Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 07:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

We had gotten our M1000 tank welded after scrape. Used a patch plus weld.
Old 9th October 2009, 07:11   #32
BHPian

My Indica diesel fuel tank developed a leak at the seam weld.

New tank + installation estimate at the authorised workshop was ~7,000.

Local workshop closed it off using MSeal for ~500.

Been more than a year and >10,000km of city and highway driving since.

So far so good.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 9th October 2009, 07:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna mark View Post
I fill a petrol tank completely with water, keeping the leak up to let out the last of the air. then, with 2mm or air allowed to form a bubble under the leak, I braze it. did a half dozen this way.

Big diesel tanks; one was 1,750 liters... in my boat... I arc welded it while it was full of fuel. I could hear it boiling behind the weld [the tank is 5mm plate]. there is no oxygen in the liquid, so it was quite safe, believe it or not.
On the same tank, my buddy welded a leak [he's better than me] while diesel was dribbling through! it was a pinhole leak in the weld of a new tank filled for the first time.

One in my camper in India; 250 liter sheet metal tank.
I filled the upper half of the tank with nitrogen [I had a cylinder lying around] while I brazed a leak near the top of the tank. black smoke did issue forth from the filler neck, but nothing more. I admit, it was a bit spooky; I had the floor up, and I was working inside my truck with the tank between my legs.

I've done the same thing to a smaller diesel tank using carbon dioxide.

think twice, and take the time necessary to make it safe. mainly, NO oxygen.
That's the way to do it.

As long as you remove one element from the fire triangle ( ie. Fuel-Heat-oxygen), it's safe for welding. If the fuel concentration is be below the LEL ( lower Explosive Limit) or beyond the UEL (Upper Explosive Limit) of the , no ignition can take place.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:11   #34
DRC
BHPian

I suppose there is a thread already on this and I had responded there.

Welding is not advisible. Not because of fire issues. They can be taken care, but welding does not stand on such a thin sheet of metal. Atleast that was the advice given to me by the mechanic. however, I wend aheead and got it welded. eventually it failed. Later, Psycho's friend's garage helped and fixed it with m-seal which served the purpose for 2 years, later when it developed leakage once again, I got the tank replaced.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:40   #35
BANNED

Do not forget that the fuel tank is a welded entity to start with. Welding carefully, taking care of the fire/explosion hazard is perfectly legit. Brazing a patch is another option, but I think the term being is used is in a generic way with no distinction being made between flame welding and brazing.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:12   #36
BHPian

OMG guys please read throughly.The topic creator has already replaced the tank with a new one!
Old 10th October 2009, 11:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Do not forget that the fuel tank is a welded entity to start with. Welding carefully, taking care of the fire/explosion hazard is perfectly legit. Brazing a patch is another option, but I think the term being is used is in a generic way with no distinction being made between flame welding and brazing.
Its the quality of Brazing or welding results in leaks. Howmany of these so called welders and tinkers ( who mostly do gas welding / brazing) are really qualified for the job they do? Most of them start the life as welder's and tinker's assistants.

Once I saw a patchworker fixing a patch on a car door. After the gas patching is over, you could see light coming through the welding. The welder's reaction, It will be ok once M-Seal is applied to the patch.
Old 10th October 2009, 12:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Well there is no need to wait two three days after emptying the fuel. It can be dried using blower of vacuum cleaner thoroughly. Put blower inside of tank and on it for several minutes.

All fumes trapped inside would come out and filled with air.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I need to repalce fuel tank in my zen! Any one has done this? Kindly provide the cost details!

Thank You,
Old 17th May 2010, 18:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

An update:

My dealer advised that the current zen tank can not be welded any more!

checked with MSIL dealers in Bangalore, but old zen fuel tank is available only on order! costs some 2K it seems. Will update this thread once i buy the tank.

Last edited by recshenoy : 17th May 2010 at 18:37.
Old 5th January 2013, 15:25   #41

Tata Indigo Fuel Tank Leakage

Hi,

I had figured out leakage in my indigo glx petrol car one and half year back.Bosch service center suggested for tank replacement and got it done.But again now i noticed fuel leak below from same location.Both cases tank compressed inwards.Can you please suggest a solution or a contact point for this in Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th January 2013, 00:33   #42
BHPian

Re: Tata Indigo Fuel Tank Leakage

I have had good experiences with Concorde Motors at Dairy Circle so far. You can show the problem to them. Also, why don't you post pictures of the said problem. Maybe then the experts here can make a solid diagnosis.
Old 6th January 2013, 09:56   #43

Re: Tata Indigo Fuel Tank Leakage

Thank you Miel,

I went there and they replaced fuel valve and said it was faulty but no improvement. I dont even know weather they troubleshooted?
Old 27th May 2015, 08:31   #44

Fuel Tank Problems, Replacements

Hi,

Need some info on the topic of replacing fuel tanks... Costs, complexity and off market work?

A little background - off late my dad found that our 2004 Corolla A/T was leaking fuel when filled above the 1/2th mark and had it checked in the Toyota service Center this time when he took it for the Airbag Recall yesterday. They checked and told that the file tank was ruptured near the top and that while you can still drive the car with 1/2 a tank of fuel, it's highly unsafe ( ) They have quoted him a cost of ₹40k for the job - ₹35k for the tank and 5k for the parts like pump fittings and labour.

I did some googling and found that in the U.S. it costs somewhere around $200 for the aftermarket parts and around $600 for the same at dealerships. I couldn't find any similar info for the Indian markets.

So hence wanted to know if anyone has done this kind of service on their cars ? Are the aftermarket ones reliable or should I do it only at the dealership ? But ₹40k seems a bit of an overspend for a 11 year old car IMO and this is not our primary car. So I'm thinking of going for aftermarket parts but I'm confused on the reliability and safety of these parts as this is the fuel tank systems we are talking about here.

Any suggestions please.
-APN
Old 12th February 2023, 18:35   #45
BHPian

Re: Fuel Tank Leakage: Is welding ok?

2023 bump for a query.

the fuel seam under the seat of a 1999 LML Vespa has split up.

Is there a way to seal it up using epoxy?

If yes , any specific kind of epoxy specific to petrol tanks?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks