Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2005, 22:28   #16
BHPian

hi guys..like i mentioned before after getting the wires connected the a/c worked fine but again the problem had cropped up in 2 days. finally went and got it checked properly. have replaced the clutch coil. when the mechanic took it out he told me it had burned and was really old. touch wood the a/c is working fine now.
Old 4th July 2012, 11:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: astra compressor

Hey Guys,

Sorry to hijack this thread but didn't wanted to start a new thread. I stay in Bombay and have a 1997 Opel Astra with the 16NZR engine. I bought the car in 2005 and since then AC has not been working. Through the 7 years of my ownership I tried getting it repaired through some local AC workshops numerous times but still it refuses to work.

Let me give a description of AC work done so far:
2005 : AC switch and Air recirculation switch inside the cabin was replaced as the buttons got stuck due to moisture during the rains and weren't operating as desired. Got the part replaced from Authorised GM service centre and spent Rs. 3,500 on the switch. This time the switch was working but the AC wasn't. GM gave a quote that was half the value of the car.
2005 : AC thermostat changed for Rs.2,500 at a local workshop
Result: AC worked fine for just 2-3 days after which the blower was blowing hot air. Sometime later the blower stopped working and the entire AC system conked off.

2011: All this time from 2005 to 2011 I was driving the car without AC as I had no other choice neither the budget. I somehow decided to give it a final try and took the car to one AC workshop next to the bridge near Grant Road station. I took it to that particular workshop on one of my relative's suggestion. The AC was repaired at a cost of Rs.13,000(I dont know which parts were replaced). Again the AC worked fine for two days and conked off completely. Even the blower stopped working.

2012: I neither had time nor patience to take the car back to the same AC workshop for diagonising the problem. But since I had spent Rs13K I went to the workshop and got a reply in the evening that the blower motor has got jammed and it is not worth a repair as I would have to spend more. Also a part of the AC filter was eaten by the rats but i dont think that is THE problem because of which the AC has stopped working.

I am in a dilemma as to what I should do The car has been with me since the last 7 years and it is my first car. The engine seems to be working fine and has so far clocked 75K Kms. I want to keep it for another two years till I have a budget to buy a new car. I need your valuable suggestions for the below mentioned question.

Q.1) Should i get the AC repaired? If yes then what options do I have: Option 1: Replacing the entire AC unit assembly with a new one(sanden, denso, or any other after market AC system)
Option 2: Repair the existing unit at a really Good AC workshop(any good reliable ac workshops in mumbai preferably in and around Andheri)

Plz suggest the cost involved for the above two options separately.

Drive Safe,
Navin.
Old 4th July 2012, 23:45   #18
BHPian

Re: astra compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Hey Guys,

Sorry to hijack this thread but didn't wanted to start a new thread. I stay in Bombay and have a 1997 Opel Astra with the 16NZR engine. I bought the car in 2005 and since then AC has not been working. Through the 7 years of my ownership I tried getting it repaired through some local AC workshops numerous times but still it refuses to work.

Let me give a description of AC work done so far:
2005 : AC switch and Air recirculation switch inside the cabin was replaced as the buttons got stuck due to moisture during the rains and weren't operating as desired. Got the part replaced from Authorised GM service centre and spent Rs. 3,500 on the switch. This time the switch was working but the AC wasn't. GM gave a quote that was half the value of the car.
2005 : AC thermostat changed for Rs.2,500 at a local workshop
Result: AC worked fine for just 2-3 days after which the blower was blowing hot air. Sometime later the blower stopped working and the entire AC system conked off.

2011: All this time from 2005 to 2011 I was driving the car without AC as I had no other choice neither the budget. I somehow decided to give it a final try and took the car to one AC workshop next to the bridge near Grant Road station. I took it to that particular workshop on one of my relative's suggestion. The AC was repaired at a cost of Rs.13,000(I dont know which parts were replaced). Again the AC worked fine for two days and conked off completely. Even the blower stopped working.

2012: I neither had time nor patience to take the car back to the same AC workshop for diagonising the problem. But since I had spent Rs13K I went to the workshop and got a reply in the evening that the blower motor has got jammed and it is not worth a repair as I would have to spend more. Also a part of the AC filter was eaten by the rats but i dont think that is THE problem because of which the AC has stopped working.

I am in a dilemma as to what I should do The car has been with me since the last 7 years and it is my first car. The engine seems to be working fine and has so far clocked 75K Kms. I want to keep it for another two years till I have a budget to buy a new car. I need your valuable suggestions for the below mentioned question.

Q.1) Should i get the AC repaired? If yes then what options do I have: Option 1: Replacing the entire AC unit assembly with a new one(sanden, denso, or any other after market AC system)
Option 2: Repair the existing unit at a really Good AC workshop(any good reliable ac workshops in mumbai preferably in and around Andheri)

Plz suggest the cost involved for the above two options separately.

Drive Safe,
Navin.
This is a wiring issue i feel - get an electrician to trace the points and check the relays as well. The compressor and blower are long lasting items. Also check if there is any pressure in the lines as well.

replacing the compressor would be costly and wont be worth. my 2 cents

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks