Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2008, 09:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Noise from Idler bearing...

Hey folks, there seems to be little noise coming from the idler bearing not sure about the exact problem but thats what the mech suspected after the inspection. the noise is not loud at all but can sense that rough noise when you open the hood.

Now should i get it done immediately or can i live with this?

Its Palio Adventure 1.6...

Thanks.
Old 7th September 2008, 11:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

What is the odo reading? Idler bearings, according to auto manuals, are recommended for replacement around 70K+. If the noise is from the idler, then subsequently it will seize and jam resulting in snapping of the belt, that could lead to bigger consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Hey folks, there seems to be little noise coming from the idler bearing not sure about the exact problem but thats what the mech suspected after the inspection. the noise is not loud at all but can sense that rough noise when you open the hood.

Now should i get it done immediately or can i live with this?

Its Palio Adventure 1.6...

Thanks.
Old 8th September 2008, 13:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

i get the same noise while cold starting - the noise reduces as the engine warms up. kinda irritating though. my car: 1.6 GTX with 46K on the odo.
Old 8th September 2008, 13:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

gd, thanks and i think i better get it fixed asap.

Planet: is it normal? cause i think even i get that sound or it is loud when the engine is cold.
Old 8th September 2008, 13:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Planet: is it normal? cause i think even i get that sound or it is loud when the engine is cold.
if you are referring to the khar-khar sound while cold start - then yes! it is loud while cold starting and the noise reduces as the engine warms up.

i dont think it is normal but it is better to get it changed if adviced by the service centre.
Old 9th September 2008, 11:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Idler bearing noisy at 46K? Have you checked the belt tension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
i get the same noise while cold starting - the noise reduces as the engine warms up. kinda irritating though. my car: 1.6 GTX with 46K on the odo.
Before starting the first thing in the morning, try pouring a few drops of oil on the spindle of the idler bearing. If the noise stops, then it is the bearing, or else slightly tighten the belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
if you are referring to the khar-khar sound while cold start - then yes! it is loud while cold starting and the noise reduces as the engine warms up.

i dont think it is normal but it is better to get it changed if adviced by the service centre.

Last edited by gd1418 : 9th September 2008 at 11:43.
Old 9th September 2008, 11:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

nopes - will get it checked at the service centre by September end.

the kharkhar sound stays only for a minute or so while cold starting and then stops.

Edit: ok will do that GD bhai.
Old 11th September 2008, 23:45   #8
Rai
BANNED

Idler Bearing Sound?

Hello,
After reading this thread, I thought let me put my observation too.

I have Petra 1.6 with 51 K KMs on odo.
Off late I am hearing a sound (something like: kat kat kata kat kat kat kata). This is a very very faint sound (as though it is happening from very far place) and I hear it only when I am idling (500 to 600) in traffice junctions (windows up). I feel its something like bearing sound.

Is this something I should be worried about? What this sound may be?
Regards
Rai
Old 12th September 2008, 10:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Open the hood and start the car the first thing in the morning. Can you hear the sound? If yes, try identifying the source. If no, let it idle for sometime and listen if you an hear the sound. It could be one of the bearings

@Planet: what is the update on the bearing issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hello,
After reading this thread, I thought let me put my observation too.

I have Petra 1.6 with 51 K KMs on odo.
Off late I am hearing a sound (something like: kat kat kata kat kat kat kata). This is a very very faint sound (as though it is happening from very far place) and I hear it only when I am idling (500 to 600) in traffice junctions (windows up). I feel its something like bearing sound.

Is this something I should be worried about? What this sound may be?
Regards
Rai
Old 12th September 2008, 12:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, i got the bearing issue fixed...one of the bearing had an issue and i got it changed. it costed me about 1700rs for the bearing.

The car sounds smooth and feels great

gd, thanks for waking me up
Old 12th May 2010, 16:49   #11
BHPian

Reviving this thread again as it contains content directly related to my query.

There is a mild feeble grunting/grinding kinda noise from the hood that could be heard to sensitive ears usually when the engine reaches the 1000-1200 rpm mark, happens while accelerating or deccelarating. When I checked with the service guys, they were referring to the idler bearing. I am trying to see if this explanation looks ok to accept or not ? Else what could be the noise ?

Appreciate your quick response as I am about to take delivery of my car from the service center in a few hours from now.
Old 12th May 2010, 16:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

s3va, when i had this issue in my car i used to hear this even when the car was idling and on revving it it used to increase.

The initial mild noise turned into a loud grunt and thats the time i got this bearing changed. suggest you to get it checked immediately.
Old 12th May 2010, 17:20   #13
BHPian

I have got it checked and thats the response I got, as mentioned in my post earlier. He said to me over phone that he had 'tightened it(IDLER) or something' and it looks normal now. He is on the way to deliver my car, i have to check once I drive.

EDIT : Can someone please provide me an understanding on what the Idler bearing does and how it is related to the timing belt ? Any link to a schematic diagram would be appreciated. Thanks much !

Last edited by s3va : 12th May 2010 at 17:29.
Old 6th September 2011, 15:05   #14
BANNED

Re: Noise from Idler bearing... WagonR 2006 this time

Looking for some help as I'm really frustrated trying to diagnose a noise coming from the belt area in my WagonR 2006

There's a kat-kat sound which is really annoying and grows louder as the engine gets warmer. I took it to MASS and they scared the hell out of me that it could be from the engine but later it was found that the noise vanishes when AC belt is removed. It was found that its not the compressor but the idler bearing which is causing the noise. It was replaced and noise was gone and I returned happily. But within a day or 2 the noise returned. I did some R&D and managed to remove the AC belt again and the noise was gone again. Took it to MASS where it was found that its the bearing again after replacing it noise was gone again but only momentarily.

Now I'm not able to figure out if its actually the idler bearing which is going kaput every time or if its something else maybe something bigger

Last edited by akhilesh : 6th September 2011 at 15:09.
Old 6th September 2011, 15:17   #15
BHPian

Re: Noise from Idler bearing...

Compressor Clutch maybe?

Most Viewed