Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2009, 13:05   #16
BHPian

Engine overhauled

I recently overhauled my Sierra engine.

Well after overhauling went for a ride for 200kms.The engine got overheated.Called the mechanic he told its normal for a new engine.He asked me to wait for sometime and then continue.

So my question is it normal for a new overhaulled engine to overheat if yes still what kms will i face this issue.
Old 18th July 2009, 13:37   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Prerana Motors (both Old Madras Rd and Peenya) is the only TASS among the known ones who service the Sierra.

Among non-TASS, Raam Cool Cars, Bannerghatta Rd, is a place where without the usual reluctance they work on Sierras - both NA and Turbo. You may talk to Ram - 9880172727 for details.
@Viju, while I dont know the kind of service you get from Raam C C, I did test his service recently & found he charges as much as an A.S.S. All that without the kind of set up & company wty (where applicable) I get at T.A.S.S. If I am going to pay as much as I would at a A.S.S, I might as well go to a A.S.S itself.
Old 18th July 2009, 19:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
I recently overhauled my Sierra engine.

Well after overhauling went for a ride for 200kms.The engine got overheated.Called the mechanic he told its normal for a new engine.He asked me to wait for sometime and then continue.

So my question is it normal for a new overhaulled engine to overheat if yes still what kms will i face this issue.
Shouldn't happen! Very bad for the engine, especially a newly rebuilt one.
Who did the rebuild and how much did it cost?
Old 20th July 2009, 11:50   #19
BHPian

Rebuild cost me 30 k for the engine only.

i heard from many mechanics that the engine overheats for the first 1000km's.

It was done by a experienced mechanic with me watching over.

And all original parts like goetze pistons & piston rings,tiger power sleeves,gaskets from tata etc.

Guru's pls throw light on it.is this normal or anything else to be done.
The radiator doesn't boil.if stopped for 5 mins the temp returns back to normal
Old 25th July 2009, 23:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

The overheating issue is common for an overhauled Sierra. Happens for the first 500 kms or so if the car is driven over long distances right after the o/h. Happened to mine too, but only on the ghats.

There are a few key things to keep in mind, though.

1) The first thing is to ensure for the overhaul is that the lathe work was done properly, and that ring seal is proper. All 4 rings need to be exactly 90 degrees apart, starting with the compression ring crack facing the intake side. The timing key at the crank has to be the OE half-arc, else the timing tends to be amiss, despite there being a lock for the timing wheel on the head. All these need to be checked at re-assembly.
2) The thermostat NEEDS to be changed after the overhaul. Actually, I used mine without one for the run-in. (direct line to the radiator)
3) The fuel pump needs to be re-caliberated.
4) Use coolant for the first 2000 kms, and change that along with the engine oil. Ideally, most mechanics would suggest changing oil after either the first 750 or 1000 kms. I would recommend the first oil change after the first 1000 km run-in, second at 2000, and every 4000 thereon. The intervals are every 5000 kms for the turbo, if I remember correctly.

BTW, what size pistons did you put in? Standard/0.25/0.5(mm oversize)? Any oil signs in the radiator?
Old 25th July 2009, 23:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey Atul,
Is there an explanation for the overheating?
Old 25th July 2009, 23:54   #22
BHPian

reddy sir,

I am from the IT World, if a mechanic does not want to be recognised he will not have his name in the blue/yellow/white pages.

As GTO suggested, since there is sentimental value with this vehilce, do take it to a Authorized Service center.
Old 28th July 2009, 03:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Mahendra, the overheating issue only happens on the old (upto '96) Sierras. The primary problem would be with deck clearance, methinks. The old 483 DL's coolant lines are smaller compared to the newer 97 & up NA & turbo model. Even the oil lines on the block are smaller (by a millimeter, maybe, but visible), and the head designs are slightly offset too. Also, the crankcase ventilation given in the newer block (now defunct) is much better, considering that the old ones didn't have any.

Ah, the pains and joys of owning a Sierra....!
Old 28th July 2009, 07:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Viju, while I dont know the kind of service you get from Raam C C, I did test his service recently & found he charges as much as an A.S.S. All that without the kind of set up & company wty (where applicable) I get at T.A.S.S. If I am going to pay as much as I would at a A.S.S, I might as well go to a A.S.S itself.
condor,

Sorry, i saw your post only today.

Of late, that is in the last one year or so, quality of service at the workshop above has become very poor. One reason being none of the experienced mechanics work there anymore. Due to this i have almost stopped going there.

Now almost all routine works get done at home with a 'kind of ok' mechanic who visits home. For highly skilled works there is a workshop in Calicut in north of Kerala and Kollam in the south. If you have any connections in Kerala and you visit Kerala, it will be worthwhile getting the work done there, though it would involve lot of planning.

In year 2009, the turbo, head gasket change, rear suspension complete overhaul and routine change of oils were all done at home. No my home is not a workshop . And towards end of last year sliding yoke in pr. shaft, change of full clutch assy and fitting bilsteins, etc got done at small workshop in kerala.

Now i go to major workshops only if am forced to and also for major electrical works. I have learnt how to keep costs down and how not to mess up the car in the process of repairing something. The last time i visited was in an emergency - when right side torsion bar broke.

Looking back i have no regrets for doing this way, only that i do a bit more running around rather than asking somebody to check some part and get billed exorbitant in that process.

Viju
Old 28th July 2009, 10:30   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
vijuvarghese : Of late, that is in the last one year or so, quality of service at the workshop above has become very poor.

I have learnt how to keep costs down and how not to mess up the car in the process of repairing something.

Looking back i have no regrets for doing this way, only that i do a bit more running around rather than asking somebody to check some part and get billed exorbitant in that process.
@Viju : yes, RAAM C C was kind of known for a decent job.

That's a good way of taking care of your truck. You're involved in things yourself. For me, the TASS works just right. If you ever need a reference at Prerana, do let me know.
Old 29th July 2009, 22:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese
The last time i visited was in an emergency - when right side torsion bar broke.
Pardon me for going off-topic here...you have a Sierra Turbo 4x4?? Only the 4x4 Sierras came with torsion bars at the front...!

If you DO, please post some pics & ownership experiences...Sierra 4x4's in the country are harder to come by than an SPOA Humvee in Trichur..!
Old 17th August 2009, 11:11   #27
BHPian

Hi All,

here is the update.Since the vechile is in my native far from mechanics,what we did is emptied the radiator and refilled it again.When doing this the radiator shook a lot maybe air was stuck inside maybe .Then for so many days there was no overheating.

On Saturday went for a ride,traveled 50kms there was no heating(the outside temp was also cool it was drizzling).
When coming back it heated again,the radiator cap could be opened and also the water inside the radiator can be touched.
Waited for some time let it cool and continued again but the vehicle was not moving into 3rd gear.
Didn't understand the problem.then suddenly had to apply break because of some obstruction on the road from then on the engine came back to normal.

My question here is if the brakes are stuck is there any chances of the engine getting overheated.

Excuse me for such a long post.
Old 17th August 2009, 12:09   #28
BHPian

yes, of course! if the brakes are stuck and you are driving, the engine is working a lot harder and there is every chance that the engine would get overheated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
Hi All,

My question here is if the brakes are stuck is there any chances of the engine getting overheated.

Excuse me for such a long post.
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:21   #29
BHPian

Finally the overheating problem was resolved, the culprit was the brake master cylinder which had worn out a little. A new one was replaced(KBX brand).
Now the brakes seem to be on the litter side should i ask the mechanic to adjust the brakes or will they get back to normal after some time.
Old 13th November 2009, 04:30   #30
BANNED

Tata Sierra

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2010 at 16:07.
ridinthru' is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks