Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:37   #1
BHPian

Swift needle illumination- need advice

As is seen in the pic, the needle illumination in my 2005 Swift Vxi has gone bad. Its almost impossible to read the fuel guage & temprature guage at night. I showed it to MASS who say that it is beyond repair & the complete meter has to be changed (complete set including speedo, techo etc) They are ready to do this under warranty. Buttttt.... the meters they have in stock are the new ones (with white dials). But I personally love the yellow ones. Now for a few queries:
  1. What will happen to the odo reading if I go for a new one? Will it be reset to zero (something that I dont want). The people at the MASS had mixed view. Some said that it is controlled by the ECM & hence the reading will be restored. Others say that its the ROM in the meter itself that stores the ODO reading.
  2. A local mechanic in Noida says that he cah repair the same by changing the LEDs. Should I go for it considering the fact that he will open the entire dash for this? (may lead to improper fixing and squeaks and rattles in future)
I need a advice on the above two points quickly as my extended warranty dies in a weeks time.. & the entire meter costs 4.5k

Attached Thumbnails
Swift needle illumination- need advice-needle.jpg  

Last edited by akash_m : 22nd September 2008 at 10:49.
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:42   #2
BHPian

Hi Akash,

Go for warranty, if something goes wrong during the mechanic's repair (non MASS/warranty work) Maruti may wash its hands off stating non authorized changes.

Get the new instrument panel, I'm sure it wont look as bad as your present one. Despite the lights being white for the new instrument panels.

Cheers
M M
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Hi Akash,

Go for warranty, if something goes wrong during the mechanic's repair (non MASS/warranty work) Maruti may wash its hands off stating non authorized changes.

Get the new instrument panel, I'm sure it wont look as bad as your present one. Despite the lights being white for the new instrument panels.

Cheers
M M

Thanx, but thats what my query is.. what will happen to the odo reading? Will it be reset to zero in case of a new meter? I dont want that.
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Thanx, but thats what my query is.. what will happen to the odo reading? Will it be reset to zero in case of a new meter? I dont want that.
It happened with my Getz and it was reset to zero. In fact they gave me the certificate or say letter stating that meter was changed with xxxxx reading
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:06   #5
BHPian

brother whatever happens to your Odo, its won't be worth Rs. 4.5 k. I dunno why you have to think twice, its a faulty part, get it changed.
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:12   #6
BHPian

The meter console on my Swift D was changed with about 7k kms on the clock because the highbeam indicator stopped working. Yes, the meter goes back to zero, but a note is made in the service manual and all service records. In fact my service advisor makes it a point to write it on the sticker that records when the service was done and when the next one is due.

Unless you can live with not being able to see the needles, I suggest you get the change done. the odo reading a small issue.
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m
They are ready to do this under warranty.
Then,get it done quick.
I know its a compromise. But, you don't have a choice. do you?
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:28   #8
BHPian

put some pressure and maybe they can arrange for the one you want from somewhere...nothing is impossible here!!!

or try some other place...
Old 24th September 2008, 19:55   #9
BHPian

Yeah some other authorised maruti service station would have the one that you need. Get it changed under warranty. Also get it in writing from them that your car had done this much amount of reading while replacing the odo but i guess that shouldnt be a problem as it would appear on the job card and the service receipt that you get, but just confirm it. It will help you in case of reselling your car.

Last edited by tush : 24th September 2008 at 19:58.
Old 24th September 2008, 21:01   #10
BHPian

I don't know if its common practice in India, but in the UK, there were services offered on "odometer reading corrections".

Its basically a hand held unit that hooks up to the ECU or digital meter and the settings are entered. This is mostly practiced in the second hand car market and was a common advertisement in such magazines.Reasons for using this unit are best left untold. Every car could and can be corrected using these devices.

In your case, maybe this could be used to serve the genuine purpose.I'll be surprised if Car Manufacturers do not own such devices.

Do some detective work at Maruti if they have Odometer/Ecu testing equipment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks