Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2008, 18:16   #1
BHPian

ZING ZING Sound @ SWIFT ZXI Front Left Tyre.

Hi All,
From past 1 week my swift is having some zing zing sound coming from front left tyre. This sound comes only after speed of 30 - 40. I have showed it to showroom guys they said it is a sound from ABS sensor, due to some dust so they cleaned it but still noise is there. After cleaning sensor a service guy went with me for a test drive and he said now he can't hear a sound( i think something is wrong with his sound sensor)

As I'm going to delhi from bangalore in the same car so I don't want anything as showstopper.My car has done 4700 kms and 2nd servidce is due next week.
Please let me know what can be the cause so that I can iron it out at my 2nd service.

Some of my observations are:

1) Sound is very less and audible only on the empty stretch or in the night.
2) It sound like some metal is rubbing against metal.
3) Sometimes it's not continous.
4) At the time of breaking this continous sounds also breaks.

P.S : I asked service station guy that whether this sound can be because of bearings , but he said NO.
Old 9th September 2008, 18:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Inspect your tyre for any stones, metal bit stuck to the thread, if possible jack up and turn each wheel and see if something is rubbing or jamming.
Old 9th September 2008, 18:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Jack it up and rotate the tyre by hand to try to see if it is still audible.

Try giving it a visual inspection

Remove the wheel and then try again.

Take help from a local garage to locate the problem only.

On first glance it does look like a bearing problem, usually there are 2 bearing in each wheel.
Old 9th September 2008, 19:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

do you have rubber mud flaps? My Indigo has it and one of the plastic buckles had come off and it was rubbing with the tyre in tight turns. Check it...
Old 9th September 2008, 21:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
do you have rubber mud flaps? My Indigo has it and one of the plastic buckles had come off and it was rubbing with the tyre in tight turns. Check it...
Hi svsantosh,

Mine has Plastic mudflaps and have checked it. Seems no problem there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Jack it up and rotate the tyre by hand to try to see if it is still audible.

Try giving it a visual inspection

Remove the wheel and then try again.

Take help from a local garage to locate the problem only.

On first glance it does look like a bearing problem, usually there are 2 bearing in each wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Inspect your tyre for any stones, metal bit stuck to the thread, if possible jack up and turn each wheel and see if something is rubbing or jamming.

Hello Bhpians,

Tried jacking it up but no luck with sound as it comes only after speed of 30-40.No stones either
Old 9th September 2008, 23:03   #6
BHPian

for me this sound was a worn out break pad. It was rubbing against the Disc and making the noise.
Old 9th September 2008, 23:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug View Post
Hi All,
From past 1 week my swift is having some zing zing sound coming from front left tyre. This sound comes only after speed of 30 - 40. I have showed it to showroom guys they said it is a sound from ABS sensor, due to some dust so they cleaned it but still noise is there. After cleaning sensor a service guy went with me for a test drive and he said now he can't hear a sound( i think something is wrong with his sound sensor)

Some of my observations are:

1) Sound is very less and audible only on the empty stretch or in the night.
2) It sound like some metal is rubbing against metal.
3) Sometimes it's not continous.
4) At the time of breaking this continous sounds also breaks.

P.S : I asked service station guy that whether this sound can be because of bearings , but he said NO.

I think the brakes are the culprit here.

I had the EXACT same problem - they found that the brake pads had 'cracked' and was scrubbing against the disc - apparently had gouged it to some extent. The replaced the pads and had the disc sent to the lathe.

All's well now.

Last edited by kb100 : 9th September 2008 at 23:10.
Old 9th September 2008, 23:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Also there is a plate guarding the brake disc,its semi circular, if that plate is hit hard with a stone it bends and touches the brake disc,check that out.
Old 10th September 2008, 06:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Also there is a plate guarding the brake disc,its semi circular, if that plate is hit hard with a stone it bends and touches the brake disc,check that out.
Initially I aslo thought this might be the reason. Will surely check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post

I think the brakes are the culprit here.

I had the EXACT same problem - they found that the brake pads had 'cracked' and was scrubbing against the disc - apparently had gouged it to some extent. The replaced the pads and had the disc sent to the lathe.

All's well now.
Thanks,
Will get it checked . Was there any lag in your braking with the 'Cracked Pad'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
for me this sound was a worn out break pad. It was rubbing against the Disc and making the noise.
Don't think this might be a reason because my car has done only 4700 kms. Will get it checked though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10th September 2008, 08:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug View Post
Don't think this might be a reason because my car has done only 4700 kms. Will get it checked though. Thanks for the suggestion.
When I said worn out pad, I meant a damaged pad. Like Kb100 said it might be broke as well, but the chances are of the metal rubbing against the metal of the disc. I have an Esteem and it costed me Rs.850 to get the work done at a local workshop.
Old 10th September 2008, 23:50   #11
BHPian

I had a similar problem with my Swift ZXi. Though they couldn't quite figure out what the problem was, they did their diagnosis well finally and nailed down the issue to a dirty ABS sensor. Once cleaned, the car was just fine.
Old 19th September 2008, 17:15   #12
BHPian

Zing Zing sound resolved

Hi All,

Thanks for all the valuable suggestions. Well the sound issue is resolved now. I went for the second service in which they found out that actuallly the left Tyre ABS sensor was not working so they changed it under warranty. Now Swift is ready to undertake 5000kms trip next month 24th oct.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks