Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 22:50   #1
BHPian

CNG in Swift

my friend is planning to install CNG kit in his swift LXI. anyone here who has experience with it? how does the swift responds, and which is the best kit which can be mated well with the swifts engine. thanks in advance.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:04   #2
BHPian

I don't know personally anyone owning a swift converted to CNG.
However, I have seen Swift/Dezire at the CNG filling stations.

Converting to CNG will not be a problem. Swift has a 1300 cc engine and will respond great. (You would also have to go for Lambda and TAP)

Make sure that the conversion workmanship is top of the order. I would advice not to get it done from anyone who has recently opened a cng conversion workshop - rather go to one who has ample experience in CNG conversion.
Please bear in mind that getting this job done would void the warranty. Your friend may consult any Maruti Authorised workshop/dealer for CNG conversion - these people charge more but provide their own warranty.

As far as CNG kit is concerned, tomasseto, bedini etc. italian kits are good and any of these can be fitted, but again workmanship has to be top of the order even if you may have to spend a couple of thousands more.

Also, ensure that the RC is endorsed.
Old 27th November 2008, 14:20   #3
BHPian

yeah..CNG conversion is absolutely not a problem in the Swift. I had once driven a kitted Swift and i didnt feel much of a difference especially in urban traffic. But yes, as Khandelwal said, make sure that your fitter is an experienced one with the right type of technical know-how. Believe me, the quality of install does go a long way in improving performance and reliability.You can go in for Tomasetto Achilles (VFM) with just the lambda. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 18th December 2008, 12:51   #4

Hi,

Have u got the cng fitted in the swift Lxi. I am also planning to go for the same.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:17   #5
BHPian

cng in swift zxi

yes you can definately go for cng in swift. one of my friend owns a swift zxi and he has done 15000km with it. i myself have both my cars running on cng. go for a kit with lambda and TAP. ensure that all the parts are original. e.g. if you are going to use tomasetto kit then make sure that TAP and conversion switch are of the same company. do not use any chinese parts. also the guy fitting it should be experienced. if its a good fit then u will feel no difference between petrol or cng. ultimate thing is setting.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

It does LOVELY. Drop at Apra/Marketing times etc sometime to check out.
Old 18th December 2008, 19:50   #7

I am planning to buy the Swift Lxi soon and get the cng fitted into it. Have talked to the dealer. He has good experience in cng fitments and he is giving dealer warranty on it. The dealership owner himself drives an SX4 with CNG and his manager drives a Swift CNG.It works well for them.

I asked an executive from the same dealer to inquire whether they fitted TAP along with the CNG kit. He asked the same to the acual fitters and they said that TAP isn't required bcz they do the wiring in such a way that the car's performance is not at all affected.

Now, I learnt about these technicalities (TAP,lambda etc.) from other threads where senior BHPians have shared their valuable knowledge.Even here drjanakpatel has mentioned about getting TAP along with the kit.

Now I am a little confused about the whole thing. Is there any truth in what the executive has said ???
Old 18th December 2008, 23:58   #8
BHPian

TAP is a must for cng kit. you can do away with lambda but not TAP. i would suggest even lambda. at speeds more than 110 i used to get check engine light without lambda. also lambda improves mileage and pickup.
Old 19th December 2008, 10:11   #9
BHPian

I would say its the other way round.

Lambda is a MUST. This is as per requirements from RTO as well. If you do not have a Lambda the RTO guy will not pass your car for RC endorsement.

Malpractise alert:
If your dealer says that he is going to charge you extra for endorsement then don't take his offer - instead, a couple of visits to the RTO and if all your papers are correct, endorsement will be done. (The RTO charges are around Rs. 600)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
TAP is a must for cng kit. you can do away with lambda but not TAP. i would suggest even lambda. at speeds more than 110 i used to get check engine light without lambda. also lambda improves mileage and pickup.
Old 19th December 2008, 23:58   #10
BHPian

Lambda is needed to keep the emission under control . The catalytic converter as well as oxygen sensor may fail if lambda is not used . Driving without lambda will also cause engine check lite to come up this is because of the mixture becoming too rich or lean
Old 20th December 2008, 02:52   #11
BHPian

One of my friends has been driving a kitted Swift Vxi since quite sometime and is extremely satisfied. Even I have drived it and I must say the difference wasnt much. He hasnt got the lambda installed, only TAP.
Old 21st December 2008, 14:45   #12
BHPian

lambda and TAP

neither lambda nor TAP is required for RTO endorsement. TAP is timing advance processor and is required for the lack in pick up at low rpm with cng. lamda is required for adjusting the gas flow to the engine according to requirement. without lambda if the setting is good then there is no problem except at high rpm when the check engine light comes on. with lambda there is improvement in pick up, fuel efficiency and yes emissions. only lambda without TAP is not good, coz lambda will not adjust the timing.
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
neither lambda nor TAP is required for RTO endorsement.
AFAIK Lambda is related to meeting pollution norms and is required for endorsement. Of course there are ways to byepass such norms in India by a practice called Bribery.
WanderNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Rather then confusing you much more, i would suggest you to go for Lambda and TAP as well to keep the drivebility of the car next to petrol. However, it might cost you 3-4K in-total but will surely make CNG a pleasure fuel for you.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

We are using CNG in our Maruti 800 and I would like to put down some experience here.

The response definitely goes down. One has to adapt upto some extent. In case of Maruti 800, I feel that the after midrange the performance drops easily. Can handle city riding.

Swift is already not known for good bottom end torque. CNG will affect performance. Not by much as its now coming with ECU, but still there will be affect. In case of carb engines, there is chance of engine damage, but not in case with cars with those ECMs.
I think that try some other Swift fitted with CNG. I feel that the poor bottom end response will give some irritation to you.
Also sometime we have to fit in booster in the fuel line to improve response, if you are not satisfied with response.
Boot space will go away. Chech for suspension bottoming out or not. We had to install one more leaf spring at rear. This is not possible in case of Swift and the cylinder will itself weigh over 80 kgs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks