Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Need help on CNG xeta

Hi Guys,

I have 2006 Xeta which I got converted on CNG recently. for first few month it ran like a dream but currently I am having some trouble which are mentioned below along with the history of repair shops.

I got the landirenzo kit suggested by tata guys fitted by a recommanded fitter in noida 3 months back.

For first 15 days it was alright, I could not even feel the difference between petrol or gas. (which I have very gleefully mentioned in one of the threads)

but after that engine started to shut down as soon as I hit the clutch irrespective of the speed so it was very dangerous.

I went for the check up to the fitter and he said may be the spark plugs are old, so he changed the plugs and car was fine again.

Now again after few days car developed the problem again so I went to the fitter this time he changed the lambda contoller and few more things but it didnot work so i decided to jump in...

The RPMs were around 7500 on CNG and around 8500 on petrol in stationed position so we decided to increase the RPM and it worked for few days.

Now the car was back to the same problem so this time i called up the fitter and he suggested that i should get the throttle body cleaned from TATA and that is the last thing he could think.

called up TATA and was informed that if the car is ok on petrol and not ok on CNG then it is CNG problem not car but you can show the car at the workshop anyday...

So I stuck here and dont know what to do please help me with all your technical knowledge.

thanks and regards,

Manu Sharma
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:05   #2
BHPian

Very basic thing in CNG run cars.
Have you checked/cleaned the Air Filter after CNG conversion?

If not, do that right away and let us know.
Also, if you have clocked more than 5000 km since conversion, better change the air filter.
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Manu,

Same thing happened to me sometime back, but later on it was a loose air pipe. Though the pipe wasn't too much big, read a half-cm in diameter, but due to it's loosening the engine was not able to make proper pressure. Once it was plugged back, everything went normal. I do not know the exact name of the pipe but it was something like a small extension which connects from intake air pipe to throttle body.

Moral of the story: Check those loose pipes and connections
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
Hi Guys,

The RPMs were around 7500 on CNG and around 8500 on petrol in stationed position so we decided to increase the RPM and it worked for few days.

Now the car was back to the same problem so this time i called up the fitter and he suggested that i should get the throttle body cleaned from TATA and that is the last thing he could think.

called up TATA and was informed that if the car is ok on petrol and not ok on CNG then it is CNG problem not car but you can show the car at the workshop anyday...

So I stuck here and dont know what to do please help me with all your technical knowledge.

thanks and regards,

Manu Sharma
that much high RPM, i am sure you are mistaken here.
In CNG xeta should have around 900 rpm when idle.
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
that much high RPM, i am sure you are mistaken here.
In CNG xeta should have around 900 rpm when idle.

i think he meant 800rpm on perol and 750 rpm on cng.
what i will suggest you to check/change air filter,spark plug.
also there is a device(commonly called as mixer).check that too for any leakage.

my baleno had some thing similar,got the above things done,mixer is the part near the engine,which was culprit in my case.
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

PM wolfeinstein on the forum. He is the CNG expert.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:13   #7
BHPian

thanks guys, yeah i am sorry about the typo on rpm. got my car serviced recently..will go for a check up again.

thanks all, any other suggestion are most welcome.

manu
Old 5th January 2009, 10:02   #8
BHPian

Guys It Is Not Working.....

Guys,

As suggested, got the air filter cleaned and also got the throttle body cleaned.. car was fine for 2 days and after that old problem is back again.

now I dont know what to do????

help!!!
Old 7th January 2009, 10:11   #9
BHPian

wow..no body seem to have an answer, anyways got it checked again, problem with the kit,

thanks for your concern
Old 7th January 2009, 10:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wow..no body seem to have an answer, anyways got it checked again, problem with the kit,

thanks for your concern
Can you be a bit specific like what problem was there with kit ??
Old 7th January 2009, 11:28   #11
BHPian

I did not ask this time but he gave some name of the part which i dont remember right now.

i am ok with it if the car is working.

regards

Manu
Old 7th January 2009, 11:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not ask this time but he gave some name of the part which i dont remember right now.

i am ok with it if the car is working.

regards

Manu
Was it Emulater or Lambda anyhow.. I am bothering too much b'coz one of my close friend is undergoing such issue with his Esteem as well.
Old 7th January 2009, 16:21   #13
BHPian

It was emulator. lambda was alright. you seem to know about these things? now what is this emulator thing and why it was bothering me( I hope this was the last time)
Old 7th January 2009, 17:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Emulater is one which control fuel supply between two different fuels and smooth the switches between different fuels. Generally it gets blocked and need to be replaced/cleaned.
Old 15th June 2009, 13:45   #15
BHPian

Sad and happy part!!

Well Guys,

Since my many attempts and jumping up and down to have a fully functional car running on CNG has turn futile I finally gave up.

Guys, take my experience as a lesson please be very careful while getting a CNG for tata.
Mistakes I made.

went with gut feeling and burnt my hands by going with a reference to a fitter. Dont do that make sure that you check his credential.

If you dont have the patience and time to spend on the car then please dont go for CNG.

There will be some problems with car, like lagging, missing even on petrol while you have the kit on.(In my case one of the wire leading to the alternator got short thanks to the kit and my alternator was gone. I was without car for almost 7 days. cost 6000 rupees)

Make sure that you get endorsed on the RC so there is no problem with insurance.( Some idiot banged my car from the back ( in parking) but I could not take insurance since it was not endorsed.

So I called the CNG Guy to help me.. this guy says ( pata nahi ji aapki gadi mein hi dikaat aa rahi hai) he offered to give 15000 Rs. to take back the kit. I was royally pissed but could not do anything as my brother in law was involved. so I decide I will give it somebody for free but wont return this to the same guy.

I fine day somebody asked and offered 15000 for the kit I took 14000 and gave the kit to him.

My car is back. pick up is back and did what I should have done with boot space available now. I BOUGHT MY SELF A BASS TUBE (JBL ) WOHOOOO..
Will upload pictures soon.

cheers,

Manu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks