Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 12:37   #1
gaurav.28ch

Esteem dashboard dismantling

I want to dismantle my Esteem's dashboard. Seems like something is broken inside causing rattling noise. Please gimme an estimate of the cost involved.

Old 11th December 2008, 14:27   #2
BHPian

you want to do it yourself or you want to get it done from a garage/MASS? If you get it done from some one it should set you back by around 500 rupees or so - if you do it yourself it's free, unless you break something in terms on time - it would take anywhere from half a day to two days depending on how much hell bent you are and/or how well equipped(with tools , knowledge on what to remove) you are.

Do post pics while your at it. My esteems dashboard too has lot of rattles, been planning to remove it every weekend , been 6 months so far that weekend hasn't come

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 11th December 2008 at 14:36.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

What are you guys planning to do once you remove the dash ?

@gaurav. My guess is nothing's broken inside, it is just the way the dash is designed. But I am also looking for a permanent fix for this.
Old 11th December 2008, 21:23   #4
BHPian

Rattle sound could be from the glove box lock or just steering coloumn. There are possibilities of loose front speakers or even AC house. These things do not require you to remove dashoard.
My advice is to drive the car at night on some lonely road with lots of potholes (may sound funny) with a co-passenger and ask him to notice the sound from where it is coming.
If its really the whole dashboard making sound then get it removed and then re-fixed with proper fitting and it should cost you about 450 Rs. Tell them to handle the stuff well that come out after removing dashboard because in my case that guy broke speedo cable and lost few nuts and bolts.
Old 11th December 2008, 23:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
What are you guys planning to do once you remove the dash ?

@gaurav. My guess is nothing's broken inside, it is just the way the dash is designed. But I am also looking for a permanent fix for this.
Hmm, I opened the instrument cluster to change the lights - found out that most of the rattles (at least in my cars dash were due to the connectors in the wiring harness rattling against the dashboard!) , the remaining rattles were due to loose bits of the dashboard, i have been too lazy to remove the entire dash and fix the rattles so far. One of these days ...
Old 12th December 2008, 16:26   #6
gaurav.28ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Rattle sound could be from the glove box lock or just steering coloumn. There are possibilities of loose front speakers or even AC house. These things do not require you to remove dashoard.
My advice is to drive the car at night on some lonely road with lots of potholes (may sound funny) with a co-passenger and ask him to notice the sound from where it is coming.
If its really the whole dashboard making sound then get it removed and then re-fixed with proper fitting and it should cost you about 450 Rs. Tell them to handle the stuff well that come out after removing dashboard because in my case that guy broke speedo cable and lost few nuts and bolts.
Sound is coming at the centre of dashboard above the central console(just above A/C outlets). It definitely looks like a loose screw jumping up and down on potholes. Its that much only but not sure whether dashboard needs to taken out for that ?

Old 12th December 2008, 18:40   #7
BHPian

Get in touch with car electrician and insist on fixing this problem without removing dashboard (I can imagine a chotu peeping under dashboard) because its very hard to fix these kind of sound and they arise again after some days.
At last, if nothing helps then get the dashboard removed and make sure all the wiring are tied up with those plastic straps well, all nuts bolts tight and you can use rubber washers in some places as well as extra precaution.
Old 21st April 2009, 23:39   #8
BHPian

The board also rattles against the front left part (driver side) in my case. Aren't there any custom dashboards available for esteem's?

I was once duped of rs.500/- by a mechanic who claimed to have solved my problem. That bugger had pressed down my accelerator pedal and folded the upper part of the metal case of the accelarator holder so that it could stay a little lower to increase the rpm by about .5K rounds and which seemed like a great job done by him. I later realised what he had done when I went for a pollution check which seemed to fail my car time and again even after tunning. So esteem owner's please be careful while you are at it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks