Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2007, 10:31   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I'd like to know how difficult it is to sown shift to 1st at really slow speeds.
Usually there are a few speedbreakers that one needs to negotiate in 1st gear. While approaching the hump at a really slow speed, many a times the car refuses to slot into 1st.
Vid, I push to neutral for a moment and then shift to first when the car is almost dead slow. This helps the plate and flyweel to arrive at almost similar speed.
Of course you cant shift like in a WRC car.....
Old 30th May 2007, 00:09   #77
BHPian

May be off-topic, and may have been answered somewhere else: Is it ok not to use first gear at all - except when really needed, like a start up a ramp or something?

I used to skip the first gear in the scooter and the Yamaha YD125 I used to drive, and carried on the habit to cars. I rarely use first gear - except may be a start up the ramp or when the car is loaded. This gives me a slower start, but there's one less gear shift to do. Is this ok for the car/gear box/FE in the long run?
Old 30th May 2007, 16:19   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetnaz View Post
May be off-topic, and may have been answered somewhere else: Is it ok not to use first gear at all - except when really needed, like a start up a ramp or something?

I used to skip the first gear in the scooter and the Yamaha YD125 I used to drive, and carried on the habit to cars. I rarely use first gear - except may be a start up the ramp or when the car is loaded. This gives me a slower start, but there's one less gear shift to do. Is this ok for the car/gear box/FE in the long run?
Skipping gear 1 is not at all advisable as it puts heavy load (Due to inertia) on the engine. Gear 1 is to overcome inertia of the car, and once the car is in motion switch to gear 2.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetnaz View Post
I used to skip the first gear in the scooter and the Yamaha YD125 I used to drive, and carried on the habit to cars. Is this ok for the car/gear box/FE in the long run?
This is what bus drivers do. They start with 2nd gear. You are likely to wear your clutch faster than normal.
Old 30th May 2007, 22:15   #80
BHPian

Slightly ot but when trying to derieve maximum perfomance from my car for eg. those 0-100 runs I usually shift at rpm at which the car develops maximum power output but some also say that we should shift gears at the rpm at which your car produces max torque.Out of the above which is more appropiate.

Last edited by revvedup : 30th May 2007 at 22:20.
Old 30th May 2007, 23:46   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Slightly ot but when trying to derieve maximum perfomance from my car for eg. those 0-100 runs I usually shift at rpm at which the car develops maximum power output but some also say that we should shift gears at the rpm at which your car produces max torque.Out of the above which is more appropiate.
I think its more appropriate to shift at the rpm at which the car produces the maximum torque.
Old 31st May 2007, 16:33   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think its more appropriate to shift at the rpm at which the car produces the maximum torque.
It's the rpm band between max torque and max power that gives you best performance. Shifting at max torque rpm will not give you any gains.

Shan2nu
Old 31st May 2007, 19:41   #83
BHPian

How can one do this like if the car produces max power at say 6000 rpm and max torque at say 4500 rpm so where should one shift or one should just shift once the car refuses to accerlate more in that gear.
Old 31st May 2007, 19:48   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
It's the rpm band between max torque and max power that gives you best performance. Shifting at max torque rpm will not give you any gains.

Shan2nu
You are right Shantanu. I've put it in a wrong way in my post.
Old 31st May 2007, 21:56   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
How can one do this like if the car produces max power at say 6000 rpm and max torque at say 4500 rpm so where should one shift or one should just shift once the car refuses to accerlate more in that gear.
Shift when u reach 6000 rpm..
Old 16th October 2008, 20:58   #86
BHPian

Ideal Gear Shifts

I'm not sure whether this topic has already been discussed, so mods, delete if so and point me towards the right thread

The query is simple. How do you determine the ideal gear shift pattern on the car you're driving. Of course, i refer to performance driving, where economy is NOT the prime consideration.

I assume it is foolish to assume red lining is not the best rpm level to shift up?

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th October 2008 at 21:45. Reason: Search
Old 16th October 2008, 23:04   #87
BHPian

When I am driving alone on good road in my M1000 and not in mood to rev high, I just shift from 2nd gear (25-30kmph) to 5th gear (call me lazy) and car go smooth without any knocking! I can even turn in 5th gear if I maintain speed while turning. However this is just for good with not much traffic (inside my campus roads).
Old 17th October 2008, 00:53   #88
Senior - BHPian

@ hashim
dude your car sure has the carb set for higher rpm than normal!!
Old 17th October 2008, 09:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
When I am driving alone on good road in my M1000 and not in mood to rev high, I just shift from 2nd gear (25-30kmph) to 5th gear (call me lazy) and car go smooth without any knocking! I can even turn in 5th gear if I maintain speed while turning. However this is just for good with not much traffic (inside my campus roads).

By doing this you are consuming more fuel. Try shifting the gears at 2500-3000 rpm band and see the difference. Also get your carb tuned to a lesser idle RPM level (If it is high).

In addition to low FE driving in higher gears means lesser control over the car. So you need to be careful in that aspect.
Old 17th October 2008, 13:51   #90
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
By doing this you are consuming more fuel. Try shifting the gears at 2500-3000 rpm band and see the difference.
Actually, you can shift lower (say <2000 rpms) in a petrol if FE is what you are looking for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks