Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mixing different coolant brands

During my recent ekm, trip, noticed that the coolant level had gone below the minimum level, so we went to a nearby MASS, where ( by then the coolant level had risen, strangely) , they topped it up with whatever they had - some greenish stuff . I had no idea what was already in the car.
the bottle they used had no label, and the plastic had tvs girling stamped on it , and it was not in the list of recommended coolants in my user's manual

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd December 2008 at 11:01.
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

No issues. don't worry. nothing will happen. Almost all coolants have similar ingredients.
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
No issues. don't worry. nothing will happen. Almost all coolants have similar ingredients.
+1 to that. I have nearly always mixed the different coolants in my car. Never had a problem.
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

ah ok, was a bit worried. thank you both
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

A coolant is a coolant is a coolant. No need to worry.

The stuff used at all of the MASS is a Suzuki approved ready mix coolant which is bought by them by the barrel of 210 litres capacity each.
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:31   #6
BHPian

nothing really happens if you mix coolant as Vikram said. That said! my car has been running on 100% tap water for the last god knows how many months!

Haven't had the time to flush it out and pour in coolant!

Cheers
Shrey
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
nothing really happens if you mix coolant as Vikram said. That said! my car has been running on 100% tap water for the last god knows how many months!

Cheers
Shrey
I'm surprised that you are driving your car like that. Please change it ASAP. Water if nothing will only cause corrosion in the system. And I'm sure you know all this already.
Old 26th December 2008, 10:45   #8
BHPian

I think mixing of coolants doesnt create any problem, as in my esteem, as well as Baleno coolants are regularly mixed. But yes I know a few people who flushes the radiator before any coolant change.
Old 26th December 2008, 13:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

As discussed on a recent thread: Water is the coolant. The stuff in the bottle is an additive meant to prevent freezing in cold climates and to help prevent rusting in all climates. In UK you wouldn't buy a bottle of "coolant"; you'd buy a bottle of "anti-freeze".

The only problem I can see with mixing different brands is that they might be of different concentrations and specify different ratios to water. I don't think that even this would matter very much unless you live in a region that suffers frost. If you do, then the ratio of the additive to water is very important, depending on the minimum temperatures you are likely to face. If the coolant in your engine freezes, the resultant damage will probably be terminal for your engine.
Old 26th December 2008, 15:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, MASSs are supposed to use Golden Cruiser.

And I certainly dont/wont mix coolants of different brands, unless I'm absolutely sure (which Im not) that doing so does not affect the OPTIMAL functioning of the coolant/cooling system... no matter what others say.

In any case I give the car to a MASS... and they say they always use Golden Cruiser... so no question of mixing brews.
Old 26th December 2008, 15:32   #11
BANNED

I have a query on Coolants, my Corolla was due for 40000Kms service in which whole coolant is changed. The techinician told me that it is not necessary & money can be saved. He further said that this particular coolant can be good for another 40000kms & company just recomends a change for the heck of it.
But on insistance, he changed ~ 3L out of 7L total & said tha tit would work fine. Now was this the true story or should I have gone in for complete change?
Also can this cause damage to vehicle or would the coolant freeze in icy conditions as I plan to take my car to hills around new year?
Old 26th December 2008, 16:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post

Cheers
Shrey
I think water will boil out and you can hear water boiling after driving for 5 to 10 mins. Once i need to put water as my coolant was drained out due to leakage and experienced the above.
Old 26th December 2008, 17:53   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't understand: the coolant will never boil unless your engine is seriously overheated or there is some thermostat or other fault with the system.

Please check out the other thread where we covered this pretty thoroughly: it is water that cools your engine.

It is like fuel additives: the engine still runs on petrol/diesel.
Old 26th December 2008, 18:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't understand: the coolant will never boil unless your engine is seriously overheated or there is some thermostat or other fault with the system.

Please check out the other thread where we covered this pretty thoroughly: it is water that cools your engine.

It is like fuel additives: the engine still runs on petrol/diesel.
Coolant will never boil
I meant if you put normal tap water it will boil without any additives
Old 26th December 2008, 18:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you are making a basic mistake. "Coolant" (the stuff in the bottle) is not there to prevent boiling, which it would not do anyway, if your system has a leak or other malfunction.

Ordinary tap water will not boil in a normally-functioning engine.

There are decades of experience pre "sealed cooling system" to that effect.

Here is the other thread that I was thinking of --->http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-coolant.html

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th December 2008 at 18:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks