Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2008, 14:27   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon : damaged dampers

Hey guys !! Need a bit of help.

My Ford Ikon 1.6 NXT '03 model has clocked about 42000kms till date. Off late i have been noticing a much louder thus going over potholes that what i consider to be normal. This is not to say that for every undulation of bump i drive over, the car is unsettled or noisy, but something sure doesn't seem right.

Last time the car went for regular service i was unable to pick it up personally. My mother, who went to pick up the car was told that the dampers need to be changed and it will cost 10-12K. No specific reason given. They gave the impression that is was OK not to get it changed immediately.

So I took the car to a local mechanic who, in his words said "bush kati hui hai", and in the same breath said that there was no need for an imminent change, "chalate raho".

I was amused, but then not too pleased that something is wrong with the dampers. Strikes me as unusual that there should be any problem with the dampers after just 42000kms.

Now anyways, im going to take the car to FORD in a few days but just wanted to be clear on a few things before i go.

What is the function of the bush in the shocks ??
What exactly does 'bush kati hui hai mean" ?
Is it repairable ? or does the whole shock need to be changed.

The impression the mechanic gave me is that all 4 dampers were damaged.

Your thoughts and advice on the same pls

Thanks!!

Regards.
Old 12th November 2008, 14:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

Guess, what I am facing the same problem on my Ikon flair, 55k done. Am hooked on this but will not get it done at Ford ***. They are too damn costly.

Edit: BTW, which service station did you go to ? Delhi or Pune ?
Old 12th November 2008, 14:52   #3
BHPian

i have the similar problem in my ford ikon 1.6 , its mostly because the dampers tend 2 stiffen out over use....very poor quality...n also the struts mounting get loose n start to move around a lot.! there are a lot quality issues about the car ...i suggest for the price you pay 2 get new dampers n stuff ..mite as well buy some aftermarket better ones tat will make sure that v actually have something called as suspension .!!cheers:

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th November 2008 at 14:58. Reason: see note in post
Old 12th November 2008, 16:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guess, what I am facing the same problem on my Ikon flair, 55k done. Am hooked on this but will not get it done at Ford ***. They are too damn costly.

Edit: BTW, which service station did you go to ? Delhi or Pune ?
I have been going to Harpreet Ford, Asaf Ali Marg, near Vasank Kunj. Have been unhappy with the past two services. First four years had no issues with service.

Now im hesitant to go back to Harpreet Ford. Lets see. Shall wait for a few responses on the forum. What does "bush kati hui hai mean" ?? What does the bush do ?
Old 12th November 2008, 17:05   #5
Team-BHP Support

I too have vowed never to return to Harpreet Ford (Moti Nagar) again.
The only Bush I know is the one who goes to war as and when he wants. Other than that, let the gurus chip in.
Old 12th November 2008, 19:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

recently on the routine service had all the bushes changed in my '00 model 1.6. dont know whether it was damper bushes or not. however these were attached to the lower arm of the car. had to pay about 200 per bush. i think there are 3 of these go into a lower arm or something. not sure. are these the damper bushes?
Old 13th November 2008, 19:50   #7
BHPian

lots of views, no constructive replies. where are all the suspension gurus ?? still looking for answers/advice
Old 13th November 2008, 20:36   #8
BHPian

IMHO 40k km on a set of dampers is very reasonable , a set of 4 should cost you about 9000Rs including fitting.
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:30   #9
BHPian

I know of many ikons who have had a suspension overhaul between 45-50,000 km so it's not unusual for an ikon. Let us know if you finally changed your dampers and if so, has the problem been solved.
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:32   #10
BHPian

Life of the dampers is generally around 40 k. Bad roads and potholes do their bit to reduce this.
" Bush kata hua hai " can mean these two things :

1. The suspension mounting bushes are gone - to check them get the vehicle jacked up and try pushing the wheels from below. If there is play, get them replaced. This bush is between the absorber assembly and the body.
2. The rubber boot covering the damper is torn. This meant only for dust protection and you can drive without this. Replacement of the boots and others would cost you roughly 400-500 per assembly. Better to replace in time otherwise the seal on the damper will be eaten away. ( Better follow this - a stich in time saves nine - I had to replace both my shocks within 20 days).

FORD is damn costly - get aftermarket ones. Any good garage will be able to do this.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero View Post
I was amused, but then not too pleased that something is wrong with the dampers. Strikes me as unusual that there should be any problem with the dampers after just 42000kms.
I had done overhault on all 4 suspensions on my Ikon at around 45K (I had to replace front two suspensions).
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoin View Post
Life of the dampers is generally around 40 k. Bad roads and potholes do their bit to reduce this.
" Bush kata hua hai " can mean these two things :

2. The rubber boot covering the damper is torn. This meant only for dust protection and you can drive without this. Replacement of the boots and others would cost you roughly 400-500 per assembly. Better to replace in time otherwise the seal on the damper will be eaten away. ( Better follow this - a stich in time saves nine - I had to replace both my shocks within 20 days).
I guess I am in a similar situation as the boot of the Right damper is torn.Upon asking Ford ***,they mentioned that it doesn't matter and will not effect the damper.

Sharing your experiance would be helpful.

Enquired about the cost of each damper and it was quoted at 1.8K per piece.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd December 2008 at 17:50. Reason: Fixed end quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:31   #13
BHPian

I do not think there is any need to go to Ford for this job. Dampers etc are easily available at any good shop and will cost you a fraction. In case there is no oil leak, no need to change them.
I changed my both my front dampers for 2400 apiece + 700 for rubber boots etc + labour. This had to be done thanks to roads in Gurgaon - DLF and Sushant lok areas which were not repaired after a looong time after rains.
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:11   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I had done overhault on all 4 suspensions on my Ikon at around 45K (I had to replace front two suspensions).
How much did that cost you ?
Old 29th December 2008, 13:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
How much did that cost you ?
@Eddy: I took all this time to search the bill but was not able to find it. all i remember is that i paid around 25K while taking my car out from Service!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks