Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 15:47   #1
BHPian

Fiesta 1.6S RPM Cutoff

Guys,

Facing a strange problem.

My 4500km run Fiesta seems to run out of steam at 5500rpm. The car pulls cleanly right upto 5500 rpm and then I can feel the engine getting cutoff (electronically limited). This only happens when the car is moving and accellerating through each of the gears. Surprising thing is that if I keep the car stationary and gun the accellarator it cleanly swoops to 6500 RPM.

I was under the impression that the Fiesta 1.6 was supposed to have a max RPM of 6500.

Can other 1.6 owners comment on the experience in their vehicle ? Thanks.
Old 5th January 2009, 16:40   #2
BHPian

The catch

I had the same problem with my sister-in -laws Matiz. The car would kind of go into a choking sputter towards the latter part of individual gear accelerations, but would hold steady if the accelerator was pressed down on straight stretches, really had me thinking about all aspects from the injection till the hydraulics / clutch . Took it to a service station - and found there was a rubber vacuum hose leak. Once that was fixed, they also noticed a worn out clutch plate (since my sis-in-law has her foot glued to the clutch in-city )

A Vacuum leak or sensor failure is more likely to be the problem,check all the rubber vacuum hoses for leaks and check electrical connections.

Anyway - get you car checked up at the ford showroom -
Old 5th January 2009, 16:55   #3
BHPian

fuel hunting

I currently own a ford fiesta Duratorq, and keep it in prime, with regular servicing, no problem with the revs.

Most owners experience 2 kind of problems

Missing & Fuel Hunting-

Plugs foul up if the fuel used is of poor quality - the heads also eventually burn out with time, leading to sluggishness.Leads also get old and get vehicular Alzheimer's

Fuel Filters get clogged, therefore not enough fuel gets through. Injectors also are affected which results in lesser available combustible fuel.

Poor quality fuel (read spurious) may have too great a % of ethanol, also resulting in not enough juice being available under the pedal. Some have minuscule water- but water in fuel will foul your system thoroughly and immediately - doesn't induce sluggishness.

Your fuel pump might be beginning to fail, which, as in all the other cases, results in not enough fuel being injected.

if it's a case of missing, it will be there ALL THE TIME - because timing is timing, doesn't matter what position the throttle is in.

Its also a good idea to check that the temperature transmitter is not faulty and sending wrong signal to E C U and then the mixture is too rich.
Old 5th January 2009, 18:24   #4
BHPian

Strange problem. I have never experienced with my 1.6.
My car easily pulls till the 6800 rpm, that too easliy. I dont know how your 1.6 has this problem.
But if I recollect the New upgraded Fiesta which you own has a ECU remap to the 1.4's setting so that it can give more mileage.
I do think this must be because of the ECU change in setting.
Old 5th January 2009, 19:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidaford View Post
Strange problem. I have never experienced with my 1.6.
My car easily pulls till the 6800 rpm, that too easliy. I dont know how your 1.6 has this problem.
But if I recollect the New upgraded Fiesta which you own has a ECU remap to the 1.4's setting so that it can give more mileage.
I do think this must be because of the ECU change in setting.
Hey what ECU remap to 1.4's setting mine too goes till 6000rpm without a seconds delay.
Old 5th January 2009, 21:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think I should give mine a try tomorrow. I've never gone beyond 4500 to 5000 k so far.
Old 5th January 2009, 21:19   #7
BHPian

I own a new Fiesta 1.6.I have similar problem.My car gives excellent pick-up in the second gear but is sluggish in third gear.I'm just hoping it turns better with more running.It has only run about 1700kms and the mileage i'm gettin is around 8.5.What can i do to get a better rev and mileage.
Old 5th January 2009, 21:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
What can i do to get a better rev and mileage.
- im sure everyone of us wants that - but I am not sure u can get both of that together
Old 1st March 2009, 10:05   #9
BHPian

Well the strange issue still exists. I got to take it to the Pune dealer now and see if they can sort it out. I'm sure it wasn't there earlier. I was in Goa for quite some time and the mech there didn't know much. Infact when he TD'ed my vehicle and I told him about the RPM cutting off at 5500 he said it's normal. Later he mentioned that they don't usually look at so much detail in RPM :-(
Gonna take it to the Pune dealer and ask him for a feedback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks