Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2008, 17:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

As I said earlier, RPM sensor issue does not show up when diagnosed via a computer connected to the ECU. And noone in Pandit Auto was able to figure out what went kaput.
The first time when the issue occured, I was in fifth gear and at the speed of around 60 and it died. I press the accelerator and it still doesn't move. I came to a halt from 60 and then the engine died.
The Computer has to be connected to the ECU when the car refused to start.
My issue was solved by a very good Works Manager with BU Bhandari over a telephonic conversation. He straightaway advised for RPM sensor cleaning, and if it still fails, replacement.

Again, the knocking sound is not coming from where the ECU is located, but the opposite side. It dies considerably once the car is heated. Could it be the timing belt issue? Or something related to the alternator replacement.
Old 17th December 2008, 17:40   #32
BHPian

As i am typing this, the RPM sensor or i think also known as the crank sensor on my Palio has been replaced. Symptoms that persisted are very similar to ones mentioned in this thread. A bit lesser though. Hope this solves the issue.

Will need to run the car for a while to know.
Old 17th December 2008, 17:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
As I said earlier, RPM sensor issue does not show up when diagnosed via a computer connected to the ECU. And noone in Pandit Auto was able to figure out what went kaput.
The first time when the issue occured, I was in fifth gear and at the speed of around 60 and it died. I press the accelerator and it still doesn't move. I came to a halt from 60 and then the engine died.
The Computer has to be connected to the ECU when the car refused to start.
My issue was solved by a very good Works Manager with BU Bhandari over a telephonic conversation. He straightaway advised for RPM sensor cleaning, and if it still fails, replacement.

Again, the knocking sound is not coming from where the ECU is located, but the opposite side. It dies considerably once the car is heated. Could it be the timing belt issue? Or something related to the alternator replacement.
After reading this, I somewhere can relate to my experience too.

After driving for some kms when the car is idle, there are couple of click noise in between. I'm sure there is nothin above the car like twigs somethin falling...since the car starts and moves fine, I've ignored it.

Is it some kind of resetting happening when the car is idle or should i get it checked?
Old 17th December 2008, 17:58   #34

@ Rudrah :- i really wouldnt like to sell the car if at all if their isnt any problem. i would surely try boshc serivce centre could you give me the exact address of this service centre.

PS:- i will try taking a photograph tommorrow and would point out where exactly the clikcing noise coming from, so that with a collective effort we might be able to solve this issue.

cheers,
Rosario
Old 17th December 2008, 18:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Depends. As others have mentioned, the sound may be coming from the side where the ECU is located.
Mine is coming from the other side, and even I have ignored it. Also, when I checked the service records which the previous owner had provided me, this clicking sound issue was brought to notice in the first service itself, so thought that it might not be a problem as such.
Old 17th December 2008, 18:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

@ vinit - are you talking about the khar-khar sound during morning starts? FASS in Kolkata said that it is a common sound in the 1.6s. i re-checked with the Sr. Service Engineer - he said that it is not the idle bearing sound / issue.
Old 17th December 2008, 18:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ vinit - are you talking about the khar-khar sound during morning starts? FASS in Kolkata said that it is a common sound in the 1.6s. i re-checked with the Sr. Service Engineer - he said that it is not the idle bearing sound / issue.
In my case, it sounds like "Tick" in between intervals when the car is idle after a run!
Old 17th December 2008, 19:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

does it happen with the AC is switched ON? how does the car behave after the "click"?
Old 17th December 2008, 19:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
does it happen with the AC is switched ON? how does the car behave after the "click"?
Nope, its when the engine is switched off!

Uhhh sorry if this is Off Topic!
Old 17th December 2008, 19:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post

When the engine is switched off? This is new for me.

@Planet Rocker: The tick tick sound comes right after I start the vehicle, mainly in the morning. Its not like the Khar Khar sound. Typical clicking sound. It dies away once the car is heated.
Old 17th December 2008, 19:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

i get a khar-khar sound during morning starts - it dies down once the car warms up.

what is source of the sound @ rudrah!
Old 18th December 2008, 07:24   #42
BHPian

Metal interface disparity

Quote:

Are you familiar with the tick/click sound that comes due to extremely microscopic slip between the aluminium head and iron head with a copper gasket interface. This is common on all aluminium heads. The varied expansion rates on heating and cooling is reason for this. I am sure you are aware of this since this is common.

The only relay like interface on the left of the 1.6 engine is the 1cm*2cm plastic cylinder that somes in the path of fuel pipe. send the photo and I can confirm.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Are you familiar with the tick/click sound that comes due to extremely microscopic slip between the aluminium head and iron head with a copper gasket interface. This is common on all aluminium heads. The varied expansion rates on heating and cooling is reason for this. I am sure you are aware of this since this is common.

The only relay like interface on the left of the 1.6 engine is the 1cm*2cm plastic cylinder that somes in the path of fuel pipe. send the photo and I can confirm.

Errrr this is Greek to me, Sir!
Old 18th December 2008, 23:49   #44
BHPian

Forget the gibberish we shall go to the problem.

Quote:
Errrr this is Greek to me, Sir!
Forget what I said and tell me the exact place this sound is emanating from. I opened up the bonnet of my GTX and could not find any relay there. There are numerous relays but inside the passanger compartment on the dashboard near the right knee of the driver. I could not find any where you mentioned it.
Please post a few photgraphs.
Old 1st January 2009, 12:08   #45

hi guys,

Had given the car in sundaram motors chennai for the same clicking noise which i was talking about. finally the good news came yesterday not that they had fixed the problem. but had diagnosed what the problem is.

i went to the service floor in sundram motors and the mechanic was saying when he puts the key automatically the compressor is getting swithced on, even though the AC is switched off. he not able to find out whats cuasing this. becuase it happenned only once and after which car was starting normally. so mechanic had said he would try doing a cold start again.

since the compressor switches on when the key is inserted it causing some kind of noise in the car...

hope they will fix this issues guys. i will keep updating you guys. it might be usefull for other palio users in here.

Cheers,
Rosario

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks