Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2008, 14:17   #1
BHPian

Alternator Replacement in A/c .Santro Xing

Hi,

Looking for a quick advice on thjis one.

The a/c in my santro stopped giving out cool air. Just the normal warm air. I suspected a gas leakage and took it to an *** in Patna. The guy called back and said that two of the alternators need to be replaced . Cost over 3k.
Since Hyundai *** in Patna have a History of being cheats, Could somebody advise if I am being cheated.
Old 26th October 2008, 20:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

I didn't know that the Santro had two alternators. Somebody update me please. And if the AC is not giving cool air, what has an alternator or two of them, got to do?

Please check if the belt has snapped. If so, then the AC compressor may not be engaging hence the warm air. Is the battery icon on the dashboard lighting after the engine is fired? Then for sure the belt has snapped or the alternator (s) must have conked off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentos View Post
Hi,

The a/c in my santro stopped giving out cool air. Just the normal warm air. I suspected a gas leakage and took it to an *** in Patna. The guy called back and said that two of the alternators need to be replaced . Cost over 3k.
Since Hyundai *** in Patna have a History of being cheats, Could somebody advise if I am being cheated.
Old 26th October 2008, 20:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentos View Post
Hi,

Rofl @ 2 alternators.Either u got him wrong or he is playing with you.Santro has a single alternator.
And 3 k for a santro alternator from a Authorised service station sounds too good to be true.Call him and confirm again what he exactly means!
Old 26th October 2008, 23:23   #4
BHPian

3k for an alternator is not right. It has to be much more expensive.
Old 27th October 2008, 14:23   #5
BHPian

is the fan working?

go to a non hyundai ac expert and you'll probably find you need to top up AC gas.
Old 27th October 2008, 14:31   #6
BHPian

I second most of the opinions expressed before mine. The best thing would be to go to some other workshop for a second opinion. In fact most of the cities do have specialized a/c workshops who are known to do a good job at far lesser rates than the Authorized service stations. Ask around in your circle of friends or with some Drivers of tourist cabs / mechanics etc for their whereabouts and take your car to them.
Old 27th October 2008, 21:34   #7
BHPian

The Service Centre guy called up to tell me that some magnetic coil needs to be replaced along with ONE alternator. The magnetic coil,however, is out of stock so I will have to wait... There is only one Hyundai A.S.S. in Patna :(

I feel like I am being taken for a ride, but here we don't have many options.
Old 28th October 2008, 08:57   #8
BHPian

go to a local mechanic and atleast get it diagnosed. You will be armed with a second opinion and would be in a better position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks