Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2008, 05:24   #1
BHPian

Infinity G35X breakdown

Hi All,

Just wanted to share something which happened a few days back in Wisconsin USA.

I have a friend who bought a brand new Infinity G35X around 8 months back.
On 27th morning she was supposed to drive down to the car dealership for the cars scheduled service. On route the car broke down, she called me thinking that a jump would help. I reached there and tried to jump the car but failed, that is when we had to call a tow truck. The service center people were not able to identify the problem immediately and had to call someone at their main office or something to find out what was wrong.
About an hour back she got a call from the dealer saying that the engine seized and needs to be changed.
This news comes as a shock as the car has done barely 11K miles and had been maintained impeccably, that apart she spent almost 47K on the car.

What I would like to know is, if it is possible for her to get a new car from the dealer? is that even possible or worth trying?

Any inputs or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 31st December 2008, 05:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwall View Post
About an hour back she got a call from the dealer saying that the engine seized and needs to be changed.
This news comes as a shock as the car has done barely 11K miles and had been maintained impeccably, that apart she spent almost 47K on the car.

What I would like to know is, if it is possible for her to get a new car from the dealer? is that even possible or worth trying?
Ouch! That must hurt!
The car's under warranty (right?) so the dealership should replace the engine without any cost to your friend.

Has she had the first service yet? Possibility of wrong oil, etc.?

Getting a new car is a possibility if the problem persists, but if the new engine works alright, and everything else on the car works fine then she won't get a new car.

Check out the lemon laws in Wisconsin -> Car Lemon,
Lemon Law America
A lot more links available on Google.
Old 31st December 2008, 06:34   #3
BHPian

Thanks for looking it up.
The car is under warranty. The servicing was always done at the dealer so no chance of wrong oil.

Just found out that the cooling pipe inside the engine leaked which caused the engine to seize. The dealer says this is just the second case of this kind ever to happen with Infinity(here in US).

I have asked her to put her grievance across to Infinity and see what they say.
Old 31st December 2008, 09:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Getting a new car is a possibility if the problem persists, but if the new engine works alright, and everything else on the car works fine then she won't get a new car.
Getting a new car is something that the insurance company will decide.
It might be a good idea to sound them out.
It is entirely a game of which option is the cheaper one.
One thing is certain - your friend can absolutely insist on a new engine, not a repaired one!
Old 31st December 2008, 09:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Getting a new car is something that the insurance company will decide.
It might be a good idea to sound them out.
It is entirely a game of which option is the cheaper one.
One thing is certain - your friend can absolutely insist on a new engine, not a repaired one!
pardon my ignorance but why is the insurance company a part of this.

The car is under warranty. The engine seized due to a fault in the car. The dealer has serviced the car. Given all this I fail to see how the car insurance has a role in it.
or Did you mean the insurance covering the dealership for this specific scenario ?
Old 31st December 2008, 09:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The car is under warranty.

Did you mean the insurance covering the dealership for this specific scenario ?
In the US, the matter will almost certainly get resolved at the dealer level.
The Maker will also fully sympathize/cooperate.
Makers usually do not pick up the tab for any such replacements; that is done by insurance, either dealer's or maker's.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwall View Post
Hi All,

Just wanted to share something which happened a few days back in Wisconsin USA.

I have a friend who bought a brand new Infinity G35X around 8 months back.
On 27th morning she was supposed to drive down to the car dealership for the cars scheduled service. On route the car broke down, she called me thinking that a jump would help. I reached there and tried to jump the car but failed, that is when we had to call a tow truck. The service center people were not able to identify the problem immediately and had to call someone at their main office or something to find out what was wrong.

Any inputs or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Why do you want a new car?

The manufacturer will repair the vehicle. Probably install a new engine. If this is done correctly, the vehicle will be as good as new. Infinity dealerships take good care of customers, and work is absolutely top notch.

Talk about lemon laws, and new car replacements should be if the dealer does not do a repair to your satisfaction. Give them a chance first.
Old 31st December 2008, 13:26   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Personally, I'd fight for a brand new car. However, it will be a long process with no guarantees. If your friend isn't keen on taking this route, ask her to insist on a new engine, rather than rebuilding the currently damaged one. Speak to Infinity - the parent company - as well. Also, share this nasty experience in some popular Infinity fanboards. You never know, may just be able to get hooked up with a helpful senior level someone @ Infinity.

P.S. : All the luxo-brands are sitting with heavy inventories gathering dust on their lots . May just work in her favour.

Last edited by GTO : 31st December 2008 at 13:28.
Old 31st December 2008, 13:35   #9
BHPian

Given that this is happening in Madison, you do have the small town advantage . Large city dealers are hard to push around. Smaller town luxo dealers are a lot easier .

Vijay
Old 1st January 2009, 06:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
. If this is done correctly, the vehicle will be as good as new.
Well as you said there is an if involved and that is a concern.

The dealer has already ordered a new engine, they will not be repairing the engine.

As GTO mentioned I have asked her to see if she can get hold of some senior guy at Infinity and try her luck.

Thanks all for the inputs.Ill keep you all posted on the developments.
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:51   #11
BHPian

The fact that the dealer has ordered a brand new engine, means that they want to take care of this issue and ensure customer satisfaction.

A brand new engine should be a good solution. Just make sure that you keep an eye on the car and take it in if there are any potential problems. Get the regular servicing done at the dealer.

You might try and get an extended drivetrain warranty out of Infinity as an alternative to a new car.

Good luck with the car.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:19   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You might try and get an extended drivetrain warranty out of Infinity as an alternative to a new car.
Good point. I'd say the extended warranty should cover the entire car due to the dealers engine install.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks