Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:00   #1
BHPian

Underbody dent - Please suggest.

Hi Guys,

I'm not a very technical person in terms of a car. However, I hope that experienced people in this community can understand what the problem is and probably suggest a nice solution.

I have a Maruti Alto Lxi, 2007 model. Recently the front underbody had a minor accident due to a large manhole cover and it hit the underside right in the middle of the front two tyres. To point out exactly, it is the area exactly below the number plate, a little towards the inside.

However, the speed of the car at the time of impact was hardly 5km/hr, as I was just moving the car from stationary position. Later when I checked the underside, there is metal pipe (don't know the technical term) that travels from the engine in the bonnet to somewhere in the rear side of the car. This metal pipe suffered a dent, like as if a line drawn, which is around 1-2 inches in length, and some scratches.

I checked for other things but as of now there are no leakages anywhere in the underside.

My query is that is whether the dent that is formed will in someway deteriorate and form a hole in the pipe in the near future?

What will be the impact of that?

What is the best possible solution for it right now?

Should i continue without bothering much unless i notice some leakage or should I get it fixed by the authorized service center?

I know it is a long and detailed question. Sorry for the inconvenience caused due to my lack of technical knowledge. Can someone please suggest what should I do?

Thanks so much for your time!
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Could you get a snap and post it, with high lightening the area, please. If you are referring to exhaust/cat con pipe, unless a leak has occurred you dont have to bother.
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:13   #3
BHPian

As jaggu said, you may not need to worry unless there is a leak.
First thing, park the car in a clean place overnight, and next day morning, check if there is any kind of leak.
If there is leak, touch and see if it is oil or something else.

Before you park it in clean place for inspection, make sure you are not running AC since there can be water from condenser.

Also post some pictures.
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:53   #4
BHPian

I will certainly post the pics tomorrow morning!

Thank you so much Jaggu and Sri.

I will certainly paste the pics tomorrow. Today morning i inspected our parking, which is very clean usually, and it was quite clear, without any sign of leakages. So I believe there are no leakages. However, as per both of your requests I will post a clear picture tomorrow. Hopefully that will help everyone who has a suggestion.

Thanks once again to both of you.
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:28   #5
BHPian

I agree with other two...it seems to be silencer pipe and unless there is a leak, no need to worry about.
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:18   #6
BHPian

Here are the pics.

Hi Guys,

As promised, here are the pics of where the dent is. I'm also posting the pics of the ground beneath the car coz i didn't find any leakages and I hope I'm not missing something.

So here they are.

Underbody dent - Please suggest.-dsc01990.jpg

Underbody dent - Please suggest.-dsc01991.jpg

Underbody dent - Please suggest.-dsc01992.jpg

Underbody dent - Please suggest.-dsc01993.jpg

Underbody dent - Please suggest.-dsc01995.jpg

Also please let me know what this pipe does so that I can get some technical knowledge too. Thanks so much for the help guys.
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:53   #7
BHPian

Thats your exhaust pipe. As long as there are no leakages no problems.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

It is your exhaust pipe.

As Jaggu mentioned, if no leak, then all fine.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:01   #9
Team-BHP Support

exhaust pipe, dented and i dont see any leakage or any issues. You can safely ignore the issue. Maybe a good idea to inspect the car at garage, to see if the the engine/gear mounts are fine after the impact, not immediate but maybe when you get time or atleast by next service.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:27   #10
BHPian

Looking at the picture, there is no issue with the exhaust pipe.

However, ensure that you don't get hit in the same place again as it can make the exhaust pipe vulnerable for further damage. In case you notice and leaks (oil droppings or change in sound), please take it to the garage and they would weld the same.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:28   #11
BHPian

forget about it dude !! Take the babe out for a spin, and relax.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
forget about it dude !! Take the babe out for a spin, and relax.
I think no t sure if it has a hole then FE also reduces. Not sure it happened with my santro and they welded it with the stated reason when i complained about low FE.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Hi Guys,

Later when I checked the underside, there is metal pipe (don't know the technical term) that travels from the engine in the bonnet to somewhere in the rear side of the car. This metal pipe suffered a dent, like as if a line drawn, which is around 1-2 inches in length, and some scratches.
From your description I assume that it is the exhaust pipe got the hit. As far as there is no big bend in exhaust pipe which can block the flow of exhaust there is no problem. You have have to check the pipe for leakage when the engine is idling. If there is no leakage no need to worry as most of the cars in Indian road will have scraps in exhaust pipe.
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:12   #14
Team-BHP Support

If you have noticed there is a small scar on the gear box also (white discoloration, bottom right corner of last pic) again its a non issue.
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:41   #15
BHPian

Thank you everyone!

Hi TBHPians,

Thank you so much for your valuable advice.

rohan_fonseca & HappyWheels- Thank you both for your feedback.

Jaggu - Great observation. Yeah i see the scratches there too on the gear box (as you have indicated). I should be careful that these places don't get hurt again.

muralisk - Yes, you are absolutely right in saying that I should ensure that these areas don't get hit again, that depends on how careful I am and on a little bit of luck too.

Shashank.A - Thanks for the reassuring words.

aka_iitd - Are you saying that if there is hole then it will affect FE? But if there is a whole, won't there be a leakage of some sort, either of engine oil or something else?

HotChillyPepper - Sure I will also check when the engine is idling.

Thanks once again to everyone for the useful suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks