Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 18:58   #1
BHPian

Accent ECU Reset - Is it advisable?

Hi, I have an accent which is 58k kms old. Year 2000 model. Converted to lpg 3 years ago. I had a problem with the injectors (two) which I got replaced in June 2008 at Jaya Auto. During the period and after getting it replaced my mileage has dropped to 7 kmpl on LPG . It used to give me 8.5 kmpl before.

What could be the problem? Would it help resetting the ECU?
Old 16th December 2008, 11:40   #2
BHPian

Hi Jasher,

I have an LPG Accent myself,I don't think it would be advisable to remap the ECU.You might end up complicating matters further.I'd reckon that the engine rev setting / tuning might have gotten changed while getting your injectors replaced.Get the engine tuned by your regular mechanic for efficiency and then check.I'm assuming obviously that your driving style hasn't changed in the last few months
Old 16th December 2008, 13:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Hi Jasher,

I have an LPG Accent myself,I don't think it would be advisable to remap the ECU.You might end up complicating matters further.I'd reckon that the engine rev setting / tuning might have gotten changed while getting your injectors replaced.Get the engine tuned by your regular mechanic for efficiency and then check.I'm assuming obviously that your driving style hasn't changed in the last few months
no driving style has not changed. Infact been very conservative in last 8 - 9 months. change gears at 1800 rpm et al and dont cross 60 - 70 kmph. What kind of mileage is it giving you?

Dad just refilled the lpg and it had done 320 in 46 litres. It used to do 360 in 46 litres earlier

Will get the tuning checked but that does not seem to be the problem as I had got it checked after getting the injectors replaced
Old 16th December 2008, 14:03   #4
BHPian

It used to give me an average of 9 in city with AC on,nowadays just drive it on petrol though due to some trouble in running on LPG that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet.I had the same problem when I cleaned my injectors earlier but after getting it retuned by my regular mechanic and lowering the revs on idle,it was back to the usual average.
If tuning doesn't help then you might need to remap the ECU(assuming the exhaust system is functioning smoothly,a problem there could also lead to low average).Haven't done it myself yet so I wouldn't be the best person to advise you on this.But if the common factors for low average are ruled out in your case I suggest you take it to your LPG guy and have him check it.
Old 16th December 2008, 17:22   #5
BHPian

jasher, you can consider resetting your ecu. mileage would be low for couple of tank / cylinderfulls.
Old 16th December 2008, 18:30   #6
BHPian

Isn't resetting and remapping the ECU two different things ??
Old 16th December 2008, 18:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Isn't resetting and remapping the ECU two different things ??
Yes they are two different things. Maverick has them confused with each other. Resetting ECU is a simple thing. Just disconnect battery negative wire and leave for 15 - 20 mins. When you reconnect the ECU would have reset to factory defaults.
Old 17th December 2008, 09:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Yes they are two different things. Maverick has them confused with each other. Resetting ECU is a simple thing. Just disconnect battery negative wire and leave for 15 - 20 mins. When you reconnect the ECU would have reset to factory defaults.
Right you are mate,I had them mixed up.Since I'm a greenhorn I didn't know much about ECU Having read a couple of threads on the same I'm a li'l more enlightened now.Understood the resetting part but could you help me out with the remap bit?Is it done by tuners for performance increase??
Old 17th December 2008, 10:35   #9
BHPian

another thing I observed, the car on the first start of the day, on petrol always, the rpm goes up to 1100 - 1300, is this normal? as I cant remember how it was earlier
Old 17th December 2008, 11:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Right you are mate,I had them mixed up.Since I'm a greenhorn I didn't know much about ECU Having read a couple of threads on the same I'm a li'l more enlightened now.Understood the resetting part but could you help me out with the remap bit?Is it done by tuners for performance increase??
This may be OT here. Search for ECU remap. You will get a lot of info on the forum.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasher26 View Post
another thing I observed, the car on the first start of the day, on petrol always, the rpm goes up to 1100 - 1300, is this normal? as I cant remember how it was earlier
It is normal if it is a cold start but if the idling RPM goes up on hot starts also and especially on LPG then the problem can be leakage in inlet manifold also get the car retuned by your lpg refitter for the average problem. Do you have Lambda installed in your LPG kit ? Is the engine check light ( Yellow ) lit on LPG ?
Old 17th December 2008, 12:37   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaideep, just try the reset... if at all, it won't work, but will definitely not harm your car.
And as i have been telling you since the past few months, sell your car and buy mine!
Old 17th December 2008, 12:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Jaideep, just try the reset... if at all, it won't work, but will definitely not harm your car.
And as i have been telling you since the past few months, sell your car and buy mine!
wish if it was as easy as that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
It is normal if it is a cold start but if the idling RPM goes up on hot starts also and especially on LPG then the problem can be leakage in inlet manifold also get the car retuned by your lpg refitter for the average problem. Do you have Lambda installed in your LPG kit ? Is the engine check light ( Yellow ) lit on LPG ?
idling rpm does not go up on warm starts, infact that used to happen when my injectors conked off.

the yellow light is not lit on LPG

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th December 2008 at 13:23. Reason: See note in post
Old 4th May 2009, 02:40   #14
BHPian

Indica ECU

Guys, I have an Indica XETA(PETROL) that I ran really conservatively in the first 3-400 kilometers. Just wanted to know if the ECU could be reset without too many complications? While the car is powerful and has a good pickup etc, some more BHP would do no harm eh!

Old 4th May 2009, 09:58   #15
BANNED

Getting more power demands a change in the map. There are after market products for the purpose. However, remember your warranty goes for a toss if you do so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks