Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2008, 01:37   #1

Fiesta 1.4 help... Engine knocking

Hey guys i have have a ford fiesta 1.4 petrol for about 4 months.
Since the last few days i have been noticing that the rpm drops low each time i release the clutch...causing the engine to 'Knock' (this happens in the first gear when the car is about to take off). According to what i've heard fiesta is got sum mechanism to prevent engine knocks as well as preventing the engine from going off. Any ideas on this?.
And regarding the suspension it makes a THUD noise when exiting potholes, and those metal strips that are there on flyovers...is this a common problem??... cause according to all the reviews i've read about fiesta...people say it has a very plush ride etc...and i still havint found a reason to be satisfied with it at all. :(
I approached the dealer and he says that it is normal etc....please help....
im going on a long distance journey on december want to rectify all this before then.....
Thanks for your help in advance...
Old 14th November 2008, 12:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

well, not sure if you are talking of the same thing but my fusion 1.6 gives a knowcking sond everytime i accelerate from lower rpms. I think its coz of the all aluminium engine with lower weight. In i need to be real carefull while accelerating after a gear change if i need to not hear this knowcking sound. I've heard this on a fiesta diesel too and thought it was normal for ford engines.

Regarding your suspension i think you need to get you suspension bush kit checked. These ford service people are idiots and they never hea anything untill your warranty expires or you take an extended warranty. I've had experience with such sunds right from the first week of purchase. They said it was normal untill i tool the extended warranty at the expiry of the normal one. Luckily during that servce they thought it was not normal and they changed the rear shock absorber. And the sound has gone.
Old 14th November 2008, 14:08   #3

Note from Mod : Please avoid posting with excessive dots............like...........this........Thanks

no not when accelerating... im talking about when you start the car from standstill on the first gear ....as i release the clutch the rpm lowers drastically causing the engine to stall....so i have to first press the accelerator then release the clutch...this becomes a real pain in signals etc.....
And about the suspension thing.....i'll tell those guys to check it out....Ahh these service guys....big pain...already been there for more than 4 times regarding the suspension...

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2008 at 13:25.
Old 14th November 2008, 14:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua.911 View Post
no not when accelerating... im talking about when you start the car from standstill on the first gear ....as i release the clutch the rpm lowers drastically causing the engine to stall....so i have to first press the accelerator then release the clutch...this becomes a real pain in signals etc.....
Joshua, i think a ECU reset would help solve this. Shall let the others confirm this though. Shall direct someone to this thread who could be of help here.
Old 14th November 2008, 15:29   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

First and foremost, does this happen only on cold starts? If it happens all the time then its obvious there is plenty of load being put on the engine due to lack of sufficient revs or say because of an incline in the parking space or lack of sufficient air being fed in etc. Check if the idling is all right.

Normally, under cold starts the engine is not upto optimum temperature so the engine needs to be revved, but once the sufficient temperature is reached it shouldn't be a problem. Check if the problem persists after 20 mins of driving.

If knocking persists, kindly change the place you tank up at immediately. Its adulterated fuel thats causing the damage. At times even badly set tappets can make a sound that resembles knocking. With the modern day hydraulic tappets, its quite irritating on some cars at times.

Also does the fiesta operate on half clutch? If not, you need to change your driving style to build up revvs at start up. Kindly do not take knocking lightly, it could lead to severe engine damage.
Old 14th November 2008, 15:51   #6
BHPian

This is a strange problem, luckily have never experienced with my car.
Regarding the suspension problem does it give out a loud THUD or does it rattle?

If you are experiencing Engine knocks press the clutch fully and then rev it to around 4.5 - 5k rpm and then after it comes to the idle rpm then once just release the clutch without depressing the accelerator and see the difference, i experienced it many times in my aveo but after this procedure it is not knocking,

But my fiesta is not making thud noises while going over the metal strips on the flyovers.

On the Sion and Dadar flyover the metal strips are very unevenly made but not once have I got the thud in the car.
By the way what tyre pressure do you maintain in your car.
Old 14th November 2008, 16:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

I would check the fuel quality first. If not take it to the dealer and replicate the issue for them with the service adviser sitting with you. Thud sound you explained to be normal.

Yes these new engines rarely knocks and will have knock sensors to compensate ignition under normal usage.
Old 14th November 2008, 16:48   #8
BHPian

Considering the circumstances in the which the knocking occurred, it looks like a fuel issue. Please change the pump from where you are filling-up.

No need for any ECU resets.
Old 14th November 2008, 20:44   #9

Quote:
First and foremost, does this happen only on cold starts? If it happens all the time then its obvious there is plenty of load being put on the engine due to lack of sufficient revs or say because of an incline in the parking space or lack of sufficient air being fed in etc. Check if the idling is all right.
no it normally happens after the engine is pretty well warmed up. Idling is prefect and smooth.

Quote:
Also does the fiesta operate on half clutch?
i dint get what you meant

Quote:
This is a strange problem, luckily have never experienced with my car.
Regarding the suspension problem does it give out a loud THUD or does it rattle?
But my fiesta is not making thud noises while going over the metal strips on the flyovers.
By the way what tyre pressure do you maintain in your car
Its a thud when it goes over those metal stripes....and while in case of potholes...the whole car rattle like as if its a empty metal BOX...or you could say it as if its got a stiff suspension!!!
I did suspect it was due to my tyre pressure... varied it still no difference :(
so now i've been following the standard psi recommended in the manual.

I've been filling fuel from this petrol pump that just before pune expressway from the time i bought this car. I've heard they give the best<non adulterated> petrol in Navi mumbai.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...tml#post796510
Old 14th November 2008, 23:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

Joshua, how about trying a different petrol bunk for 2 cycles, just to compare?

The Fiesta comes with a stiff suspension, so the ride quality is boud to be stiff, and not cushy like other comfort-oriented cars. Whether the 'thud' you feel is within the limits or not can only be differentiated in person Between, is there any car you travel regularly in, against which you may be unknowingly comparing?
Old 15th November 2008, 10:20   #11
BHPian

rattles? that too in a fiesta, while going over a pothole i would say get the car checked for rattle noises,

do you prefer bhavna ford as i think you might be living in navi mumbai,

by the way where are the rattling noises coming from--dash--doors--?
Old 15th November 2008, 13:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Joshua, how about trying a different petrol bunk for 2 cycles, just to compare?

The Fiesta comes with a stiff suspension, so the ride quality is boud to be stiff, and not cushy like other comfort-oriented cars. Whether the 'thud' you feel is within the limits or not can only be differentiated in person Between, is there any car you travel regularly in, against which you may be unknowingly comparing?
oh guys btw dad just told me a few minutes ago that he fill a full tank from sum station in mumbai...that culd be the reason i guess....maybe i'll get the injectors and the fuel line cleaned by the ford guys...lets see what happens then....
yea i compared it to the honda city, and the new getz...and my THUD seem way louder than both of them
Old 15th November 2008, 17:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidaford View Post
rattles? that too in a fiesta, while going over a pothole i would say get the car checked for rattle noises,

do you prefer bhavna ford as i think you might be living in navi mumbai,

by the way where are the rattling noises coming from--dash--doors--?
Yea i bought it from bhavna ford. That service adviser there is a just useless, he is just not ready to listen. Two days after i bought the car the left headlamp started fogging up, it and slowly formed water inside the lens, went the next day and he tells me the problem is very common!!!! had a nice big talk with him that day, later on spoke to the main head of service and he agreed it was faulty and replaced both the headlamp assemblies for ME

the rattles come from the dash and somewhere in the rear(i think the rear tray)

Guys any other service centers that is better than bhavna. I dunt mind traveling to mumbai side for the repairs.

MODS sorry about the excessive dots in the above posts.
Old 16th November 2008, 11:51   #14
BHPian

My dear friend, I strongly suggest you go to Shaman Ford as the professionals there are very humble and they will solve your problem as they are very knowlegeable and experienced, It is located in Lalbaug, near Bombay Gas compound, even in a few days I am visiting there because of 3M Teflon coating.
Even I visited Bhavna Ford while purchasing the Fiesta as my factory is in navi mumbai, but I found the experience horrible, as they had just opened and the professionals were unexperienced , so I bought the car from Shaman Ford, Prabhadevi.
My car has always been serviced in shaman ford and post 12k there are no problems in the car.
Pm me if you want the address of shaman ford and the contact no of required professionals working there.
Old 16th November 2008, 14:55   #15

Aurite i'll check shaman out next time i go to mumbai. What about wasan ford is it good enough?? its nearer for me since its there in chembur.
I aint going to bhavna ever again. I got there sticker of too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks