Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2009, 11:20   #1

Honda City Zx - Rust on some parts

I have purchased a new Honda City Gxi from Prestige Honda Chandigarh on 12.12.2008. On the third day of purchase, i have seen the both the front disc brakes/assemblies are rusted. Apart from that number of other nut/bolt fitting are rusted. Customer Relations Team of the dealer are of the saying all the new vehicles are coming in this form. Honda when contacted also trying to pacify me on this that these parts can take rust as they are made up of cast iron.

How can a OEM sold a new vehicle with rusted parts???

Kindly provide your expert advise on subject, that whether my understanding on the matter is correct & the subject matter can be taken legally.

Also enclosed the pictures of the rusted parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City Zx - Rust on some parts-100_1015.jpg  

Honda City Zx - Rust on some parts-100_1017.jpg  

Honda City Zx - Rust on some parts-100_1007.jpg  

Honda City Zx - Rust on some parts-100_1006.jpg  

Honda City Zx - Rust on some parts-100_1014.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2009 at 13:55. Reason: Not a good idea to put your cell phone number up in public.
Old 3rd January 2009, 15:39   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Customer Relations Team of the dealer are of the saying all the new vehicles are coming in this form. Honda when contacted also trying to pacify me on this that these parts can take rust as they are made up of cast iron.
They are correct. This is normal; most brand new cars, which have been stationary for a while, suffer rust formation on their brake discs. And some other iron parts. Don't fret and enjoy your new car.

Though, admittedly, I am surprised that manufacturers don't bother with a protective coat that may prevent this.
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

its normal but if you need any help i have bought many NHC from the said dealer and I know them very well
if you want any help please pm

ps i have 2 new NHC less than a year old you can check them personally
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Though, admittedly, I am surprised that manufacturers don't bother with a protective coat that may prevent this.
The answer to this would be cost cutting. More over cast iron parts will never rust through like steel. They just form an initial layer of rust and will stay in that condition. They do not get eaten away over a period of time like steel.

The simplest way to get the rust off and to prevent it from happening again is just apply some old used oil (even cooking oil will work) on the cast iron parts. The cast iron being porous to a certain extent will absorb that oil on to it's outer surfaces and will prevent it from rusting again.

@Palwinder - No need to worry. This is normal with all cast iron parts.

Last edited by vikram_d : 3rd January 2009 at 16:43.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They are correct. This is normal; most brand new cars, which have been stationary for a while, suffer rust formation on their brake discs. And some other iron parts. Don't fret and enjoy your new car.

Dear All, Thanks to your comments.
Somehow to my understanding, its not the matter of whether the rust can cause damage to the vehicle or is it harmul or not!
My question is that if anybody OEMS is authorised to sell the rusted parts at the cost of new vehicle. This is an offence under consumer protection Act 1986. If stationary vehicles(brand new) do catch rust then they how come they have cleared the PDI?

The rust should have been removed in the PDI before delivering the vehicle to the customer.

Why these parts cannot be galvanised/or through other anti-rust treatment??

Do all senior-BHPians think that HONDA can sell these types to cars in JAPAN?
Only when these MNCs start opeartions in INdia they forget all quality standard. My car is august 2008 manufactured & cast iron cannot take rust that badly in 4 months.

This is the gross quality negligence & very old parts have been fitted into the vehicle.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palwinder_asr View Post
My car is august 2008 manufactured & cast iron cannot take rust that badly in 4 months.
It can & it will, especially in vehicles parked in outdoor parking lots for extended periods of time.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:02   #7
BHPian

Palwinder saheb, relax - there is no danger because of rust formation, neither these parts are easily seen so as to spoil the beauty of your car. Take a look at any car in other manufacturer's workshops and you'll see the same thing.
You have no cause of action to go to Court either, because there is no defect in the goods sold to you, since rust on the surface of a non-visible part that carries no danger or does not impair the working of the part, is not a defective part.
Old 5th January 2009, 15:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Palwinder,

Not to worry at all. The rust on the cast iron item itself is a preventive coating. It will prevent the rest of the cast iron body from rusting. This is normal to provide Cast iron components as is. If they coat the same with a paint or primer it will play the same role of a rust at an additional cost that the car companies doesn't want to bear and add the same to us consumers.
Old 5th January 2009, 16:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palwinder_asr View Post
My car is august 2008 manufactured & cast iron cannot take rust that badly in 4 months.

This is the gross quality negligence & very old parts have been fitted into the vehicle.
Here in Kolkata, Brake discs get a coating of rust in 5 days if the car is parked un used.
Old 5th January 2009, 16:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

Initially I couldn't see the thread with the pics so thought that you were referring to the layer of rust on the brake rotor after washing the car. This is normal.

After looking at the pics I don't think this is normal. I have never seen any suspension arm or any nut along with the washer so badly rusted. That too in a new car. I would suggest you check up another NHC.

The brake rotors I agree catch rust but the suspension arm does not rust so bad along with all nuts so early.

Either honda has put some old batch of parts on your car or their quality of parts is really really poor.

The maruti's suspension arm come painted silver and the lancer's full black. The nuts are painted on my lancer after they are fitted to prevent rust.

Quote:
The protective coating will wear out in no time if on the brake rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
This thread proves how finicky NHC owners are. Hats off to the car, which has satisfied its very demanding owners !!
Yup completely agree with you on that. It also shows the poor quality of parts that honda is using on their cars.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th January 2009 at 16:28.
Old 5th January 2009, 17:57   #11
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately its cast iron parts that have corroded, cant avoid it. On the other hand allen keys and other bolts getting corroded shows the bad quality of metals used, not a big issue but nonetheless an eye sour!
Old 5th January 2009, 19:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey, why don't you go to the dealer's yard where they keep their cars before delivery and check the cars there for similar rust formation ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo
Hats off to the car, which has satisfied its very demanding owners !!
Satisfied ? Hello, the owner is complaining about a (possible) defect in the car, which does not sound to me like satisfaction. Far from it actually.
Old 5th January 2009, 20:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

I can't comment about the suspension arms and nuts. But the rust on the brake rotors is normal. If it's cast iron, then do not worry. It's a very thin layer or rust that protects the iron underneath. It doesn't rust through.
Old 5th January 2009, 23:32   #14
BHPian

hi palwinder i have also bought a NHC zx in december and it is also aug2008 manufacture. waht u say is the same thing i've noticed and it is absolutely normal and the same was there on my other honda city which was purchased in 2004 ad it is still going strong even after 158000km on it. never opened the engine even once and still gives me an averae of 10km/ltr in mumbai traffic with full ac on and it is driven by my driver only. so u can imagine the sturdyness.
relax and enjoy the car.
Old 5th January 2009, 23:37   #15
BHPian

hi,
i've got e NHC zx too in december 2008 and it is also aug'08 manufacture. but it is a normal thing as even my old car NHC (2004 model) had the same issue and nothing happened to it. it has gone through 158000kms till now and still peppy. so u can imagine.
i would say just ignore it and if u feel so u can go in for antirust coating on ur underbody and wheel flanges.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks