Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

A/c Dehydrates You?

While on long drives, you are continuously on A/C environment. While the same is true while on work you tend to take in lots of fluid as you would be following some kind of set routine.

When on a drive, the driver is concentrated on driving and does not take enough fluids. Is there any need to take balanced fluids to compensate for dehydration, like Electral or some such salt / sugar solution? Does the A/C dehydrate a person so much?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

==Ramky
=======
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:19   #2
BHPian

just keep a water bottle handy-i do the same thing-actually it depends on person to person,i generally dont feel dehydrated cause i've a habit of sipping water at regular intervals-meaning my body needs a lot of water-so it depends on person to person.
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:28   #3
BHPian

There is no need for any supplements like Electral. Just drink plain water whenever you feel thirsty.
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:55   #4
BHPian

The skin does get dry, but I am not sure if that results in loss of fluids from the body. I have never felt any dehydration effects.
Old 3rd January 2009, 19:10   #5
BHPian

An A/C will not dehydrate you. Dehydration is mainly the result of a hot or humid environment, where water is lost by means of perspiration.
The A/C will cause dry skin but will not dehydrate you. You might experience dryness of the mouth due to the comparitively colder, drier environment inside the car.
Drinking lots of water is a good idea in any case, A/C or not.
Old 3rd January 2009, 19:29   #6
BHPian

I do not think it is the AC. Usually I feel this during long drives on any sunny day.
Very prominent when AC is on full throttle and outside temperature is soaring high.

I usually carry some kind of energy drinks while on long drive. It really helps.
Water does not give much relief or energy in such conditions.
Old 3rd January 2009, 19:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not you, but your eyes/face.

I typically end up washing face/moisturiser more, and even put in lens solution in eye to rehydrate while taking a power nap.
Old 3rd January 2009, 19:57   #8
BHPian

It is better not to wash eyes in such condition. Eyes will be already dry and washing eyes will cause it to loose all the oils and moisture.

It is better to use some kind a safer eye drops. This is the case when you use computer for long time. Don't wash eyes when it is already dry. This was suggested by my doctor.
Old 3rd January 2009, 20:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
While on long drives, you are continuously on A/C environment. .....

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
.. Ramky, So you started this thread..!!!. Great man. Me too eagrly waiting to hear the inputs and watching when this turns into 'dung attack'

Cheers,
Old 3rd January 2009, 20:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

Once I drove 1700miles in 3 days with 5 people on board doing various site-seeing in harsh sun. The route covered was California-Nevada-Arizona, passing through all the deserts. I don't think the A/C did a good job of cooling the cabin for 5 people. By the end of the trip I had sever head-ache that lasted few days. My eye prescription power increased by -0.5 after that trip.
Old 4th January 2009, 12:00   #11
BHPian

Disagreed about the air-con, but a heater sure as hell dehydrates you. On long drives, it is a must to:

- Frequently sip water.

- Get out & stretch every 2 hours (smoke break too ).

- Face wash + rinse your eyes.
Old 4th January 2009, 16:33   #12
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Switching on the AC in a car will not dehydrate your body. Spending hours in the cool environment will suck the skin off its moisture, your eyes also tend to get a little dry and lips get chapped. Direct the cold air high up into the cabin and not at the face, to prevent this from happening.

Drink plenty of water or lemonade (which is very refreshing) to keep your body saturated and prevent dehydration.
Old 4th January 2009, 16:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
By the end of the trip I had sever head-ache.
On Long drives i too have experienced a bit of nausea and head ache when driving continuously with the air cons on. However i have never felt dehydrated so far.

On long drives i do at times turn off the A/C and drive with the windows rolled down.
Old 4th January 2009, 23:35   #14
BHPian

Be prepared

Air conditioning generally won't dehydrate you. The main factor that dehydrates you is YOU!
Here's how -

Most of us at home, drink water on a regular basis, even at work, we stop for beverages, ensuring an adequate intake all through the day.

Once inside the car, the first impulse is to turn the AC on.

1)Now all of us know that in cooler environments we tend to drink lesser amounts of water - so in the AC cooled car, most of us reduce our water intake significantly- that is one of the main culprit factors

2) On long drives, our body is under constant, tremendous stress - remember that your brain is working most of the time, processing information about drive speed, reflexes, gear shifts and all that - As a result of this (not the gear shifts LOL - but because of the stress) , the tendency to diuresis (produce Urine) is more , Now this should act as a stimulant to make you drink water- but your AC fools the body into thinking that it doesn't need more- and boom- you have the second reason - now this is also one of the main reasons for headaches(The other reason is infrequent blinking).

3) Some of you might say that you stop for frequent coffee breaks, but in spite of that feel tired and dry - well!- you just answered your own question - Coffee and caffeinated products are Diuretics!! , so is it any wonder that you should feel the loo breaks more often, but the water intake just seems to be not enough?

So- in conclusion

a) Take more frequent breaks

b) Its always a good idea to turn off the AC intermittently on long drives, and also to avoid total internal air circulation for long durations (another contributory factor for headaches) , so just turn the knob to External + internal air circulation in pollution free areas.

c) At higher altitudes -it's ok to let down the window , and enjoy fresh air - also because it strains the engine if you have the AC on during a climb.

d)Avoid Coffee breaks - make it lemon juice breaks or tender coconut breaks.

e) Carry lots of water as reserve.

f)Blink frequently (Not with chilli in the eye frequency)

All clear?
Old 5th January 2009, 00:01   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

AC, generally, is known to dry the air its conditioning. Hence the use of humidifiers in countries where AC is a necessity and not a luxury. But, I havent heard of dehydration while using car AC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks