Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 19:29   #1
BHPian

2 Nylon + 2 Radial Tyres, OK?

Is it ok to have 2 Nylon tyres in front and 2 radial tyres in rear?

Radial tyres have little more diameter than the Nylon tyres.

Please help.
Old 29th October 2008, 20:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

The "experts" say no. But I run with 2 radials on front and non-radials on the rear and it works okay on my Tata Spacio. I think you need to test it for yourself on your vehicle and see what you think. Take it out and do some flick moves, fast lane changes, first at low speed and then increase speed a little and repeat the test. Be prepared for strange handling. It's the emergency situations, quick moves that might take you by surprise, not everyday driving. So, go test it so you are not surprised. Test it in controlled conditions.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 29th October 2008 at 20:13.
Old 30th October 2008, 03:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

What car & what tyre sizes are we talking about here?
Old 30th October 2008, 06:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
What car & what tyre sizes are we talking about here?
Ishan, I think he's talking about his M800.
Old 30th October 2008, 06:52   #5
BHPian

Yes, it's M800 and Radial tyres size 145/70R/12
Old 30th October 2008, 07:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEraser View Post
Is it ok to have 2 Nylon tyres in front and 2 radial tyres in rear?

Radial tyres have little more diameter than the Nylon tyres.
On a 2WD car this should not matter from a technical POV; ie no damage will result. Handling is likely to change a bit.
On a 4WD this would be a big no no!
Old 30th October 2008, 08:03   #7
BHPian

Update:
Nylon tyre size is 5.65 - 12, 4 PLY Rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The "experts" say no. But I run with 2 radials on front and non-radials on the rear and it works okay on my Tata Spacio. I think you need to test it for yourself on your vehicle and see what you think. Take it out and do some flick moves, fast lane changes, first at low speed and then increase speed a little and repeat the test. Be prepared for strange handling. It's the emergency situations, quick moves that might take you by surprise, not everyday driving. So, go test it so you are not surprised. Test it in controlled conditions.
Thanks DD for detailed reply.

In initial run after installing new tyres, I don't feel uncomfortable. But it's just 15km Mumbai drive . Today I will test it in Mumbai city (Mira Road to Dadar and back) and then on 1st Nov outside Mumbai (150+ km).

My main concern is about new tyres. I have stepney for my old tyre but what can I do (just in case) if my new tyre burst? Can I use old tyre tube with new tyre as a temporary solution?
Old 30th October 2008, 10:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Have seen many 800s running with both radial & cross ply. Should not be a problem unless you do some enthu driving.
Old 30th October 2008, 13:09   #9

Nylon tyres are softer compared to Radial ones, initially with new set there will be no issues but after a while the suspension will have to take the pain its always better to change all four to one type to compensate the balance.
Old 30th October 2008, 14:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well there'll be a grip difference between both ends (radials will be more grippy, nylon less so) so if you're driving with this combo be a little careful while taking turns/curves especially at speeds. Apart from that I don't think there should be any major issue.
Old 30th October 2008, 14:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

I've used my Sumo on nylon for 140,000 kms and tubed radials for 60,000 kms.
The difference in grip is substantial. Nylon's have almost no-grip at all especially braking and the limits of these tyres are approachable real fast.Whereas the radials are good at traction and the limits are quite distant compared to nylons.
Ride comfort is another area where radials excel and the difference from nylons is really significant.

Now, choosing which axle to use the radials on is a dilemma.
The front for better grip for the driven wheels as well as emergency/panic braking.
The rear for avoiding slipping and sliding on wet roads/tyre failure situations.

Personally, I'd use them on the front since there have been many instances where good tyres in the front saved me from bumper+ damage and its very rare that I'd have my rear sliding on city roads too much to cause a crash.
Old 30th October 2008, 18:56   #12
BHPian

Thank you for all inputs.

Today, I did 80+ Km/hr without any problem and with control. I just feel low grip in front (natural effect?) and little unevenness effect as rear tyres has little more height than the front (psychological effect?).

Quote:
Now, choosing which axle to use the radials on is a dilemma.
The front for better grip for the driven wheels as well as emergency/panic braking.
The rear for avoiding slipping and sliding on wet roads/tyre failure situations.
Generally, I don't use emergency/panic braking. I don't drive fast. I generally do 40- 65 km on OK road and OK traffic (mumbai road and traffic). But I don't mind doing 80 -100 km on smooth highway. Till now I touched 100km on Mumbai Nasik highway (Thane to Kalyan turn) with 4 Nylon tyres.

Plus, I read here that new tyres should be on rear so I took the same decision. And I am happy with it

I think it would be nice to have all 4 radial tyres. I like these tyres. But I am planning to sell this car and buy better one soon. So I don't want to spend much.

My main concern is - what if my new tyre gets punchure? Can I use tube from old tyre in new tyre as a temporary solution?
Old 30th October 2008, 19:39   #13
Team-BHP Support

Front wheel drive car put the good tyres on front, since it helps in accelerating, stopping and steering the car. Only downside with cross ply on rear along with radials in front will give you slightly harder steering and maybe some rear stepping out under panic braking.

But yes newer tyre goes to front on a FT wheel drive.

Yes for emergency you can use spare tyre of diff type in the same axle, be cautious and drive slow and straight to a shop where you can attend to the radials. Thats all.
Old 30th October 2008, 19:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Front wheel drive car put the good tyres on front, since it helps in accelerating, stopping and steering the car. Only downside with cross ply on rear along with radials in front will give you slightly harder steering and maybe some rear stepping out under panic braking.

But yes newer tyre goes to front on a FT wheel drive.

Yes for emergency you can use spare tyre of diff type in the same axle, be cautious and drive slow and straight to a shop where you can attend to the radials. Thats all.

But jaggu, I read in good year sites and some wheel balancing sites that the new ones should go to the rear. I did not understand the explanation though. But the Good year guys have put that in the front for me here!!

My friends 800 has radials on the frnt and the normal ones at the back. I was in for a rude shock when I crossed 70kmph in his car. It just swerved to the right and i ended up doing a zigzag on the or ring road before coming to a stop. I scared a few bikers but I was damn scared and dumbstruck for a few moments
Old 30th October 2008, 20:06   #15
Team-BHP Support

Yes lalu it will lose traction at the back faster especially if its worn out bad, also in wet conditions the issues can be compounded. If its worn out to a good extent and if you are a fast driver driving under wet conditions, yes the old tyres better be at the front.

But if you are a sedate driver and dont drive fast in wet its better to have the old tyres at back since it helps in steering and braking better in a front wheel drive car.

I suggested front since dark eraser mentioned he is a very cautious driver doing low speeds otherwise rear anytime.

Also anyday i would prefer changing all 4 tyres, in case of a 800 its just 5k more and this will reflect in the resale of the car also, so worth it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th October 2008 at 20:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks