Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2005, 17:37   #1
BHPian

What is RAC and WL

Cuuld anybody please tell what is RAC and WL? Both are given as features of some vehicles in US(exmaple Ford Expedition).
Old 19th April 2005, 02:05   #2

all i can think of is RAC (reservation against cancellation) and WL ( waiting list) Hehehe....
Old 19th April 2005, 02:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

Wl & RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas
Cuuld anybody please tell what is RAC and WL? Both are given as features of some vehicles in US(exmaple Ford Expedition).
"The 2000 Ford Ranger has created for itself a niche as the most powerful compact-pickup in the market today. Available in 4x2 and 4x4 double cab configurations with manual transmission, the Ranger offers two diesel powertrains: a standard 2.5 liter naturally aspirated WL diesel engine, and an all-new 2.5 liter inter-cooled, turbo-charged WL-T diesel engine."

Ref: http://mobilemediaph.com/luzon/story5.html

Is it this you're referring to, or is it some sort of button-activated feature available on the dash-board?

All I could find regarding RAC was an abbreviation for Ford Racing. Though a racing ford expedition doesn't really sound as fun.

ads

Last edited by aah78 : 19th April 2005 at 02:30. Reason: adding quotation
Old 19th April 2005, 03:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am assuming its the RAC Horsepower figure youre talking about which is often listed alongwith with metric hp, similar to to what we have german PS ratings alongwith hp in our indian brochoures

RAC horsepower

This measure was instituted by the Royal Automobile Club in Britain and used to denote the power of early 20th century British cars. Many cars hence had names such as "40/50hp", which indicated the RAC figure followed by the true measured power.

RAC horsepower cannot be given as a proportion to metric power. Instead, it is derived from dimensions of the engine and certain assumptions about engine efficiency. When invented, it gave a rough guide to its true power rating; as new engines were designed with ever-increasing efficiency, it was no longer a useful measure, but was kept in use by UK regulations which used the rating for tax purposes.

RAC h.p. = {D^2 * n}/2.5 where

D is the diameter (or bore) of the cylinder in inches
n is the number of cylinders

This is equal to the displacement in cubic inches divided by 10pi then divided again by the stroke in inches.

WL & WL-T are model codes for the Ford 2500cc diesel engines; naturally aspirated and turbo variants.
Old 19th April 2005, 07:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

rac

well explained. makes my "explanation" look really stupid & amateurish - also bringing out my ignorance in the tech. LOL

ads

Last edited by Rtech : 19th April 2005 at 10:08.
Old 19th April 2005, 10:40   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys. But both these are shown as features of Dodge vehicles as well. These are some real data maintied by one of our clients(in the automotive industry).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks