Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2008, 22:20   #1
BANNED

Noise on turning right in lancer diesel

My 1999 make lancer diesel, makes a noise while full turning right, like some mechanical part is slipping from its grip. I suspect its drive shaft. Each replacement drive shaft costs Rs.5500/-(6 months warranty), i have no idea about OE. i know it will be much costlier...

Is there any possibilty to replace just the drive shaft bearing at HM workshop?

or should i change the drive shaft set completely.

Is it good to go for replacement brand ( i think its imported one..)
Old 11th August 2009, 18:16   #2
BANNED

I have enquired about this problem, its drive shaft. It costs Rs.3800/- each side. My mechanic also saying that the most worn out part would be bell( its in his language) the part in which bearings inserted, So we can change bell alone.

It costs Rs.1400/-

But i didnt take any decision. What to do?
Old 11th August 2009, 18:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well Lancer parts are expensive. Are you sure the suspension and PS assembly are good ?
Old 11th August 2009, 18:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Does the noise come when the vehicle is stationary and you have the steering turned full circle? Could be power steering.

Or is it when you maneuver steering full circle in movement? Could be drive shaft.
Old 11th August 2009, 18:27   #5
BHPian

Its been a year you spotted the issue. Still have not decided? I fear it might cause more complications. better to get it fixed ASAP.
Old 11th August 2009, 18:33   #6
BHPian

Dear Rajivanoj,

It is the Drive shaft as they call it also know as Excel,

My recommendation is to get the complete drive shaft replaced ,i am not really sure what he is referring as bell as in a drive shaft there is a bearing,Oil which is inside a plastic black colour cover & the noise gets generated when there is a wear & tear in the bearing sometimes due to leakage of oil as Bearing gets damaged due to dust.

Please post the photo of the bell as what he is referring if possible

Alternatively try out the OEM Manufacturer of Drive shaft - in maruti the parts are of company known as Ovel(not sure of spelling) & the oem is quiet cheap compared to Maruti Geniun Parts,I am not sure abt the manufacturer in case of Lancer most probably can ovel itself

How much has ur car clocked ? My lancer has not reported this kind of problem,it all depends on road & drive & driving habits.

Post the Picture of Bell so that the problem gets diagonosed before u actually do the expense,i'll let u know the cost of the drive shaft in delhi if u need for comparision perceptive,let me know if u need the same!

Thanks & Regards
Old 11th August 2009, 20:48   #7
BHPian

Would want to interrupt. My friends esteem on taking a U turn there is noise from the front suspension. Only on U turns the noise comes, regular turns there is no noise. Guess its regular with front wheel drive cars.
Gurus please advice
Old 11th August 2009, 21:46   #8
BANNED

@prince_pervez

yes, Power steering is good, and its been serviced just before 8 months, and suspension also good.

@beejay

no, its not coming when stationary, noise comes like slipping balls in bearing , only when turning to right and in motion (mostly in full turn, no noise when turning here and there in traffic)

@ rodie

yes, but my running is low nowadays. so i didnt look at it. but will concentrate on it this week to rectify.

@anupam00

i have attached the pic of what mechanic referring as 'bell' (may be since it looks like bell, local mechanics say as bell). its been 4.15 lakhs on ODO. The part i marked with an oval mark is he calls as bell .

Perfectly saying, where the tristar bearing is inserted, is 'bell' as per local mechanics slang. But the boot is good and no loss of grease etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Noise on turning right in lancer diesel-front_axle_drive_shaft.jpg  

Old 12th August 2009, 10:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
@prince_pervez

yes, Power steering is good, and its been serviced just before 8 months, and suspension also good.

@beejay

no, its not coming when stationary, noise comes like slipping balls in bearing , only when turning to right and in motion (mostly in full turn, no noise when turning here and there in traffic)

@ rodie

yes, but my running is low nowadays. so i didnt look at it. but will concentrate on it this week to rectify.

@anupam00

i have attached the pic of what mechanic referring as 'bell' (may be since it looks like bell, local mechanics say as bell). its been 4.15 lakhs on ODO. The part i marked with an oval mark is he calls as bell .

Perfectly saying, where the tristar bearing is inserted, is 'bell' as per local mechanics slang. But the boot is good and no loss of grease etc.
Kavesh55: it is not the kind of the problem which u are referring to,infact there is no problem in esteem as well while taking a u turn so may be inspection is required in your friend's car, it is not a generic problem to be specific in front wheel drive cars.

Rajivanoj: Thanks for the pic i am able to connect well with it.

To be precise this problem can be rectified by replacement of a bell alone incase bearing is fine,
I got this replaced in my zen but at the same time reliability is sometime a concern as repaired excel in mechanics language reliability is at stake as in my zen also I remember the excel was broken in a middle of a road so would request no to go for bell replacement due to reliability factor alternatively i would request u instead of getting it bell changed look out for a good local manufacturer of excel they would also give u a guarantee of 6 months with a new excel taken from them & what look from your odo meter is that u drive very well so local manufacturer excel can be considered.

Statistics are
1. Option 1: as per your mechanic: Bell Replaced: approx1400
2. Option 2: Better option is Local Manufacturer Excel: Rs 1600- 2100 approx (in delhi there is a place bogal which has number of good local manufacture of excel)
3. Option 3. Best option in my opinion is OEM New excel approx 3000 rs (if the cost is 3900 rs in agency that finding the same in 3000 rs is quiet possible & it is the similar cost which is there for most of the Indian cars.)

In case u need more information please let me know.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam
Old 12th August 2009, 11:35   #10
BANNED

@ anupam
The cost i specified for the bell is of new one, not an repaired one. (Rs.1400). I think it must be an indian make. I wont go for refurbished one, as you said its not reliable.

Rs.3800 is for whole driveshaft for an side, not bell alone in the shop. But i think lancers OEM drive shaft comes around 11.5k each side.
Old 12th August 2009, 12:47   #11
BHPian

Dear Rajivanoj,

Even if you replace the bell whole driveshaft/excel would be known as replaired as in excel the main components would be your bell,bearing,oil & boot, i would not recomend you for replacing bell.

Option 2 better as local manufacturer would fix new component & would give warranty for the same & all the parts would be new so no compatibity issue which is not visible with eyes & get development with time during drive.you can consider for option 2 also.
Option 3 : Go for drive shaft replacement rs 3800 best option as this is really a very vital part which people don't understand so in my opinion go for option 3 is the best.

In case you need the cost in delhi for excel let me know i'll enquire.

Thanks & Regards
Old 13th August 2009, 20:15   #12
BANNED

Thanks anupam, I am going to get the full drive shaft here in coimbatore, so that i can avail warranty in case some fault occurs within the period. Thanks for your effort.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:35   #13
BHPian

Re: Noise on turning right in lancer diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Would want to interrupt. My friends esteem on taking a U turn there is noise from the front suspension. Only on U turns the noise comes, regular turns there is no noise. Guess its regular with front wheel drive cars.
Gurus please advice
Did this issue get rectified?? If yes, how?
Old 12th June 2012, 17:55   #14
BHPian

There was a bearing issue, the car was sold eventually.
kavesh55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 18:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
There was a bearing issue, the car was sold eventually.
Thanks for the quick reply. Can you be a bit more specific as to which bearing are you talking about. Is it wheel bearing? Drive shaft bearing? Or something else?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks