Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 12:55   #1
BHPian

Whistling Outside Rear View Mirror

While passing through the L&T bye-pass in Coimbatore, we started hearing a strange, but rough whistling sound. It happened only at portions of the bye-pass which were very windy and when we were driving 100-110 kmph or more.

Hearing that sound at speeds was very scary. We thought something is wrong with the car. We pulled over and looked around. Started again, and the sound re-appeared.

Then, it suddenly clicked to me that the ORVM must be causing this while wind is blowing around it, at high speeds. I closed the mirror and the sound stopped. This was in May this year.

When we passed that stretch last week I intentionally left the ORVMs open and whistling re-appeared.

Did any of you guys have a similar experience?

Regards
Rex
Old 13th October 2008, 12:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

What were you wearing at the time you heard the whistling outside?
Old 13th October 2008, 13:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
What were you wearing at the time you heard the whistling outside?
...apart from the seat belt?

Old 13th October 2008, 13:15   #4
BHPian

The whistling phenomenon occurs mostly in those mirrors which have a slit for aero dynamics. I hope you understand what I want to say. It has to happen at high speed. This can be explained with the noise of a whip when lashed quickly.
Old 13th October 2008, 13:27   #5
BHPian

@rex

I've had experience with a similar kind of noise (its not so high pitch'd to call it whistling ) in my bro's Wagon R.
Speed around 90 and it was really windy outside (gusts of wind in mean cross winds). I'm not sure if it happens in less windy conditions because I don't dare not to drive a Wagon R any faster than 100.

Never seen/heard this in any other cars I've driven.
Wagon R as you know is a brick shaped car with brick like mirrors.

CBE L&T byepass is pretty windy so it might be that.
From your garage I guess it was the car was your Accent 1.6L ?

@Sam Kapasi, Torqy

Jokers before you ask, I was wearing a white T-shirt and Blue jeans + a Seat belt and the road was empty (no vehicles, people)
So it was the wind+brick mirror combination after all
Old 13th October 2008, 15:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_is_here View Post
The whistling phenomenon occurs mostly in those mirrors which have a slit for aero dynamics. I hope you understand what I want to say. It has to happen at high speed. This can be explained with the noise of a whip when lashed quickly.
that is because of the aerodynamics. if it was a flat mirror, it wouldnt make so much sound. as it would directly hinder the air flow. The mirror with grooves helps the air to pass, but at the same time it also provides a bit of resistance which makes that sound..
whip in the air is a great example of it. compare the sound made by a whip (while traveling in the air) to a book falling
Old 13th October 2008, 15:26   #7
BHPian

@Sam

I was wearing a RUGGERS cargo and a Hardwear Golf shirt, apart from the seat belt. Hope that suffice/helps :-)

@yzfrj

Yes, I was driving my Accent.
Old 13th October 2008, 20:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
@Sam

I was wearing a RUGGERS cargo and a Hardwear Golf shirt, apart from the seat belt. Hope that suffice/helps :-)

@yzfrj

Yes, I was driving my Accent.
Hi Rex,

This thread immediately caught my interest because you seem to have come across a peculiar issue that I had a hard time solving in my Accent as well , only difference being that the whistling sound in my Car would start soon after crossing 80/90 kms speed unlike in your car .

The sound would stop though if the Mirror was retracted which would surely mean that the mirror was the culprit here but was not the case for me.

I got the car checked at Sharayu Hyundai Vashi and they had no joy narrowing down on the issue during the first attempt.

During the second attempt I told them that they had to find the problem come what may as it just didnt make sense by saying that the issue could not be resolved that too when nothing was changed or damaged ....everything was working/running just fine until the whistling noise...which was more irritating then alarming. Finally a couple of technicians took my issue up as a challenge and started working on it.

The below mentioned were the things carried out.

1. Changed the rubber bidding where the front driver side door touches the Car body thinking that it may have worn out causing air seepage...NO luck same issue.

2. Changed the rubber lining that runs around the entire door .....NO luck same issue.

3. Changed the Right side Rear view mirror ......NO Luck same issue

4. Changed the Weather Strip on the right side drivers door ...NO Luck same issue.

PS: By now Iam scratching my head as well......

5. Opened up the right side Fender and checked whether it was fitting properly to the Car body...No Luck same issue.

6. Opened up the Door as well and checked for loose gaps etc etc ..NO Luck same issue.

7. Finally ( I thought it was Crazy ) replaced the door itself and the SOUND STOPPED ....hmmmmmmmmmm.

So that finally meant and they also mentioned that my actual door was misaligned.

They got the door aligned once more and fitted the actual door back ...

Took a test drive after this and found that the ISSUE WAS RESOLVED.

So Finally Rex in my case the door got misaligned and was realigned once more and the issue was resolved.

Al the parts that were replaced by Hyundai during the testing phase were returned back to Hyundai.

Cheers,

Peter.
Old 14th October 2008, 10:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
During the second attempt I told them that they had to find the problem come what may as it just didnt make sense by saying that the issue could not be resolved that too when nothing was changed or damaged
Finally a couple of technicians took my issue up as a challenge and started working on it.
7. Finally ( I thought it was Crazy ) replaced the door itself and the SOUND STOPPED ....hmmm.
Wow Peter ! Kudos to both you as well as the guys who took up such an innocuous issue like this & resolved it in the end Usually a problem like this is dismissed with a shrug of the shoulders & a couple of nods of the head !

Couldn't help but be reminded of the Pontiac-Vanilla-IceCream story on reading your account. So what caused the door to be misaligned in the first place ? Once again, your post made a great read...

Last edited by im_srini : 14th October 2008 at 10:58.
Old 14th October 2008, 13:50   #10
BHPian

Couldn't help but be reminded of the Pontiac-Vanilla-IceCream story on reading your account. So what caused the door to be misaligned in the first place ? Once again, your post made a great read...[/quote]

Thanks Srini,

The technicians said that the constant opening/closing of the door ...sometimes mishandled..closed very roughly etc causes misalignment ...to be honest I was just surprised/glad that the issue was resolved cause I had to live with that sound for at least a month with no relief at all ..thanked the guys and drove off ...hey btw they just charged me 250Rs for the labour isnt that fantastic......

Have to drive around 40kms a day on almost startight road so the sound was there almost all the time , more like the sound that we hear of the heavy wind in the Hindi horror movies...Iam sure u can imagine now .......one mechanic even told me to tie a Yellow Car wash cloth that can be picked up from any petrol station around the mirror to stop the sound and I was like whaaaaaatttttttttttt.

Yes I do remember the Pontiac-Vanilla-Ice Cream story, it always reminds me that if there is an Issue then there is a Resolution as well.

Cheers Guys,

Peter.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:28   #11
BHPian

I had experienced this weird phenomena at the LHS ORVM of my OHC.

It started off when the original left ORVM was stolen. I got a replacement which was once repaired for free swivel. The strong whistling sound started then, I thought the mirror was fixed ok even though it used to close in an inch or less on highish speeds, so must be wind passing in a particular pattern causing this.

I did realise that the mirror was a bit loose but the fact that it used to stay put after folding in a certain position, I did not understand why the sound? It used to happen at speeds of over 50kmph or on highways even at lower speeds.

Recently, the same ORVM went into a free swivel again, got it repaired and now the sound has disappeared since it fits tight! Does not move an inch at any speed and this has made the irritating whistle sound to vanish.

Thought it'll help to post.
Old 16th October 2008, 11:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Some times this happens if the rubber sealing on the doors are not perfect. This allows the air to come in from the door and it can be confused with the noise from OVRM.
We came to know about this when we were doing 100kmph in Baleno on fantastic Vadodara-A'bad expresshighway.

Also sometimes ( its very very rare ), some air leaks into cabin through the base of a-pillar where the windshield lining starts. This is because of either wear and tear or rough use. Again our Baleno has this problem as it was used for someone's marriage where the car was badly used.
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:38   #13
BHPian

I had the same experience about 3 years back. The road was the same as the one that you mentioned below and the car was Accent 1.6 as well. My bro was driving it and I was on the passenger seat.. Speeds were a bit higher than 110 kmph and we too were horrified since we couldn't for a while figure out where from the noise was coming.. Checked the window glasses if they were all shut properly.. Finally discovered that the left ORVM was the 'culprit'. It was happening only when the car was crossing a specific speed (we tested it by increasing and decreasing the speed).

Quote:
While passing through the L&T bye-pass in Coimbatore, we started hearing a strange, but rough whistling sound. It happened only at portions of the bye-pass which were very windy and when we were driving 100-110 kmph or more.

Hearing that sound at speeds was very scary. We thought something is wrong with the car. We pulled over and looked around. Started again, and the sound re-appeared.

Then, it suddenly clicked to me that the ORVM must be causing this while wind is blowing around it, at high speeds. I closed the mirror and the sound stopped. This was in May this year.

When we passed that stretch last week I intentionally left the ORVMs open and whistling re-appeared.

Regards
Rex
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
Rex
Could be due to the soul of a departed person who reportedly was whistling while driving at close to those speeds in these roads and met with a tragic accident.
the local folk-lore is that this chap's soul still roams around these parts and gives out the same whistling sound whenever some one drives past these stretches at around the same speeds
Trust this clarifies

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks