Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 00:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fuel cut-off at max RPM in my Altis!

Got my first service done today at 850kms and then thought of high revving the Altis. This car runs like rocket but.. yes but as soon as the needle touches red line, the engine dies. I tried it twice but everytime i touched red zone in the revolution meter in second gear above 100 kmph the race ended with power cut from engine as if I have lifted my foot from accelaretor and it starts when it comes below red zone.

I will soon post photos of accessories I got FOC which got fitted today.
Old 25th November 2008, 00:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

well of course it gets cut. it hits the rev limiter. haha im waiting for immortalz post on this thread.
Old 25th November 2008, 00:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Got my first service done today at 850kms and then thought of high revving the Altis. This car runs like rocket but.. yes but as soon as the needle touches red line, the engine dies. I tried it twice but everytime i touched red zone in the revolution meter in second gear above 100 kmph the race ended with power cut from engine as if I have lifted my foot from accelaretor and it starts when it comes below red zone.

I will soon post photos of accessories I got FOC which got fitted today.
Eassyyy there buddy I don't think you have completed the full break-in period, you are only about half way through.
Old 25th November 2008, 09:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
...i touched red zone in the revolution meter in second gear above 100 kmph...
Wow. People do this to their new cars. Should we report this to the SPCA (Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Automibiles).
Old 25th November 2008, 12:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well of course it gets cut. it hits the rev limiter.
Can you explain more.. is it there in all cars?
Old 25th November 2008, 13:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you explain more.. is it there in all cars?
yes its there is most cars. it cuts off fuel when the engine rpm reaches a certain point that could be dangerous for the engine and cause extra wear and tear to it.
Old 25th November 2008, 13:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ym-engn - You do love your car don't you? Take it easy buddy.
Old 25th November 2008, 13:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
yes its there is most cars. it cuts off fuel when the engine rpm reaches a certain point that could be dangerous for the engine and cause extra wear and tear to it.
Well, it need not even be a technical explanation. Put it simply, theres a reason why a car has a limit. If there was no limit and you are allowed to keep revving, then everyone would buy a 10lakh car and expect to rev it upto a lamborghini's level.
And havent you ever played all those racing games like nascar? Even in that when you exceed the heat generation limit and the rev limit the engine blows. In real life im guessing this means you bid adieu to your car.
Avoid doing this to your new car. In fact I think you should avoid doing this to your car even when it gets older. If you wanna rev away to glory, go to an arcade and play daytona.
Old 25th November 2008, 13:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Wow. People do this to their new cars. Should we report this to the SPCA (Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Automibiles).
Ha, ha, that is a good definition of SPCA, dude!
Old 25th November 2008, 13:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well I dont see it happening in my Swift, however when I play Race 07, GTR Evolution, the same thing happens with the cars in the Sim. As soon as you hit the rev limiter and dont upshift, the car starts loosing speed, and rev counter fluctuating as if running out of gas. So I guess its a standard features in some cars.
Old 25th November 2008, 14:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

It was no struggle for Altis and even I was enjoying every bit of it. The sound was little loud, but nowhere was it breathless. And EPS co-operated fully unlike the popular disbelieve. Can sudden brake initiate Airbags? I did a test of that too.. It doesn't. Brakes are superb and the car is always in control. I could feel at times the ABS working on various wheels. Car engine temp was normal, no change there.

It was like a horse. The car was enjoying more than me.. She looked glad to show off its power, and it was fast. The road was almost empty and the few present were not watching me like a crazy stunt car, so I thought its not gaining much attention and would be looking normal. There is a very nice road Janpath, a stretch of around 800 mts, ideal to do tests like these at night in Jaipur.

I think once or twice is ok in the break-in period.
Old 25th November 2008, 17:12   #12
BHPian

I see that you love your new car a lot!!
However please spare some time to go through this if you have not yet : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

All the best!
Old 25th November 2008, 21:23   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was no struggle for Altis and even I was enjoying every bit of it. The sound was little loud, but nowhere was it breathless. And EPS co-operated fully unlike the popular disbelieve. Can sudden brake initiate Airbags? I did a test of that too.. It doesn't. Brakes are superb and the car is always in control. I could feel at times the ABS working on various wheels. Car engine temp was normal, no change there.
of course just sudden braking cannot inflate airbags. airbags have sensors. lol if they did inflate youd be faced with a big bill.
Old 25th November 2008, 21:34   #14
BHPian

Add to all, Your ECU is logging in what you are doing with your engine. You will be caught in case you need to approch Toyota service during warrenty period.

To answer your question all modern engines will limit the Revs through Software to certain limit for making sure that you are not abusing her during running in period.
Old 25th November 2008, 21:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Can sudden brake initiate Airbags? I did a test of that too.. .
Airbags deploy only in case of a crash and not on sudden braking..

Most Viewed