Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2005, 15:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Questions and answers...

I've been thinking about a few things, and I can't figure them out, so I'm putting the questions to you, fellow TBHPians, for some answers...

1. Why doesn't a cold air induction kit start on the hood? Wouldn't it be easier to make a hood scoop and have the filter/pipe rest there, than near the air-dam and run the risk of water?

2. Why should ABS take longer to stop on dusty roads (I don't think it's true)?

3. If 93 or 95 RON makes the engine sound smoother, shouldn't it run that much quicker?

Got quite a few of these running around in my head. Will add them as and when they crop up.

Cheers

Viper
Old 27th March 2005, 15:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Why should ABS take longer to stop on dusty roads (I don't think it's true)?
Actually it's the other way around. ABS should reduce stopping distance on slippery surfaces. Max traction is only available when there is maximum braking force without wheel lockup.

Ofcourse, there are chances that you might come across a car with ABS, which is beaten by a another non ABS car, in terms of stopping distance. That's bcoz braking depends on many other factors like tyre width, tyer compound, tyre and surface temperature, weight of the vehicle etc, i think weight transfer (under braking) can also be added to the list.

ABS, does not necessarily stop your car before you hit the on coming object. It just gives you the freedom to steer your car around it without wheel lockup.

Try this page for more info on ABS.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 27th March 2005 at 16:00.
Old 27th March 2005, 16:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. If 93 or 95 RON makes the engine sound smoother, shouldn't it run that much quicker?
You will only see significant changes in engine refinement if your car wasn't meant to be run on 87 octane.

Between 87 and 91 octane, i do find some improvement but between 91 and 93 octane, there's no diff, which can be pointed out, on my car atleast.

Higher the octane, higher the potential energy possesed by the fuel but, tapping that energy requires a higher compression ratio, unless your car has enuf compression to extract every bit of energy from 93 octane, you shouldn't see any diff in performance.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 27th March 2005 at 16:38.
Old 27th March 2005, 17:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Why doesn't a cold air induction kit start on the hood? Wouldn't it be easier to make a hood scoop and have the filter/pipe rest there, than near the air-dam and run the risk of water?
That is the same reason why scoops arent used. Protection from rains.

Drifter
Old 27th March 2005, 21:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

a cold air induction kit is pretty much in the engine bay. it is just that an air box is not used and it is at the air dam.
yes it does get dirty faster than a stock unit but prople who use this are more performance oriented and do not mind the extra cleaning/maintenance required.
Old 27th March 2005, 21:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

also if something is running smoother does not make it quicker. its just that it is "well fed"
as long as the engine is runing at its optimum putting in higher octane fuel wont make it "faster" but an engine which requires higher octane but was using lower octane and u have recently switched to higher will be quicker and have better overall efficiency.
Old 27th March 2005, 21:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info.

@ drifter... you can design a scoop with a leading upper lip or hood which would minimize rain entry and yet be away from the airdam or any road dirt.

@iceman...i switched from 91 to 93 in my stock baleno, and while i haven't checked figures, it certainly feels smoother. my point is, if it is smoother, it burns better, and thus energy released must be greater.

@shantanu...in another post, some members had mentioned that in some cases, ABS takes longer to stop than normal brakes, these cases being dusty roads etc. I wasn't convinced, and what you said is basically what i've thought all along. thanks for the confirm.

iceman, which vtec did you smoke now?!
Old 27th March 2005, 22:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my point is, if it is smoother, it burns better, and thus energy released must be greater.
Yes, there could be a slight increase in power due to the nature of 93 octane, compared to 91 but, i don't think the diff in power would be enuf to see any commendable improvement in performance.

Shan2nu
Old 27th March 2005, 22:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

I always thought the hoodscoop is a better idea than placing the filter near the airdam. But then also ... either ways...you have to be more careful.

By the way iceman....just love your signature.

Drifter
Old 28th March 2005, 11:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
...in another post, some members had mentioned that in some cases, ABS takes longer to stop than normal brakes, these cases being dusty roads etc. I wasn't convinced, and what you said is basically what i've thought all along. thanks for the confirm.
Hey V1p3r,

It IS true that non-ABS cars brake faster than ABS equipped cars in certain conditions. ie sand/dust/snow.

The advantage non-ABS has in these conditions is the fact that when the wheels lock up -
  • They dig through the loose top layer
  • They cause a berm of mud/snow in front of the tire
...which helps a lot in slowing down the car.

If you ever stand at a stop sign on a snowy day(hehe..yeah..goodluck), you will see cars approaching and slowing down, and just when they are about to reach a standstil the ABS lets off the brake pressure coz the wheels are locked and the car jumps a 6-12" forward, and this happens 2-3times before the car comes to a stop.

In the end its very specific to conditions and driving styles, as well as quality and type of ABS system.
However, i just wanted to explain this aspect to you, hope you see how it makes sense now?

Quote:
Yes, ie if you upgrade from a lower than specified octane for your engine to the specified octane fuel for your engine.
According to me, there will be less pre-ignition/detonation; hence = smoother / more power.
And the ECU will not retard the ignition timing to prevent pre-ignition; = more power.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th March 2005 at 11:52.
Old 28th March 2005, 12:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It IS true that non-ABS cars brake faster than ABS equipped cars in certain conditions. ie sand/dust/snow.

The advantage non-ABS has in these conditions is the fact that when the wheels lock up -
They dig through the loose top layer
They cause a berm of mud/snow in front of the tire
...which helps a lot in slowing down the car.
Yes, that's true but, it also depends on how dusty the road is. A well laid tarmac with a thin layer of dust wont do any good.

Shan2nu
Old 28th March 2005, 21:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

thanks drifter...now i am going on to the OTHER side....RHCP...awesome song.
Old 29th March 2005, 08:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
I
By the way iceman....just love your signature.

Drifter
I don't think Shan2unu will be on talking terms with you now !
Old 29th March 2005, 09:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

haha..its all in good fun. i dont think he will mind. what say shantanu?
Old 29th March 2005, 11:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
haha..its all in good fun. i dont think he will mind. what say shantanu?
Doesn't bother me. Maybe bcoz even i know that his tuned Baleno is capable of beating a stock Vtec.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks