you want academic training, your best bet will be either a Diploma or an ITI course. The level of hands on training is way above any degree course. However, these courses are usually considered second/third rung, and preferred by employers only at workshop level.

If you want informal training, find yourself a good mentor. Somebody who is willing to teach. Somebody with a lot of experience under his belt, will teach you far more than picking up a junked car and trying to fiddle around yourself.

It's fun, but it's dirty. And a lot of work.
Exactly it s fun dirty and a lot of hard work too which aint respected by non technical guy s and they alway s have a feeling of being ripped off .
This is one of the reason why our roadside mechanic alway s is seen as a suspect which put s him off in a huge way and it end s in bad taste for both the mechaniic and guy who does nt really know about his car and does nt care !!
This is also one of the reason which prompt s the poor fellow to do what he is suspected of all the time i have come across quite a few trustworthy hand s down repair master s !! You need to treat them with little dignity , he is the doctor to your car !! I know it s not a noble proffession and it maybe wrong to compare that of a doctors to theirs !!
but just to give you an idea !!

Regards
SAajan
Old 24th October 2008, 22:38   #17

hi im a new member and in fact saw your thread on google.
i was interested in the GD Naidu institute course on engine design.
i was hoping to get more info on the course.
thanks
Old 29th November 2008, 13:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I attended a 2 week course in Automobiles in Coimbatore. It was organised by this GD Naidu Charity Trust.

If any of you wants details, I'll dig it out from my email inbox and post it here.
Dear Sir,
Please send the details of the training.For a long time I am looking for a crash course on car repairing (the road side type not the theory type).As being woman it is not possible for me approach roadside trainers so I am looking for a institute where this roadsiders train
Bonosree

Note From Support Staff: Please avoid quoting a full big post
Old 29th November 2008, 23:54   #19
BHPian

I personally learnt whatever little I know by sitting next to the mechanic whenever my car went for any repair job - minor ones to major overhauls to paintjobs/body-repairs!

After that I bought a service manual and a set of tools and from that day I've done most of the servicing/repairs myself (except for something major which I didn't have the tools for) .

P.S: while going through the newer crop of service manuals dished out by Maruti these days, i've noticed that the service manuals of the older carburetted cars were more detailed!
Old 30th November 2008, 00:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

most important thing to learn is the Interest and love for the work. Enjoying every step of the process. Not just getting the job done.

You can find a really good ol mechanic and ask him directly for the cause. Most of them will be happy take you as his helper. Buy some good books, WWW is full of resources, wikipedia, how stuff works. etc etc.
read and try them for yourself practically.

Last edited by SirAlec : 30th November 2008 at 00:39.
Old 21st February 2011, 09:31   #21
BHPian

Re: Good down & dirty auto mechanic courses in India

I know this is a very old thread but i need some help.
I want to learn car repair stuff, so far what i have learnt is from mechanics sitting next to them whenever my car breaks down. Now i an interested i going into more details, can anyone let me know some place in pune where i can take it.
I have always been fascinated with car designing and restoring stuff, was thinking to taking it up as a business. I will really require every team BHPians advice how to procees in this How to setup and what investments are required.
Old 27th February 2011, 20:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Car designing is big game. You would not only need formal and informal education but also work with some car design studio for a considerable number of years before you can think of doing it independently. Or follow another route where you start designing customization kits for existing cars and graduate to designing complete cars. Investments IMO would be huge.

Car restoration would require you to have a very detailed knowledge about the cars you want to work on. Again, you would have to invest a few years of your life into learning everything you can about cars in general, before you can think of starting off on your own. Investments would be relatively less, but consider this: you will be spending a few years in the auto repairs and maintenance business, you won't get paid much and you could be doing something else all those years which paid more.

Apart from joining a good garage and getting your hands dirty, there's nothing else that comes to mind if you want to look for practical training. There are some dealerships such as Navnit which conduct automobile workshops but it's mostly on high-end modern cars. Not much use in restoration.

A better bet would be to manage a business where you will have experienced hands employed and working for you who will do the actual job, while you manage the business angle of things such as marketing, bringing in customers, procuring parts and such.
Old 28th April 2011, 12:53   #23

Hello!

My name is Sahil Mongia. I am currently working in R&D of leading Indian automotive firm. I have been working since 2 years and doing mostly development work.

I always wanted to start a service station for premium cars. But currently i dont have enough knowledge related to servicing and maintainance of a car. I have been looking for some courses which can help me learn few things about the same. But as of now no luck.
If anybody has an idea about any courses, any colleges,any universities ,anywhere (preferably India) which can solve my query please help me out. Thank you
Old 12th August 2011, 23:14   #24

Learning after market performance modification

( I really dont know if this is the appropriate place to start this thread, if not moderators please shift this accordingly)

I was thinking of starting this thread a long time back, but was not really sure if I should start it , but now I am in desperate need of some good advice. Baking on you all. Please advice me on this issue...

What option does a student who has deep interest in after market performance modification do to gain practical and theory knowledge in this field. Theory knowledge is still available on the net and the various books but what about practical.
After meeting various modifiers around the town I realized that this industry is very closely guarded and no outsider is permitted to know their trade secret and their way of working, but if someone is really interested in this industry and wants to learn the trade from the gurus then what option is there before him.
Is there any school/training for the same or the only option before him is to buy an OHC spend a good amount on all the three stages of modification, take part in various races and then when he is known in the circuit he can start up on his own.
I am just out of my college and really want to work in this industry, I dont have a good mod friendly car or the money to spend on modifying a second hand car, fellow team-bhpiams please advise me on the same.
Old 12th August 2011, 23:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Learning after market performance modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil M View Post
I am just out of my college and really want to work in this industry.
What exactly do you mean by this industry? It is just modding or is is working with a reputed automobile OEM.

In case you are working with automobile OEM there are few (But still present) chances that you will get to work on mods. Only the cars for rallys are modded.

But if you are looking to work specifically for modding purpose, those companies would entertain people with experience only.

Now coming to performance modification I suggest you get a job, work for 2 years. Buy a used Palio 1.6 or OHC or a Swift and then start your project. Dont be in too much of a hurry. Good things come to those who wait!
Old 13th August 2011, 01:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

If you want to sell, do a good marketing course, have a big capital on hand and start pimping your stuff on various forums and car meets.

If you want to develop your own stuff, get an engineering degree in Mech or Automobile or Chem. Or borrow books from someone and go through them. Then learn how that applies to the common engines available here. Look at various parts and see how something can be improved. Most of the scene consists of people who are good at fitting parts, not creating them. Good luck. The glamour is just the top layer, there is a lot of crap underneath.
Old 13th August 2011, 02:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am just out of my college and really want to work in this industry, I dont have a good mod friendly car or the money to spend on modifying a second hand car, fellow team-bhpiams please advise me on the same.
You could apply for a job as an apprentice with an established player like Red Rooster in Bangalore that would be one sure shot way of learning the ropes and being paid for it at the same time. There are many shops like Red rooster but most of them are one man shows. RR is a professionally managed organization and just might have an apprentice programme in place. All the best. Ciao
Old 14th August 2011, 00:40   #28

[quote=oxyzen;2466634]What exactly do you mean by this industry? It is just modding or is is working with a reputed automobile OEM.

I am as of now just interested in modding and not working with a reputed OEM, the latter will probably be the option after a Masters course

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post

If you want to develop your own stuff, get an engineering degree in Mech or Automobile or Chem. Or borrow books from someone and go through them. Then learn how that applies to the common engines available here. Look at various parts and see how something can be improved. Most of the scene consists of people who are good at fitting parts, not creating them. Good luck. The glamour is just the top layer, there is a lot of crap underneath.
I am a mechanical engineer with good experience in automobiles. I want some practical knowledge before applying for a masters course and I really love the modding stuff so I was hoping to get some knowledge here before I go for further studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You could apply for a job as an apprentice with an established player like Red Rooster in Bangalore that would be one sure shot way of learning the ropes and being paid for it at the same time. There are many shops like Red rooster but most of them are one man shows. RR is a professionally managed organization and just might have an apprentice programme in place. All the best. Ciao
I will try for Red Rooster.

Thanks a lot for ypur support
Old 14th August 2011, 19:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragya View Post
I know this is a very old thread but i need some help.
I want to learn car repair stuff, so far what i have learnt is from mechanics sitting next to them whenever my car breaks down. Now i an interested i going into more details, can anyone let me know some place in pune where i can take it.
I have always been fascinated with car designing and restoring stuff, was thinking to taking it up as a business. I will really require every team BHPians advice how to procees in this How to setup and what investments are required.
Quote:
( I really dont know if this is the appropriate place to start this thread, if not moderators please shift this accordingly)

I was thinking of starting this thread a long time back, but was not really sure if I should start it , but now I am in desperate need of some good advice. Baking on you all. Please advice me on this issue...

What option does a student who has deep interest in after market performance modification do to gain practical and theory knowledge in this field. Theory knowledge is still available on the net and the various books but what about practical.
After meeting various modifiers around the town I realized that this industry is very closely guarded and no outsider is permitted to know their trade secret and their way of working, but if someone is really interested in this industry and wants to learn the trade from the gurus then what option is there before him.
Is there any school/training for the same or the only option before him is to buy an OHC spend a good amount on all the three stages of modification, take part in various races and then when he is known in the circuit he can start up on his own.
I started my journey last year with something similar in my mind.

Check this thread & my posts to know from where i started to where i have reached.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...lp-please.html

I thought my dream of starting my own garage will end ones i join Mercedes since i will only get to work on single brand cars but i was proved wrong. To know how check the last post in the above linked thread.
Old 14th August 2011, 22:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a mechanical engineer with good experience in automobiles. I want some practical knowledge before applying for a masters course and I really love the modding stuff so I was hoping to get some knowledge here before I go for further studies
As an engineer, you will cringe at some of the stuff done in the name of tuning. Even at the highest level. Want examples? Try this. Using local/China-made sleeves from diesel gensets in engines made for "racing". Do not waste your knowledge. I assume you've worked with quite a bunch of automotive parts since you're a mechanical engineer. What's stopping you from getting your hands dirty on your own car?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. You have a fresh mind, don't waste it. Just my 2 cents. Been on both sides of the fence. I ended up being an integral part of a team that destroyed the national record for the highest power pulled from a naturally aspirated OHC VTEC engine, way more than what is achieved by quite a few tuners doing turbo jobs on these same engines.

Last edited by pranavt : 14th August 2011 at 22:23.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks