Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 22:59   #1
BHPian

Cobra Locks me out

I was at Nehru place today. Handed over the car to the attendant for the parking, took the slip & walked into the Dell showroom to figure out which notebook I wanted. I return 15 minutes later & the attendant drops me off to where my car is parked. When I reach, the remote won't open the locks. There's LED display on the remote however, nothing.

I open the car with the key and the whon whon whon whon starts with a bunch of people swarming the place like I'm about the steal my own car . Questions start coming, kya hua bhaisahab blah blah blah, chabi dikhana and all that. Someone wants to try turning the car on. Amist all this, I have no clues what to do whom to call etc etc. Log on team-bhp but the small screen of my E61i and the slow internet browsing speed is useless in these situations. So I call Just dial and take down phone numbers of auto-cop fella's and within minutes people call to find out if I want to get auto-cop installed in my car. When I tell them what the problem is, with an "ohhh" sound they conveniently hang up untill Amit from Vig automobiles in Kalkaji promises to send over his bloke to look into the matter. In the meantime, all the R&D is done with information coming in from all quarters of people standing by. "Je reset button dabao. Aap ki gari main tow button hi nahin hai. Yahin steering key saath hi to hota hai... etc etc." In the meantime, I find the unit of the locking system & take the plug out, hoping that the wailing siren would stop. I leave it unplugged for about 15 minutes in the hope that it may re-set itself but to no avail. However, when the unit was plugged back, the siren started to attract all sorts of negative attention that it's meant for.
In the meantime, the lad arrives & checks the system in his own way, opens the steering wheel cover which makes me perspire even more and disconnects 2 wires from there. Cranks and voilla, my love is breathing again. He says that the unit is Kaput and that instead of replacing the Unit, I should go in for a new central locking sytem, the unit being for around Rs. 1600 with no warranty and the system being for 2500-3500 with 3 years warranty.I give it a quick thought, still undecided, head over to enquire about the new system and also to say a quick thank you to the bloke who sent the fella over. Bill for this headache - waste of almost 3 hours and 200Rs.

Questions :
1. What to do now. Is there anyone I can get this checked with before replacing it
2. Any ideas what's happened. It's the first time (of course!). If i may add, I was trying to find my car from the "find" button on the remote from satyam cinema right till the lotus temple. Maybe too much clicking of that temporarily made the system insane but shouldn't that have been re-set when the unit was plugged out.
3. Which one to go for now, if it's a new system. The bloke suggested a brand called NGT or CGT or some name similar to this for 3500 with a discount for 100-200 bucks. Said it's made in singapore, comes in with 2 remotes, is water proof etc etc and better than autocop. Any clues as to how this is

The central locking which comes standard in honda is still intact

Would apprecaite your help guys
Cheers!
M2S

PS: Mods please merge with similar thread for future references if required

Last edited by married2speed : 28th January 2009 at 23:08. Reason: Mod note added
Old 29th January 2009, 13:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I reach, the remote won't open the locks. There's LED display on the remote however, nothing.
The remote didn't light up? That tells me the remote is at fault, and not the main console installed in the car. I have found autocop dealers to be extremely inefficient. Good news is, autotop themselves provide exemplary service.

My suggestion : Get in touch with Autocop directly. If your system is within warranty, a solution will be offered on the same day. If it is out of warranty, they have schemes where you can renew coverage for barely 700 bucks a year. Autocop generally replaces faulty systems with a new one on the spot.
Old 29th January 2009, 15:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The remote didn't light up? That tells me the remote is at fault, and not the main console installed in the car. I have found autocop dealers to be extremely inefficient. Good news is, autotop themselves provide exemplary service.

My suggestion : Get in touch with Autocop directly. If your system is within warranty, a solution will be offered on the same day. If it is out of warranty, they have schemes where you can renew coverage for barely 700 bucks a year. Autocop generally replaces faulty systems with a new one on the spot.
Thanks for the revert GTO
The remote did not open the car, if I put it in a simple way but when I opened the car with the key, the siren wailed it's lungs out, so I'm guessing that the unit is working fine and as you put it, the remote is kaput. Hmmm..why didn't I think of this before

Is there a way to replace the remote? Don't think that a 2005 model will still be under warrantly. Let me google the address for autocop and see if something pans out. I tried doing this yesterday but of no avail. Do you have the address for autocop or the website? Anyone else who can share autocop contact details

Apprecaite the help
Cheers!
M2S

Last edited by married2speed : 29th January 2009 at 15:41.
Old 29th January 2009, 15:41   #4
BHPian

Did you try with your spare remote? If the remote is the culprit then you can check with the spare remote to confirm.
Old 29th January 2009, 15:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to AUTOCOP website [Total Security Solutions]

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 29th January 2009 at 15:59.
Old 29th January 2009, 15:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

The remote battery might be weak. Try replacing that battery and check first. Even just removing the old battery and putting it back in helps. Also try to see if the spare remote works fine.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Is there a way to replace the remote? Don't think that a 2005 model will still be under warrantly.
Autocop usually offers 4-5 yrs warranty, search for your warranty card, you might be lucky.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:06   #8

I have a contact number of a technician (Autocop) who came to fix my autocop.

You can call him an fix an appointment !

Guy's name is Mehtaab .
Old 29th January 2009, 16:09   #9
BANNED

I had a similar problem. It led ultimately to the control unit inside the car failing. The car was also taking mutiple attempts before it would fire up the starter. Finally it gave up. I push started it and then took it to Hyundai. They almost immediately diagnosed it as a bad remote control, unplugged it from the loom and the car was up and running. They advised me to take it to the Autocop guy (Autocop make the Cobra units for Hyundai) and get it fixed. I decided to dispense with the remote (the car has central locking) and that is it.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The remote battery might be weak. Try replacing that battery and check first. Even just removing the old battery and putting it back in helps. Also try to see if the spare remote works fine.
I agree. I had an identical problem with my Baleno. After two years, the remote did not unlock the system, had to use the key, etc. and pandemonium resulted. Luckily I was at home, so I just opened up the remote, took the battery out, cleaned the contacts nd hey presto, all was well.
Replaced the battery with a new one, but once in a while the problem re-emerges. It's the contacts in the remote. I guess, with the humidity, inside shirt pockets, etc. they need to be cleaned often.

Last edited by filcord : 29th January 2009 at 16:14.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Did you try with your spare remote? If the remote is the culprit then you can check with the spare remote to confirm.
Mission Safari - I'd lost the spare remote a couple of years ago so no way to check with the spare remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Thanks. Me too managed to find this website
Welcome to AUTOCOP website [Total Security Solutions]#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Autocop usually offers 4-5 yrs warranty, search for your warranty card, you might be lucky.
Lucky -me? Naah Brother. Let's see what the autocop guys say

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I had a similar problem. It led ultimately to the control unit inside the car failing. The car was also taking mutiple attempts before it would fire up the starter. Finally it gave up. I push started it and then took it to Hyundai. They almost immediately diagnosed it as a bad remote control, unplugged it from the loom and the car was up and running. They advised me to take it to the Autocop guy (Autocop make the Cobra units for Hyundai) and get it fixed. I decided to dispense with the remote (the car has central locking) and that is it.
Well, I won't do this. It made me realise how important this was. Imagine someone opening the car and driving off but with the security system. All one has to do is, remove the side beeding and yank the locking console. Your central locking will open all the 4 doors. With the security system, atleast the engine won't crank till the time the steering cover is removed, wires are cut, the unit is unplugged etc etc. It may not eliminate the risk completely as a no one can stop a determined man but certainly minimises the risk.

Edit
Just got off the phone with the service center guys for Autocop
The service centre phone number for Delhi is
01125895832 - 38
There's an AMC scheme going on valid till 31st January. A payment 2300Rs will provide a warranty for the next 3 years + replacement of the existing faulty remote + a spare remote

Otherwise normal expense is
Service charge - Rs. 140 (Mandatory)
Replacement of remote - 675 (Mandatory)
New remote for the one i've lost - 920 (optional)
Warranty - None ( I think so)

Under these circumstances, the AMC doesn't sound like a bad option. Anyone using this scheme?

Thanks again guys. Really helped
Cheers!
m2s

Last edited by married2speed : 29th January 2009 at 16:37.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way to replace the remote? Don't think that a 2005 model will still be under warrantly. M2S
Yes,

Auto Cop will replace your earlier remote(s) with a new pair. I had similar issue with my Autocop installed on Indica. Remote was not working intermittently. I showed the same to Autocop and they promptly replaced the remotes in 15 minutes and charged 750 for 2 new remotes with 2 years warranty.

take care and drive safely
Old 29th January 2009, 16:23   #13
BANNED

@married2speed. In my view being stuck with a car without a starter is a bigger pain. May be I am wrong. In my experience the life of a remote system is not more than 3-5 years. I have seen this with BlackCat, Autocop, Silicon and now Cobra!
Old 29th January 2009, 16:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@married2speed. In my view being stuck with a car without a starter is a bigger pain. May be I am wrong. In my experience the life of a remote system is not more than 3-5 years. I have seen this with BlackCat, Autocop, Silicon and now Cobra!
Absolutely true my friend. Stuck with a car wtihout a starter is a big pain which I went through yesterday but imagine, being stuck without a car at all when it gets stolen. How does that sound for the imagination?
Old 29th January 2009, 18:14   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there a way to replace the remote? Don't think that a 2005 model will still be under warrantly.
They offered the extended coverage, with no questions asked, to my 2004 install Autocop (OHC Vtec). I don't see why that should be a problem. NOTE : They don't term it as "warranty" per se. IIRC, its "service contract" or similar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks