Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 21:04   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't use Key if the car has AUTOCOP?

Our corsa has this AUTOCOP thingy and the remote did not working for some reason. So I used the Key to unlock the driver's door and this really loud alarm goes off and the hazard lights start flashing. No matter what I do (start the engine, lock/unlock with key and everything possible) the alarm doesn't stop. I finally opened hood and cut the wires to the alarm sounder (first time I used my ornamental swiss knife). But the lights were still flashing and I was in a hurry so I drove with the flashing lights. After reaching my relatives place I switched off the engine and the AUTOCOP remote worked!!

Anyways I am happy that I chopped off that alarm sounder because I never liked the car to beep when I lock/unlock it. I used to press MUTE+LOCK combination to lock and unlock.

However I am confused why I was not able to operate the Key as expected. Is it not silly that if I install AUTOCOP, I can no longer use my Key to lock/unlock?
Old 1st February 2009, 08:58   #2
BHPian

Once locked from remote has to be unlocked using the remote itself, now if for some reason your rem is not working try the spare Rem. Lock /Unlock once and then start using the key. Still no go, i suggest get it repaired by Autocop before warranty runs out which is 3years.Autocop comes with Onsite repairs, he will come to your place and fix it for you.
Old 1st February 2009, 19:22   #3
BHPian

A few suggestions

The reason your car started beeping and flashing its lights was because the car detected an unauthorised entry.
Keys can be duplicated or, occassionally, the lock can be circumvented using other techniques (watch Nicolas Cage starrer 'Gone in 60 seconds' for ideas). The Autocop is designed to detect such a forceful entry and start beeping.
The only proper way to deactivate the mechanism is to use the remote.

If you do not like the sound of the car beeping, I suggest you continue to use the mute option on the remote. Cutting the wire will prevent it from beeping even in the event of a real break-in.
To give you an analogy:
It's like cutting the nerve(s) to a section of you arm. Even if it gets burned, you will feel no pain, but the damage will be the same.....more, in fact, because you won't even be able to detect getting burned.

I suggest fixing the wire so that it can start beeping if ever the need arises, God forbid.
And if the remote problem persists, like shreyas99 said, get it repaired by Autocop before warranty runs out.

Hope I was helpful.

Cheers,
Ajinkya
Old 2nd February 2009, 08:38   #4
BHPian

Hi Androdev,

Just like Ajinkya said, please get the Autocop checked with the service people.

I had a similar experience with my Sonata and the bad thing was that the car just wont start. I had to call the Autocop people and he recommended to use the remote if you lock the car using remote.

Since then, I have started using the keys itself, I feel much more sure that atleast the car wont be stalled at one place due to the remote's fault. (Though it is not completely it's fault, Autocop is just doing what it is supposed! :-) )

Regards,
Abhishek Jain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks