Team-BHP - Power steering stiff in my Ikon
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Power steering stiff in my Ikon (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/48556-power-steering-stiff-my-ikon.html)

At the Diwali weekend in Mumbai, I was informed by Dad that someday as he was driving back home from work, he notices that the power steering is stiffer than normal.
Immediately he took it to a local mechanic to check if there was a power steering fluid leakage. But there was none or so it seems (I could not locate any oil trace below the car when parked at home and the power steering fluid box almost looked to house some oil)!

I am heading to Mumbai this weekend to get the car for a service and the power steering is one of the items to be done. Any idea what are the other possibilities apart from an oil leakage?

Help appreciated.

Drive it yourself & check whether you echo your father's opinion or not.
Also check when do you feel it to be stiff. Top up power steering fluid to check if it helps. If stiffness is felt at corners, then have your wheels aligned.

Underinflated tyres ?

How old is the car and how many kms has it run?

My old Esteem had issues where the steering had gotten too tight. Asked MASS to service the steering column and the problem went away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 1041588)
How old is the car and how many kms has it run?

My old Esteem had issues where the steering had gotten too tight. Asked MASS to service the steering column and the problem went away.

The car is Mar 2004 make. Run 55k kms till date.

This happened to my Ikon too, it is a common problem with Ikon's. I had to get the whole Power steering unit changed to a new one, Cost me ~ 20k.

Havent heard this happening in Ikons, to be honest. I know three Ikon owners, all of whom are 70k+ kms on their cars, and none of them are facing this issue.
Still... would recommend you take the car to a Ford authorized workshop and have them give you a diagnosis and an estimate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderlustindia (Post 1041764)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp1 (Post 1041827)
This happened to my Ikon too, it is a common problem with Ikon's. I had to get the whole Power steering unit changed to a new one, Cost me ~ 20k.

@bhp1: I have not faced this issue, my ikon is near 60K. I thought ignition coil & fuel bumps are the know issues!

@wanderlustindia: get it check by Ford authorised dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderlustindia (Post 1041764)

@WLI : Did you ddrive the car and check? If you feel the same way as well, check if the tyres are underinflated first. If initial checks dont yield results, get it looked at by the service personnel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp1 (Post 1041827)

Thats bad news for me :(. Anyways, I guess the best option is to take it to Ford A.S.S and get it thoroughly checked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1042519)
@WLI : Did you ddrive the car and check? If you feel the same way as well, check if the tyres are underinflated first. If initial checks dont yield results, get it looked at by the service personnel.

I haven't driven the car and checked. I just started the engine and felt the steering when the car was stationary and I could feel the stiffness.

Get the suspension too checked. If the ends go bad and are jammed then too the steering be stiffer.

By any chance your Dad normally drives a Swift ( or any electrical power steering vehicle)? I used to feel the same when I switch from a Swift to my another friends Ikon. Ikon steering is a bit harder on that vehicle from day one. But I feel that is the reason why the Ikon steerings are so sharp.

Hasn't Ikon got HPS? Please check PS Fluid level.

Please get your fluid topped up and your steering unit greased . m sure this will help, also make sure that the steering wheel is not glazing the plastic behind it as sometimes tat happens (i do not know why ) . Make sure none of the wire are in contact with the steering rod . Hope you solve your problem take care, drive safe .