Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 17:25   #1
BHPian

Axle and Clutch of Esteem

Hey Guys,

There is crackling sound coming from under the car. The Sound primarily comes when its a single person driving it. If there is a passenger on the front seat, then the sound goes down drastically.

Its been quite some time its making the noise, and last time I showed it to a mechanic, he said the problem was with axle. He said that the same axle can be 'fixed' and the expense would be around Rs.1k, whereas if I have to get it replaces then around Rs.4k. Have not got it done yet, because have not been driving the car a lot (Esteem 97). But now I would like to get it fixed.

So what is the 'jugaad' that can be done, is it reliable ? and what is your estimate for parts for this job ?

Secondly, as most of the members know that I have a worn out clutch. Planning to get it changed as well, what are the technicalities involved in that ? expense estimate, what all needs to be changed etc.
Old 10th October 2008, 23:54   #2
BHPian

Ball bearing which is in the rod which moves the wheel (donno tech name, is it axle?) can be worn out. In mechanic local language there is a part called "chilum) which looks like hookah chilum indeed and the bearing which I am talking is inside chilum. It is adviced to change ball bearing of both sides as they don't cost much (Rs.150 i think) and two packs of grease which are filled with bearing.
Old 11th October 2008, 01:19   #3
BHPian

Hashim Bhai, if the bearing was worn out, then I guess it will make continuous sound, but the noise is not continuous. It comes more often at taking turns.
Old 11th October 2008, 01:51   #4
BHPian

Get the Drive shafts and axle replaced, and you are all set to go!
Advicable to change the ball joints too.
Old 11th October 2008, 09:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Hashim Bhai, if the bearing was worn out, then I guess it will make continuous sound, but the noise is not continuous. It comes more often at taking turns.
Yes those ball bearings are quite rugged and don't get damaged easily. But if you look at them, they are in a movable join (wheel turning) so they can make noice when you turn car.
Old 11th October 2008, 21:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

CV joints of driveshaft. it has a unique bearing. it can be change at around Rs.300+100 labour. But I will not suggest it. Its just a workaround for say 2 months.
do the following
take it to open field. drive it in circles, right or left. See if the sound comes constantly. if then its definitely drive shaft.

Axle and Clutch of Esteem-driveshaftaxle.jpg
Old 11th October 2008, 22:44   #7
BHPian

thanks Siralec, its the drive shaft for sure. I can tell it without doing what you suggested.

what should be the approx cost for changing the drive shaft ?

Secondly, as Siralec said, changing the bearing will get it around for 2 months ? so do you thing, if the shaft is gone, then also it will be good for 2 months, I mean, it will make no noise and it should be reliable. because I am hardly driving this car these days and I am quite short on cash. :(

Last edited by Shashank.A : 11th October 2008 at 22:47.
Old 11th October 2008, 22:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

The bearing in some pre-1999 esteem are said to need early replacement becasue they emit some sound specially while turning or going over pothole. As your esteem is 1997, IMO, if you are a bit short on cash, just replace these bearing and see the results.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 11th October 2008 at 23:00.
Old 12th October 2008, 13:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Shashank, by now you should've understood the problem. When a single person is driving, that is you, then all the weight shift to the RHS and the car groans.

If there is a passenger on the front seat then it somewhat counterbalances the weight and sound reduces...Simple..

The jugaad is to cut down on weight (not so easy), and is reliable as long as you don't pass a foodie joint or attend TBHP meets....ha ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Hey Guys,

There is crackling sound coming from under the car. The Sound primarily comes when its a single person driving it. If there is a passenger on the front seat, then the sound goes down drastically.

So what is the 'jugaad' that can be done, is it reliable ? and what is your estimate for parts for this job ?
Old 12th October 2008, 15:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Shashank, by now you should've understood the problem. When a single person is driving, that is you, then all the weight shift to the RHS and the car groans.

If there is a passenger on the front seat then it somewhat counterbalances the weight and sound reduces...Simple..

The jugaad is to cut down on weight (not so easy), and is reliable as long as you don't pass a foodie joint or attend TBHP meets....ha ha ha
Totally agree with you Sir. I was about to post a similar comment!!

As far as the clutch is concerned, dont worry about the tecnicalities since you would'nt be doing it yourself. The clutch would include clutch plate, pressure plates, clutch release bearings and the clutch is dry typeif that helps, and you would be better off with MGP and getting it done at MASS i believe unless you dont plan to use the esteem much and a local clutch would suffice.
Old 12th October 2008, 15:33   #11
BHPian

Abhik, in another thread, people are recommending Valeo and Ceekay. Does anyone have Idea about local setup ? I mean what is the cost difference, and would it be reliable for 10-20k km.

This car is almost 12 years old now, and have not done 50k km yet. Out of that 15k was done in first eight months of this year. But now again I have not even used it for 300 km in last couple of months. So there is no point in investing big bucks right now. But again, even if I go for Jugaad, it should be good for sometime.

Anyhow, talking about shaft, excpet for the bearing or the entire setup, what else can be fixed in it ?
Old 15th October 2008, 01:29   #12
BHPian

Bump !!

Hey guys, I have to get this fixed before weekend.

yaar, keep the thoughts flowing in.
Old 15th January 2009, 21:06   #13
BHPian

shashank, Did you get the noise rectified?

My mechanic pointed out the drive shaft as the replacement as me too face the same problem. This sound comes from the left & not on the drivers side. Each drive shaft will cost you 3k to replace.

I got to get a second opinion on this. Guys if I post few pictures (if possible), would you be able to identify the problem.

Would appreciate your help on this

cheers:
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:57   #14
BHPian

Yes, I got them changed then itself. After changing the Axles, the overall feeling of the car also improved. Might be a mind thing, but I felt the car was lot more smooth and swift.
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

I required a change of the drive shafts (the CV joints do give way) and also changed the clutch at around 52,000km. The drive shafts were starting to get noisy while the had probably another 10,000km in it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks