Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2005, 20:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

What are the symptoms of suspension problem / failure?

I'd like to know, what happens when a car faces suspension problem or failure. How does it affect normal driving? Does it make the car droop to one side?

Has anyone here, had a suspension problem?

Shan2nu
Old 22nd April 2005, 21:48   #2
BHPian

hey buddy well suspension problem's vary from kind to kind well for now i can tell you that the ride and the control quality deteriorates...well on the other hand you can sounds and noise from the suspension..reduced road grip..less stability...and there's a lot more to it...that was just my bit that i had to say...cheers...!!
Old 22nd April 2005, 22:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Here are some of the suspension issues I have come across:

Various noises like squeaks and thuds due to loss of lubrication in varous joints
We had a TATA Estate in ~98 which actually broke a coil spring and the car was tilted to one side.
Loss of wheel alignment due to ball-joint failure (causes uneven tire wear)......1st gen Sumo
Loss of " - " due to tie rod failure that causes pulling to one side
Shocks leaking and causes choppy ride.
Bushings and strut mounts wearing out and causing the car to crash into potholes.
Groaning noises ---- hub bearing failure

Old 22nd April 2005, 22:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

all that dragger said plus..increase in body roll, much longer rebound and damping. or in plain terms it has become too soft.
if one particular suspension has gone then it will droop to that side.
had both the rears replaced on the baleno once.
or if both either in the front or rear have gone then car looks as if it is loaded!!!
Old 22nd April 2005, 22:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey also if lot of sqeeky noises could be bushes or wheel bearings.
plus as mentioned car handles very differently...
Old 22nd April 2005, 22:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
had both the rears replaced on the baleno once.
What parts did you replace ........shocks?? How many kms on your Baleno??.....Ever rallied it?
Old 22nd April 2005, 22:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

replaced the struts...50k kms. had done soft. no never rallied...dont have the ***** too
Old 22nd April 2005, 23:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well, the supenssion on my car seems pretty good, as they don't show any of the above mentioned symptoms. There is no drooping on any of the wheels, no creaking or squeaking sounds etc.

Ride is harsh as a result of high tyre pressure and body roll has increased due to the grippier tyres, the car did start veering to the right but, its a clear case of wheel allightment. Will get that checked tom.

So, it's back to happy ripping for me. The car is so much better off without the A/C man!! LOL

For softened suspenssion, one site recomended a test where you push each suspenssion up and down a few times and let go, if the suspenssion stops bounching imediately, it's a good sign but, if the suspenssion moves up and down another 2-3 times after you've let go, you better get it checked. Did this test on the Vtec, doesn't seem to have softened.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 22nd April 2005 at 23:17.
Old 23rd April 2005, 20:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu

For softened suspenssion, one site recomended a test where you push each suspenssion up and down a few times and let go, if the suspenssion stops bounching imediately, it's a good sign but, if the suspenssion moves up and down another 2-3 times after you've let go, you better get it checked. Did this test on the Vtec, doesn't seem to have softened.

Shan2nu
Yes, that is one of the ways you can check for worn shocks/struts, the excessive bounce.
Old 25th April 2005, 20:29   #10
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well, talk about my wagonR!
it had done 50K kms. The suspension and steering system.. had some rattling sounds when going over rough patches. Also steering was a bit lose... No other serious problems though.

There was no excessive bounce!.

I gave my car for service yesterday evening and told them to check the suspension thoroughly as I plan to do some hill driving soon. So they called up today, with a list of things that need a change.
All the front suspension arms/bushes and stuff,
Front Shocker/Strut kits
Steering Kit
AND the Front Struts!!!

I am expected to get a total bill of Rs 11-12K for the service.

NOW thats what you call suspension trouble!
Old 25th April 2005, 21:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey SLK, even our Wagon R has that rattling sound but, it is caused by play, in the brake callipers. U might want to get a 2nd opinion on that suspenssion change.

Shan2nu
Old 25th April 2005, 22:34   #12
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well.. can't really help it now!.. its done.
Will collect the car tomorrow morning.

Everything except the struts I can accept.. as I have actually done quite a bit of Himalayas. BUT struts!!

My brakes too have problem of vibrating at speeds above 110.

This rattling could be felt through the steering wheel so it should be something to do with suspension!

Also when the service centre guy took the car for a test drive ... it just won't rattle! So he told your suspension looks fine but we'll still check. This happens with me too, someday it rattles while going on a smooth road (can feel it in the steering)!.. and some other day not even a bit of it.. on any kind of surface.

One more strange thing with my car was, the steering was a bit lighter to turn left compared to right!... maybe a power steering issue!.. will see that tomorrow!
Old 25th April 2005, 22:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My brakes too have problem of vibrating at speeds above 110
Had the same problem on the Vtec, the tyres used to wobble under hard braking. Had to get the tie rods replaced, now the car is fine. But first, get your wheel allignment and balancing done before you come to any conclusion.

Shan2nu
Old 9th November 2010, 00:06   #14
BHPian

Guys i'm bumping this thread cos' i have a similar problem,

The front-left suspension makes squeaking noise when driven on a rough patch of a road or when driving over a speed breaker,
And when i break at 40-50kmph the steering starts to wobble, This problem was brought to notice to the service manager and the problem was solved after the brake discs were replaced under warranty. and now the problem has crept back up. I would like to know what could be the possible reason.

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Guys i'm bumping this thread cos' i have a similar problem,

The front-left suspension makes squeaking noise when driven on a rough patch of a road or when driving over a speed breaker,
And when i break at 40-50kmph the steering starts to wobble, This problem was brought to notice to the service manager and the problem was solved after the brake discs were replaced under warranty. and now the problem has crept back up. I would like to know what could be the possible reason.

Thanks.
Akshay what is your car ? How many KMS has it run ?.
Squeaking noise can be from busted STRUT KITS or STRUTS or suspension bushes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks