Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 16:28   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frown View Post
hi techn0l0gist ,

Can you tell me if the price quoted is ok or not. 2005 esteem LXI with leather seats and spoiler , fully loaded basically , getting for 2,90,000 ? is it worth the price ?

and i will try to get the information you are looking for as well.

Amit
Around 2 lacs would be okay - 2.9 lacs is too high IMO, considering i've known balenos that sell for around 2.5 L ! but then I feel bangalore prices are crazy so don't really know.
Old 11th November 2008, 16:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Insane prices,buddy!

There's a 2006 Esteem here in chennai. Quoting 280,000 for it.
Old 11th November 2008, 17:00   #33
BHPian

bangalore prices are always higher than normal >:-[
Old 11th November 2008, 18:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
bangalore prices are always higher than normal >:-[

I checked carwale and according to that it seems to be ok price but if you all feel its insane price tell me what can i do :(, In 2,80,000 as if i will get any other car than esteem anyways .

As technologist said if i can get a car from managlore or something it would be cheaper but thats not possible as i don't know nothing which is even 4 kms away from bangalore.

Considering bangalore prices is esteem 2008 lxi a ok price or not ? If you really think its insane price then probably i would have to drop the idea and sell everything and ride my karizma :P
Old 11th November 2008, 20:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I checked carwale and according to that it seems to be ok price but if you all feel its insane price tell me what can i do :(, In 2,80,000 as if i will get any other car than esteem anyways .
For 2.8L there are a lot of pretty good deals on better cars than the esteem unless you want an esteem for a particular purpose (Rally? ) or to do a mod job.

For 2.8 L i'd look at Palio GTXs/Ds, Wagon-Rs, Alto 1.1s , mpfi Zens, and Balenos

Paying close to 3 L for an esteem is not a very value for money deal IMO.
Old 11th November 2008, 21:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
For 2.8L there are a lot of pretty good deals on better cars than the esteem unless you want an esteem for a particular purpose (Rally? ) or to do a mod job.

For 2.8 L i'd look at Palio GTXs/Ds, Wagon-Rs, Alto 1.1s , mpfi Zens, and Balenos

Paying close to 3 L for an esteem is not a very value for money deal IMO.
baleno was first thing in my mind but baleno costs around 3.5 in bangalore which is again over my budget. :( unless you know a person who can get me esteem in cheaper price than quoted
Old 12th November 2008, 01:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
baleno was first thing in my mind but baleno costs around 3.5 in bangalore which is again over my budget. :( unless you know a person who can get me esteem in cheaper price than quoted
no mate, don't know my way much around bangalore, I guess the cars cost much less when directly bought from an owner than a dealer/agent. hunt around and i'm sure you'd find, might take some patience and waiting though - till then maybe you can do whatever critical repair you need to do on your current esteem .

A better deal maybe to hunt for the early MPFI esteems (2000/2001) i'm sure they'd cost much less.

Anyways when it comes to cars - I believe its a matter of heart over head - if you like some car, and it feels right and you feel the price is right - go for it

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 12th November 2008 at 01:27.
Old 12th November 2008, 09:31   #38
BHPian

Right you are , the chanels definitely goes bad, but in my experience the motor also becomes weak, happened with my esteem and as a electronics engineer working with motors and automation for whole of my life I sure know that the mechanic wasnt duping me. And off course local things work, and price is 1/4, but again, theres always the reliability issue. My esteem is my second car ,1998 VX already done 1.6 L km, w/o touching the engine, Am so convinced with maruti that my second car is a Baleno . Bought it second hand 2005 Jan model done 18k on odo, with original ash color stanley leather upholstry. No physical damage and internals perfect. Price I paid????? 2.7L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
From what I found after taking apart the windows on my car - it's not the motor that goes bad, it's the glass run(or channels) which are made of rubber that get hard.

I keep spraying silicon lubricant spray on the glass run whenever the windows get stuck(need to do this once in a couple of months!).

The original glass run for each window costs somewhere around 800 rupees or so I am told. Are there cheaper local alternatives that work too ? what's the brand and for how much ?
Old 12th November 2008, 18:28   #39
BHPian

Techn0l0gist you are bang on target this time. When the car is right everything seems right . Of course i am confused but now that i have driven a problem prown car i know what i need to look out for of course in general not so much from engine point of view. I probably will get the issue fixed for time being and let go of this esteem lxi . Somehow owner seems desperate and i am not quiet sure why is that ? may be i am paranoid but still.I have asked a friend of mine to loook out for baleno even though it has very very low ground clearence i have only heard good reviews about it .

Lets see what i end up with
amit
Old 12th November 2008, 19:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow owner seems desperate and i am not quiet sure why is that ?
if the car is right, reason could be anything - deprecating resale, wanting a new "latest" model , needing money badly, etc. if the seller is so desperate try quoting a low price - something that you'd like to pay and don't budge, if luck's on your side, you might just shave off a considerable portion off the asking price. Don't show any desperation to be in need of the car, that way you can have the upper hand while bargaining
Old 21st April 2009, 04:00   #41
BHPian

98VX eh? Does your dashboard not rattle on idle? if it does get the engine fixed first....some tuning and fixing here and there...then go for a tyres and suspension fix and leave the paint for now...get that done in the 3rd month! On an esteem the money that you spend is an investment irrespective of the month and make...ya it is a little unsafe at high speeds (with a light body on a heavy car!) I own one and I love it!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks